Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N52 Nostromo
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

I just picked this up. I've been eyeing it for a while and I know that Cyrus uses one and seems to love it.
I haven't connected it yet but just looking through the manual it seems really quite amazing. What is really cool it that it have a built in Macro Editor. this could be deadly in PvP or high level PvE with the right Macro inplace.

Im still thinking how I want to configure it for both SWG and WoW. I think in SWG it will be a great tool for Space Combat. I currently use a 4 button Optical trackbal as my mouse so this will be a great new toy to fiddle with.

One feature I think I will love for WoW is the Dpad controller. Seems like it will be easier than the WASD keys that I currently use.

Anyone have any cool profiles to share?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:28 am 

I use its little brother the n50 and yes its a GREAT advantage :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:42 am 
Spammer

Ravage was raving about this thing yesterday. What's wrong with all you people?? :P 'course I was one of the ones who fought against going to Windows from DOS, and then against Windows 95 from 3.1. I'm beginning to suspect I have a problem with change. that may explain why I keep running for Chairman too.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:05 am 
Spammer

I have it an love it. It's less useful for a game such as WOW, but still better than the keyboard.

It gets easier over time as you get used to your personal layout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:48 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Talon1977 wrote:
'course I was one of the ones who fought against going to Windows from DOS, and then against Windows 95 from 3.1.
You're still running Win95? Man, I thought my system was old! :P

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:09 am 
Site Admin

I have not put my n52 to use in WoW.... but I used the hell out of it in SWG. With mouselook the D-pad is great.... run backwards with the pad and look over your shoulder with mouselook as you fight. No more running blind! The shift stats are great. No matter how may combat macros I use, I can’t fill the thing up. I always had a whole shift state for long Star Wars sayings.

The macro editor is great. I wish I could create and edit in notepad then past into the editor.... but that is the only improvement I can think of. The editor is very good, and once you wrap your mind around all the things you can do, it seems like endless potential.

For example, in games have you ever realize that you have more things to remap than you have keys? Crazy key combos are not realistic on the keyboard because you can’t remember those whacked out key combos, if you make them simple they will likely overnight the good existing key combo assignments.... well make those combos crazy then macro them to one key of your n52. ctrl+shift+alt+tab+# is your friend now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

bump for those who wanted to see thing ingame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:28 pm 
Spammer

Thanks moge. Seems very odd and tough to see it being good to play with. I'll keep doing my research on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:20 am 
Spammer

Ok, so I've been doing some research and virtually every gamer review that I have read has been like 8-10/10. Sounds like a hit.

My only other question is how big of difference would there be between the n50 and the n52? I know the big brother has more buttons but has been described as a little bit less comfortable and has sticky buttons.

Does anyone have comments about their experiences or notice any problems with either model?

I only ask cause the price range is quite big if a get a new n52 off buy.com (about $25US) and find a used n50 on ebay (about $10US).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:31 am 

been looking at these for a while. will buy one soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:11 am 
Site Admin

Well Cyrus has been using it much longer than me but here are my thoughts.

I do not use the Dpad where your thumb is. I find it combersome to steer around with it there. Instead I mapped that for JTL as a free look.

I have 2 channels (there are 4). One for SWG Ground and one for JTL. I use the flat thumb pad (button 15) to toggle Alt key. For JTL I use 03,07,08,09 fro WASD and that is how I steer in space.

The buttons around it I have set for missles and toggles and targeting. I use my mouse and mouse buttons for blasters 1 and 2 and to turn.

The zoom wheel is nice as it is right there and easy to reach. I use the Orange button to toggle from Setup 1 (JTL) and Setup 2 (SWG).

You can program and button to anywhere you want you can even write macros. A fun one I have is for 05 and 10 which are my missles 1 and 2. I have a macro that is says "Firing Missle 1!" /whateverthefiremisslecommand is or "Firing Missle 2!"

There are loads of things you can do and I love it becuase I can make any macro I want.

the hardest thing to remember is just where you have everything mapped. Thankfully the 08 key has a little nub on it so you can feel when you are in your 'default' grasp of it.

Like most reviews have stated, it takes a few play sessions to get used to it. Now I cannot live without it. I think one thing that really helps me is that I also have a 4 button trackball so I can literally lean back in my chair and play without so much a twitch unless I want to type a chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

I own the n52 and n50. I like the n52 so much more. The new buttons make a big difference. Moge, If you are forgetting what keys you have mapped I suggest printing a table listing your key assignments. I have an example around here somewhere… I will see if I can find it.

/edit: here is the only SWG-n52 layout I can find. This version was a work in progress, and was not close to beign finnished... but it is an example of the page I would print out untill I learned my key bindings.

I was never a WASZ key user for MAJOR movement… I never used the up, down, left right keys for MAJOR movement. I have always used my mouse for almost all MAJOR movement. So I just don’t find myself using the Dpad for MAJOR movement. I almost never use it as my main movement device. 99% of the time I use Dpad for ground emergency combat. Usually this means using the Dpad for running backwards with my other hand mouselooking over my shoulder / steering to see what I am shooting at as I retreat.

In JtL beta I experimented with the Dpad in two ways.
1) when joystick control was horrendous, I used the Dpad for fine tune crosshair adjustments. Back then the slightest Joystick movement would move the ship drastically.... I used both my joystick and my Dpad.... the stick drove the ship, I used the n52 D pad to inch left, right up, down, to follow the target. This worked amazingly back then... However I think the joystick controls got better after I was blocked out of beta.

2) The second way I used my Dpad in JtL beta was kind of like a menu. I cant remember exactly but my set up was up/down cycled enemies in/out and left/right cycled firendlies. I sometimes used the Dpad to cycle weapons/fire settings. Basically back then I was setting up my joystick with all the MAJOR commands, and then passed many secondary commands that would not fit on my joystick onto my N52.

I think the people who say the #15 key is hard to push just are loony.... yeah is does not work like a normal key when you reach across from your keyboard to the N52 and hit #15.... but when your hand is in place, your thumb resting on the key and in that position the key works exactly as intended. When you intentionally put weight on your thumb the key will press.

I use the #15 key as the cycle shift. I usually use the red thumb as a cycle target.

Last edited by Cyrus Rex on Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

yeah I guess I should correct that. What I meant was I use WASD for JTL for speed up/down and roll right/left.

The rest of the buttons got for toggles and cycle targets as well as missles.

I just started using the Dpad mapping it for extra toggles useful in space. Target nearest enemy player, target nearest friendly etc.

I have a Joystick and often times think of using it in JTL but like Cyrus I found it way to sensitive to use (in beta).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:49 pm 
Spammer

Well, you guys have sold me on this. I see one lised on buy.com for $25US. The only problem is that the site does not allow payments from Canadian residents (sheesh, get with the times people).

So, I am forced to scour the electronics stores here or buy one off ebay, which I see for about $27US + shipping.

Edit - Per a website, I should be able to get one at a local store for $50CDN, so after the normal shipping and time I'd have to wait, works out not too bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:10 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

I think most of JTL's joystick problems have been solved since beta. I use a Sidewinder when I'm playing and have no problems with it except for it being a little slow in the turrets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:33 am 
Spammer

hehe. Must be every bug except this "bumblebee" one that got fixed then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:08 pm 

I just ordered mine and a joystick to go with it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

which stick did you get? I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Ive been tempted to try out again in JTL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:00 pm 

Talon1977 wrote:
Ravage was raving about this thing yesterday. What's wrong with all you people?? :P 'course I was one of the ones who fought against going to Windows from DOS, and then against Windows 95 from 3.1. I'm beginning to suspect I have a problem with change. that may explain why I keep running for Chairman too.

There's a Republican joke somewhere in there, but I won't make it.

The only experience I've had with this guy is watching a friend use it once at school. He seemed to enjoy it and he said it was very easy to use (he'd had no experience with anything like it before).

EQII: Alazin, High Elf Wizard

Former Section 4 Director

"Please, if anyone were to play Obi-Wan it would be me, with the 'Luke, Luke save me' and the lightsabers going 'Vvvwiinnngg, vvwinggg, vvvWING!' -- Professor Frink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:41 pm 
Spammer

ExarKun809 wrote:
The only experience I've had with this guy is watching a friend use it once at school. He seemed to enjoy it and he said it was very easy to use (he'd had no experience with anything like it before).

This "Joystick" thread is starting to sound a little naughty...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:17 pm 
Spammer

Oh Yak. You crack me up.

Oh and PS, got my n52 and trying it ingame WoW right now. Here's hoping for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:25 pm 

Bit late, but i'd just like to add to this discussion, that using the D-pad for movement in FPS games is unmatched. with the mouse for turning, and the d-pad for the WASD movement, once you get used to it, you'll never go back to key movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:48 am 

iJasonT wrote:
which stick did you get? I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Ive been tempted to try out again in JTL.

my first 2 picks at buy.com were sold out. i settled (if you can call it that) for that same loaded, but more expensive logitech extreme 3D pro twist :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:17 pm 

bigyak wrote:
ExarKun809 wrote:

This "Joystick" thread is starting to sound a little naughty...

Haha, nice job Yak, I didn't think anyone would get it.

EQII: Alazin, High Elf Wizard

Former Section 4 Director

"Please, if anyone were to play Obi-Wan it would be me, with the 'Luke, Luke save me' and the lightsabers going 'Vvvwiinnngg, vvwinggg, vvvWING!' -- Professor Frink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:45 pm 

woo hoo, finally recieved my new nostro 52 and logitech joystick. The joystick works great space flying and fighting. Not as 'touchy' as the mouse, but way more combat life like. Much faster cycling thru buttons to perform commands than to be 'key hunting' in the middle of a dogfight. It will just take a bit more training to get that 'finesse' feeling, so Ill be logging more space hours. Right now im trying to figure out how to program and assign commands to the nostro 52. That seems to be the bigger bite atm :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

yeah setting up your N52 is a task. Best I can recommend is do it while your ingame.

You can Alt-Tab to the desktop then select Nostromo from the task bar. Left Click on Profile, load your SWG profile, make changes, save and alt tab back to SWG.

This was the fastest for me. Also, be sure you load the SWG profile before you edit. By default it loads in a blank profile.

n52 takes a little work, but once it is set it is really great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:40 am 
Spammer

I have one of those old Win98 Sidewinder Force Feedback Pros (that vibrate when hit)... though I haven't been able to get windows to recognize it since moving to Win 2k. Any one have any suggestions? I've tried new drivers (there are none), and setting it up from the Control Panel, both as the MS Sidewinder stick, or as a 6 button stick with POV and Throttle... no good.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:38 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

bigyak wrote:
I have one of those old Win98 Sidewinder Force Feedback Pros (that vibrate when hit)... though I haven't been able to get windows to recognize it since moving to Win 2k. Any one have any suggestions? I've tried new drivers (there are none), and setting it up from the Control Panel, both as the MS Sidewinder stick, or as a 6 button stick with POV and Throttle... no good.

Any ideas?
I had a slight issue setting it up in XP. but simply went into control panel and did some sort of auto-detect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:02 pm 
Spammer

Great news Erime. Hope my "virtual joystick" thing helped. Man that was pissing me off until I discovered that tidbit (as was likely apparent in /gu :D )

Still tweaking it now. Think I'll get roll, max/min spd, matchspd, and a bunch of targeting cmds loaded into the first "shift" mode with other non-combat cmds (starmap, /comm, etc.) loaded into another shift mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:33 pm 

got my n52 on friday. it rocks.

anyone know any webistes that you can DL different loadouts for different games?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:33 am 

the only one I use is eitgher the few they have

http://web.belkin.com/support/tech/gameProfiles.asp

or I create my own...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:31 pm 

Angelus wrote:
Great news Erime. Hope my "virtual joystick" thing helped. Man that was pissing me off until I discovered that tidbit (as was likely apparent in /gu :D )

Still tweaking it now. Think I'll get roll, max/min spd, matchspd, and a bunch of targeting cmds loaded into the first "shift" mode with other non-combat cmds (starmap, /comm, etc.) loaded into another shift mode.

It must have helped because i set it the day you told me about it and left it like that until my joystick arrived. I plugged it all up, and it was ready to rock with no options changes at all!

Where is the matchspeed command? I found something like it, but i cant recall its name. Anyway, that one doesnt work at all. Also, isnt their a /follow command key somewhere?