Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cell Phone Games
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:34 am 

The RAZR post got me thinking, you guys must have downloaded some cell phone games. Have you played any good or bad ones?

I've bought 4 total over the past 5 years.

Tetris
If you like Tetris you'll be happy. I think the game that I played was made by Jamdat Games. It was a solid port with

Orcs and Elves
Think Wolfenstein 3D (FPS) but instead of running and gunning, every step is a turn. You move, then your enemies move, you attack and then your enemies attack. You upgrade your armor and weapons from swords to crossbows to magic wands. The combat is pretty cool and there are some semi-interesting puzzle elements. It makes for an interesting story though it is a bit campy. This game was produced by John Carmack and 3D Realms.
Here's the website

Baldur's Gate
I cant find the website, but it looks good if you see a screenshot. It's a basic 3/4 perspective D&D game. Unfortunately it sucks. I think that it's the control scheme and lack of any turn based elements that make it lame. The story has you chasing down a evil wizard who is going to open a portal with these scrolls or somthing. Pretty standard fare. The customization of your character is lame, the menus and invitory system is extremely clunky, and the combat is just mindless wacking till you or the creature in front of you dies. The enemy roster is pitiful, and all of the player character models, from a Half-Orc Barbarian to a Elven wizard are the same. The maps are ugly and the movement is odd (Pressing up sends your character North East, right sends you North West etc...) and to make matters worse, you character will often get stuck on walls or tight corridors. I bought this game because I thought that I could trust the Baldur's Gate name... I was wrong.

The last game I bought I can't seem to remember the name for, but it was a fantasy based RTS. It was good for a no-multiplayer RTS, it was definitely challenging enough. If I remember the name I'll edit this post.