It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silly Norwegians
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:31 pm 
Spammer

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... tanic_sign
Quote:
Norwegians Confused by Bush Salute

OSLO, Norway - President Bush (news - web sites)'s "Hook 'em, 'horns" salute got lost in translation in Norway, where shocked people interpreted his hand gesture during his inauguration as a salute to Satan.

That's what it means in the Nordics when you throw up the right hand with the index and pinky fingers raised, a gesture popular among heavy metal groups and their fans in the region.

"Shock greeting from Bush daughter," a headline in the Norwegian Internet newspaper Nettavisen said above a photograph of Bush's daughter Jenna, smiling and showing the sign.

For Texans, the gesture is a sign of love for the University of Texas Longhorns, whose fans are known to shout out "Hook 'em, 'horns!" at sporting events.

Bush, a former Texas governor, and his family made the sign to greet the Longhorn marching band as it passed during the inaugural parade through Washington during Thursday's festivities, explained Verdens Gang, Norway's largest newspaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:37 pm 
Spammer

hah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

bah! OK that is funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

Who says he wasn't saluting Satan?

Juuuuuust kidding, Talon! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:11 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Well I'd say this was a prime example of Bush being ignorant to foregien customs rather than the norwegians being silly. Being the president and an international representative of the USA he should be required to know about such things.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:31 pm 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
Well I'd say this was a prime example of Bush being ignorant to foregien customs rather than the norwegians being silly. Being the president and an international representative of the USA he should be required to know about such things.

Yeah, heaven forbid we offend another country during a domestic celebration. Man, we suck...so unthoughtful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:36 pm 
Spammer

ROFL ROCKY!!! :P

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:47 pm 
Spammer

Obo wrote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...just sick of the world's mindset that anything having to do with the US must be bad or wrong in one way or another. No worries, though, I'll not further publicize my contem...nevermind. Stopping now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

People really need to take a international business class. Seriously, you can fill a whole semester of all the weird customs and crazy beliefs people believe in around the globe. The thumbs up sign is negative in some countries, and it is positive in others. Some countries start counting with their thumb as one, where others hold their pointer finger out for one, and others consider holding the pointer finger out just as bad as coursing.

SO... anyone offended by the hand signals of one country is in serious need of one great lesson. The world is a big place; no one person can know all the ways that will offend different people! Learn that lesson before jumping to conclusions.

If you open a door for a lady: One lady may thank you, and another may think you are belittling her. Point is, no matter what you do, you may piss someone off. To spend you life worrying about those who have their feelings on their shoulders is to waste ones life.

In the words of that famous A-Wing Pilot: “There’s too many of them!”

Last edited by Cyrus Rex on Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:16 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Rocklar wrote:
X2-PB wrote:

Yeah, heaven forbid we offend another country during a domestic celebration. Man, we suck...so unthoughtful.
Ah sorry, I somehow got the impression he was in Norway at the time, hence the comment. My mistake.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Cyrus's mind wrote:
Well I'd say this was a prime example of X2 being ignorant to the locations of foreign events rather than the Bush being ignorant of foreign customs. Being a member of an international Player association and a leader of that largely US association he should be required to know in what country the US holds its inauguration celebrations.

I think the above statement is unfair! I :P do think it is funny as hell! :P

:idea: If that statement is unfair when it is aimed at X2, would X2 say that his statement about our President is unfair. After all those are X2's own words, with just the names swapped and the details fixed to match the situation.

I think the statement is not fair. I don’t expect X2 to know where inauguration celebrations are held. But I do expect him to jump to conclusions way to fast... along with a huge portion of the world. I wish I did not expect that… but it is true. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:17 pm 
Spammer

Silly British

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

bigyak wrote:
Silly British

:lol:
Avian International Relations Class 101
Chapter 3

KEY WORD: Silly

From PMs: X2 took offence to the title calling the Norwegians silly. Not major offence, bit the word silly was the fuel for his post.

See I read Yak's first post and I think: LOL look what Bush got into now. Silly man cant get a break. Silly Norwegians for having a national sign for the devil. :P

I think silly as in funny. Well as it turns out, just like bush’s hand sign, silly has different meanings across the globe.

Last edited by Cyrus Rex on Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Silly Humans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:54 pm 
Spammer

Obo wrote:
Silly Humans.

I take offense at being excluded from the above statement.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Talon1977 wrote:
Obo wrote:
Silly Humans.

I take offense at being excluded from the above statement.

Ok for you it could go like this:

Silly Sock Puppet Lover.

Or

Silly owner of a no WoW playing PC

Or

Silly Mavis wannabe! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:11 pm 

I didn't even know that was a sign for a devil until I read that newsstory.

Just to set the story straight, no newspaper in Norway have ever claimed that Bush or his daughter did the sign for satan. All the norwegian articles I have read about that picture, have correctly stated that it is a sign for Longhorns. Even the article that this english newsreport refer to, state that, although I would agree that it is not the best article I have seen.

There is a backstory to this though.

Some days prior to that picture got blown up in media, a norwegian ski-jumper won an award and showed that same sign on National TV as he won.

Since he has background in rock, and the sign is used as a common rock sign, he commonly use it when he is happy.

Some people (I guess the vocal minority, as most norwegian are not very religious, and probably didn't know that it was a sign for Satan until mentioned in the newspapers) critizised him for showing that sign, claiming it was a sign for satan. This then got blown up in the newspapers, as they love to write about controversies, however small and insignificant.

Last edited by Kyp Darron on Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:16 pm 
Spammer

Hey Cyrus....

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

NO THANKS

What does that name mean anyway. You call me that all the time and for the life of me I can't even remember what it means. All I know is when I think of you and it I get all cracked up and cant contain myself.

And at least tell me if I spelled it right!

On another note: I think it was great for Kyp to shed some light on the situation being that it went from silly (Read: Funny) to serious. Thanks a lot Kyp. Man it is cool to have friends all across the world.

Last edited by Cyrus Rex on Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Who, Mavis?

You don't know who old MB is?

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Nope. I don’t. Talon calls me that all the time.... it all started after he heard me as a guest on the Avian Radio Show right before SWG was released. He has even explained the name to me many times. But I can never remember it. That is what is so funny about it.

See when I call him a Mavis wannabe, which is like calling him a Cyrus Wannabe, just using his slang for me. SO you can see how he finds the name so offensive on many levels.

And I still don’t know who Mavis is, or why I got tagged with the name.

Last edited by Cyrus Rex on Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:31 pm 
Spammer

Obo wrote:
Who, Mavis?

And that, folks, is the funniest part of it all. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

I very well may be thinking of a different Mavis :P..... or am I.....who knows....... ........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Talon1977 wrote:
Obo wrote:
Who, Mavis?

And that, folks, is the funniest part of it all. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, that is why I think it is funny too. I dont know why the hell Talon is laughing.... but I think it is funny too

So everyone get it all in while you can. Funny times. Whoo Hoo!

hahah heheh lol lol lol ROFLAO and all that

Enjoy yourself with your silly internet laughter

/edit
Now that I think of it:
Mavis better not be gay.... I am not into that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

You know Cyrus, between you maniacal laughter there and your "mind" speaking to us.... I'm really beginning to wonder about you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

That is not my maniacal laughter .... I was mocking all of you. Before I found Avian I was not into all that "hehehe" weirdness. :P

Just tell me Mavis is straight so I can go to class with peace of mind. It is a long and important class (6-10PM) and this class has no student internet access. SO TELL ME NOW! :P

I don’t want this Mavis stuff keeping me from concentrating. “Industrial Estimating” is supposed to be a hard class even without all this Avian nonsense getting in the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe.... maybe not. Does it really matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Just know this:

I am walking out the door, on the way to my class.

You had the chance to intervene. As the keeper of information, the situation was in your hands. You had a chance to do what was right. You could have put my mind as easy.... but no.

Know this :twisted: Obo Al'can :twisted: . If I learn nothing in this class, it will be all your fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

/shout Everyone is Cyrus' school, Stay Away From The Bell Tower!!1!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:16 pm 
Spammer

The problem is everyone in the world can't learn to respect and understand one another.

A great example would be not being able to talk about politics and religion on the forums, or at least having it be frowned upon. This can't be done because some people here can't handle other peoples opinions, and comments very well.

Quote:
This is what we need, in my opinion:

"I believe a common world view is the only way in which we will all come to embrace each other's ideas, cultures, and mindsets to end hatred and false pretenses of the world."

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/WORLVIEW.html

-- Barcalla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:29 pm 
Spammer

Locke... go away. We're making fun of Cyrus right now. We'll make a post when we're done. Then you can be all deep and serious again. Unless of course you want to join in the fun. See above posts if you need examples. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:45 pm 
Spammer

Talon,

I got a serious conversation for you:

http://www.picpix.com/brad/pic/0004hszf/g218

Actually, I don't know what to say of this link, other than it overstates my point and has fairly ugly chicks in it.

But, in order to avoid the gutter if not completely, I give you:

http://www.ooze.com/finger/html/history.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:22 am 
Spammer

nice... real nice d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:38 pm 
Spammer

dbakke wrote:
But, in order to avoid the gutter if not completely, I give you:

http://www.ooze.com/finger/html/history.html

Talon, you'll have to give me a synopsis of what was on that link as I generally avoid URLs containing the words "ooze" and "finger." Can't be too careful, you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:57 pm 

LMAO!! :lol:

Enter MoonWorld

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:48 pm 
Spammer

Don't be shy Rocky, its an educational site. That page in particular is nothing more than a history lesson.

In fact, it is also a gift to our commie pinko leftist lib...I mean our Democratic colleagues. Why is it a gift you say? Because it provides a link to video footage of our President of the United States giving the bird to a TV camera.

Nelson Rockefeller was formerly the highest ranking official to ever be caught on tape giving the bird...but now 'W' has that distinction.

God Bless the USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:01 pm 
Spammer

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you kill me!