Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Investing/Trading...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Are any of you guys active traders?

I was one right up until going back to college... Then Danyale made me sell out so my money would be easier to get to if we needed it. Good thing too because the market crashed a few months later. I did very well in those days; admittedly it was easy back then.

Well now that I am working again, and close to paying off my debt, I am getting that Stock Market itch again. Been watching CNBC more and more, taking notes during shows, and reading Jim Cramer’s latest book. After a heck of a lot of research, I even discovered that my old account with NDB was still open over at the new TD Ameritrade. I don’t think I like what I see there and will probably move over to Scottrade.

Anyway I am thinking about getting back in, but while gearing up over the next few months I wanted to see if there was a discussion to be found here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:47 am 
Spammer

was looking at something the other day wish i had invest in some of those cig companys...they took a hit with having that big lawsuit but we all knew they were not going to lose it and when they didn't their stock skyrocketed again. With school and stuff really don't have the money but at somepoint we shall see

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:48 am 
Spammer

I use TDAmeritrade (started as Ameritrade). While I didn't do a HUGE amount of research I think I chose wisely. My buddy who works for the SEC used TDAmeritrade before closing his account (bought a new house). Scottrade I believe has the cheapest trades (I think TDAmeritrade is 2nd at 9.99), but do some googling as I read that Scottrade's back office trade engine or whatever can be delayed so your orders might not process as quickly as some of the other online trading companies.

My investing strategy (more aptly called dabbling) has been extremely basic - consisting of using TDA's MarketEdge Analysis tool plus Business Week.

I've done ok so far - up 10% over-all in 2.5 months. Just a place to park excess money in the medium term.

The thing that I am doing for short term money, since I'm a Citibank customer, I signed up for their e-savings program linked directly to my checking account. It earns 5% and is easy to switch money between accounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:17 am 
Spammer

I have an avenue of investing that will guarantee you 15% gain on your money. If you're interested, let me know. I pertains to the real estate market. There's a $10,000 minimum investment though.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:31 am 
Spammer

Remember, investing is not to be used as a substitute for gambling. The folks that get into trouble are the thrill seekers.

Slow and steady wins the race most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:54 pm 
Spammer

Talon1977 wrote:
I have an avenue of investing that will guarantee you 15% gain on your money. If you're interested, let me know. I pertains to the real estate market. There's a $10,000 minimum investment though.

Wasn't that Sawyer's angle in LOST?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

dbakke, you caused me to give DTA another look.

I put Scott and DTA in a head to head, focusing on charting, and prospecting. I am now leaning towards DTA. I had not seen the command center until a few minutes ago. I am a very chart oriented guy, and I was not seeing what I wanted to see until I found the command center. The basic chart when you log in was very weak... but now I know how to find better. I am still playing around with the platforms, but I am glad I gave TDA another look.

Can’t wait to play with this tomorrow. I only work half a day each Friday and I cant want to see what this looks like when the markets are open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:49 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Buy Low, Sell High

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:13 am 
Spammer

bigyak wrote:
Talon1977 wrote:

Wasn't that Sawyer's angle in LOST?

I don't have any idea. I got bored with lost after about 6 episodes.

I have a very good friend who owns a company called "Strategic Investment Group." It's a real estate investment and development company that buys up foreclosed properties from the banks, and from individuals who need bailing out BEFORE they go into foreclosure. He's picking up a LOT of property for 40 to 60 cents on the dollar. Now, rather than having to get mortgages on those properties he's buying, he uses private investor money to buy with cash, giving him the flexibility to buy quick with cash.

So that's where your 15% comes in. He issues something like a CD and gives you a 15% return on whatever you invest with his company. It's not a bad little racket.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:24 am 
Spammer

Cyrus,

Keep us posted on what you decide and why. I'm interested to hear what route you take.

As you evaluate TDA if you haven't found this page, it may be useful. It was for me as I didn't have much of a trader / financial background to interpret some of the info.

http://thestreet.marketedge.com/MarketEdge/Help/WeeklyTechTerm.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:16 pm 
Spammer

business week article

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_31/b3995118.htm?chan=search