Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:51 pm 
Spammer

TerraNova wrote:
Plagued by Popularity
WoW had a rough weekend. The lack of stability has been so bad that Penny Arcade has decided to revoke their 2004 Game of the Year award. This, of course, comes on the heels of their concurrency announcement and amidst rumors that WoW is being pulled from shelves in order to limit growth.

With some shards having long queues and no method yet in place to transfer characters between them, I wonder how long it will be before WoW offers a "pay money to switch shards" option. Expect guild migration to quieter shards if that option appears before their scaling problems are solved.

I think our decision to pick a server with the least threatening, least famous name was a good call. I know we still have some lag (especially in IF and SW), but it seems nowhere near as much as the other shards.

I often wonder when in IF and SW in the heavily lagged areas... do we actually NEED to see every character around us? When lag is so high, why not only pass character location info only for those in your guild, friends list, in PVP mode, or ones you've chatted with lately? Otherwise, send the rest every X seconds... This would almost make all the busy areas into pseudo-instanced realms... nothing others really do effects you, except to make the area appear busy or to trade with you or to PVP against the NPCs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:01 pm 
Spammer

I found this comment on Penny Arcade to be extrememly telling:
Quote:
I still maintain that in the Massive genre it provides the greatest reward for the least nuisance

So many other related titles have been amazing masterpieces full of complex innerworkings and delicately balanced relationships. Sometimes, I feel that too much time and effort was put into the balancing and complexity... and not enough was put into minimizing user frustrations. SWG was an amazing expierience, a grand and lofty universe full of wonderful toys to play with. I eventually left the game because of minor (yet chaffing and repetitious) bugs and nuisances with the Bouty Hunter and Droid Engineer sub-systems. Even the delicious taste of spanking new content was dulled by the sourness of the ever-present pesky annoyances.

Could "Reward vs. Nuisance" be a new metric for which to measure predicted MMORPG success on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:03 pm 
Spammer

Guild wars if anyones played that is kinda interesting in that It has several city like areas inside castle walls market type of stuff which is open with several districts (seperate servers) that are easily switched between...but when u go outside hunting its all instanced with just you and your group..keeps the lag down usually lots of fun..

Didn't realize WOW was having so many lag problems though

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

It is my openion that 75% of the "lag" people experiance is thanks to their graphics card and not lantency. The reason I say this is because my PC still zips through Stormwind and Ironforge with no problems at all. Worst case is I have a 1-2 sec hickup five seconds after warping back to town.

My wife on the other hand has choppy play in the cities. More so during peek times. I doubt her issues are lag in the real meaning of the word, we are playing off the same network, she has no problems unless she is in town where her game is having to draw so much up close to her. Another reason her problem cant be lag is because when I decreased her vidio options 75% of her choppieness went away. Her problem is her Graphics card.

I am not trying to say WOW has no lag. AH delay is from too many people online... and that is something that needs to be fixed. I am just saying that many players dont know what they are talking about when they talk about lag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:41 pm 
Spammer

Bingo.

Most of the Lag is VC related...

I have a pretty decent set up, and the only lag I get is when I soul stone back to town (IF)

In the AH, I get database lag from time to time on the item refresh, but nothing major..

You have to remember, most of the complaints are from Battlenet kids that don't even know what VC they have, let alone whether or not it is up to specs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:44 pm 

I had lots of lag in IF this weekend... esp. when I went to the AH. It was so bad I couldn't even move for 5+ minutes. That was the first real problem with lag I've had in this game... been there many times before w/o those problems. I think there may have been something going on that was slowing things down this weekend, or maybe I've just never played when that many people were on.

Either way, I don't mind... I love this game, and I've experienced much worse lag issues in other games before.

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

I do get Lag but nothing I would concider major. Lag is part of any MMO IMO. I also agree that choosing a 'non-popular' Shard Name was a great call.

I know Blizzard is having issues but you really have to hand it to them for stepping up to the plate on this one. They are activly adding more hardware and by limiting the number of games on the shelve means they are loosing possible revenue. This to me shows they know the problem and are doing what they can to fix it. Of course this is easy for me to say as our server does not have many problems.

Did PenneyArcade announce the 'new' game of the year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:00 pm 
Spammer

Our server did have problems after about 2 days of being up. It was down for about 6 days?

But, we stuck with Dalaran figuring there would be reasonable attrition from the server. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:03 am 

In my experience, lag is mostly caused by lack of memory, not video card. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro which isn't much more than this game really needs but it handles things well enough that I can't really complain. I do however have a lot of lag when entering heavily populated areas which is mainly due to heavy disk activity because I have an antique motherboard with slow memory and only 768 MB of it.