Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XBOX360: Gears of War
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:05 pm 
Spammer

Anyone played? If so, thoughts...supposedly an awesome game that MSFT is showcasing to get fence sitters to go with the 360 instead of waiting for the PS3...

I'm a fence sitter so wanted to see if anyone here has played it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:44 pm 
Spammer

Not out until Nov 12 (ie Emergence Day - MS and the publisher's marketing blitz word).

I have been following this sucker since E3 2005 and damn this is gonna be one fine piece of shooter goodness. Single player is gonna be outstanding and it supports co-op mode (splitscreen or online for 2 peeps). Think the multiplayer is only 8 people but with the duck and cover style of the game any more than what the devs have planned would make it too Halo-esque.

In my opinion, and I have been following the X360-PS3 debate a lot, MS is waaaayyyy out in front in terms of games lined up.

Post subject: Gears Demo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:41 am 

I agree, M$ is ahead of the game in terms of games. Even "Asassin's Creed" will be coming out for the 360.

I sold back oblivion today and pre-ordered Gears yesterday. I look forward to kickin some locust ass over co-op!

The EB (That's a game store for you Molson Ice swilling hocky nuts) near UCF is having a "Preview" of the game this Saturday at 9pm. Aparently they will have the game up and running and be giving demos of the gameplay. I might go out and check it out if I don't have anything else going on.

If I do I'll let you know how it looks.

After that I'm looking forward to:
- Mass Effect (360 only)
- Halo 3 (360 only, duh)

I played the splinter cell demo and I jave to say that I'm a little depressed. There is a co-op demo but it's just the multiplayer with the mercs played by bots. It might be fun with somone I know, but with the strangers online it was kinda lame.

We should all rent it one weekend and see if it's better than I thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:58 pm 
Spammer

Just got a 360 so that Jackie could practice her online poker. <wink>

I just finished the 1st part of Dead Rising, it was awesome. Lego Star Wars 2 is cool, and LOTR is good as well. I'm looking forward to Gears of War and all the others. If you have a PC with XP Media Center on it, you have the added benefit of watching videos, listening to internet radio stations, and playing all your hard drive photos on it.. nice feature for dinner parties. :)

I bought four wireless controllers, but haven't yet found a game to take advantage of more than two... any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:04 am 
Spammer

Me and 3-4 buds get together every Thursday and play splitscreen multiplayer (when 4 others come we just rotate sitting out the odd game).

The favs in my current collection for 4 players are GRAW and NHL07. Rainbow Six: Vegas could soon be added to that list as it supports this format too.

GRAW - for a super challenge we play custom campaign games where we do not have respawns so we advance quite cautiously. After months we cannot pass the second campaign level this way.

NHL07 - we select a non-super power team (the Swiss are our favs btw) and play a World Cup tournament every other week. Lotsa fun being able to yell at your buds right there for going offside on a perfectly set up 2 on 1 rush.

I am still hoping GoW will have bots in it to allow offline 4 player games but I think my hopes will not see fruition. Da well, the few of us with 360s will have to get together and do some online co-op and vs battles.

Splinter Cell might be another option for MP but it only allows 3 spies v 3 mercs at a time. WTF were they thinking? System has 4 controllers, how tough is it to balance with 1 extra player a side? Idiots! Got the demo last night and am looking forward to trying or renting the game tonight.

PS - we do have EBgame up here too ya knucklehead :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:45 am 
Spammer

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,227443,00.html

I'm still up in the air about getting a PS3 or a xbox360, but this was pretty funny.

Germany banned the game!

Post subject: Gears Rocks!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:45 am 

I was playing Gears last night, all I have to say is, wow. All the hype is legit. I feel like the graphics are good, but not mind blowing, but the gameplay... especially the co-op fucking rocks. It's not your standard run and jump shooter, it's much more like the tactical shooter "Brothers in Arms" (flanking and voice teamwork are extremely important). But the strategy doesn't slow down the game play. I love it.

Gamer tag: Madran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:44 am 
Spammer

Yeah, GoW is pretty cool. Jackie loves to sit on the couch and yell out commands to me -- "go right!" "duck!" "Watch around that corner!" "Use the shotgun!" "Aim at his head!"

Good stuff. Best quad based game I've ever seen, bar none. Reminds me (a bit) of RL urban infantry courses.

Best feature - you and a friend can either:
1) Play (split screen or remotely) the campaign together
2) Play (split screen or remotely) online multuplayer. I've never seen another game where you both can play on the same conslole multiplayer with others...

..Poker night is turning into XBox night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:57 pm 
Spammer

I have played through the first Act solo now, and one night of online versus. I second Madson's comments. This game is da schizzle!

Great gfx, but better yet, amazing gameplay. Love the cover system (though the "A" button tends to have too much functionality imo).

I swear the first time I encountered one of those Beserkers I peed myself. So freightening.

gamertag: WarKryme Send me a friend request and we can most definitely play some co-op or versus.

PS - Mads, I should be on tonight at the agreed time as long as the cable company comes and hooks up the internet/cable at our new house as scheduled this afternoon. Can't wait to game with ya again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:44 pm 
Spammer

Yeah, lots of fun, though my reflexes ain't what they used to be. (Translation, you probably don't want me on your team).

Handle: JuneTheBaboon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:46 pm 

Bigyak, if angelus can't get his internet working tonight we can hook up and work through your noobleeness. Having a bad human on co-op is better than a great AI bot, so I'm all for it.

If Angelus does get his moose smoke signals (or whatever it is that they use for the internet up there in the freezing north) working then maybe we can all get in on a team and rock some people online. Communication is at least as important as aiming skill in this game, and we'll be able to work together well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:28 pm 
Spammer

Someone asked in raid chat a couple weeks ago if they knew the song.

i finally saw the ad on TV and I have to say, sadly, I know the song. TFF/Mad World/First album...whatever it's called.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
sadly, I know the song

How could you not know it? You couldn't get away from it over here when it was number one at christmas a couple of years ago. But it is a cover by Gary Jules that was on the Donnie Darko soundtrack, not the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:07 pm 
Spammer

Obo wrote:
Quote:
sadly, I know the song

How could you not know it? You couldn't get away from it over here when it was number one at christmas a couple of years ago. But it is a cover by Gary Jules that was on the Donnie Darko soundtrack, not the original.

Tears for Fears had some success in the US around 1985? on their second album and this was from their first.

As for the Donnie Darko, I didn't know that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't played it but I watched an hour long program on MTV on Gears and it just looks awesome.
Not sure if one game is enough for me to buy a gaming system but it does look very cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:08 am 
Spammer

Donnie Darko is an amazing cult classic. Love that movie. Seeing the commercial with the DD tribute was the only reason I bought the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:56 am 
Spammer

Yak - I'll send you a friend request tonight when I get online.

Mads and I played some co-op together last night and had a blast. Then we played some versus is a few different random matches. We couldn't hear our other 2 teammates talking and needless to say got owned rather harshly. Communication is key.

Don't worry about reflexes. I too was crap but now after a few battles under my belt now I am getting lethal with a controller once again (ahhh, reflections of the GoldenEye days). You, me, Mads, and one other as a team will kick some arse.

Oh and PS - Mads, I played some more versus after you logged last night and found that I really like the Mansion level. Something about it makes me one heck of an efficient killer, not like that wastelandish level we were playing and continually dying on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:36 pm 

Yeah, Angelus and I still need to get better at knowing the maps as well. Tonight I plan on getting some ranked matches under my belt. I'll probably be on before 6:30 EST though, whenever I get back from the gym, so Angelus will probably be at work still. I'll add you tonight bigyak. My playtime is usually limited, but we'll probably hook up at some point.

As for tonight... I'm sure I'm going to get slaughtered at first, but hopefully I'll get better by the end of my playing session. Or I'll just get pissed at all the bastards who are whoopin' my ass and quit... let's hope for the former.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:04 pm 
Spammer

I tried ranked matches the other night. Success all depends on how much you and your squad communicates. Since in ranked matches you automatically get paired up with random people (i.e. cannot invite friends), that could be difficult.

In the 2 games I played, no one else talked on my team in either game and we got slaughtered. GoW is not designed for "lone wolf" gameplay. So I got frustrated and quit that night, plus it was after our marathon co-op session and I was tired.

But damn was that awsome taking that pump station down. We so have to start an insane campaign from Act 1 and finish it straight through over a couple weeks.

FYI - I just finished Act 4 (hardcore) solo last night so am getting close to finishing the game. I have buds coming over for guys' gaming night tonight so am unlikely to get on.

See you monday for sure tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:36 am 

I was trying my hand at vs. matches as well the other night. I found that I kept getting a "non-communicating" PUG against what seemed to be a guild team. These guys were waiting for their friends. Usually speaking what I think was Korean (it sounded asian, but didn't have the tonality of Japaneese or Chineese). I was on a 7:00 am EST on Saturday. No sane english speaker gets out of bed that early! I finally asked one of the english speaking guys how they got together. They said that it was that one of the guys sets up the game and the others look for him as the host. I know it's so stupid, why didn't we think of it earlier?

Angelus and Big Yak, this week I'm going to host games from 8:30 EST to 9:30 EST. Just to try it out. At 9:30 Angelus and I will do our weekly co-op thing. I'll send a message out to all my close friends and you can do the same. Maybe we'll get some fun matches going where we won't be totally out gunned by professional couch potatoes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:21 pm 
Spammer

I didn't think you could see the hosts in the listings. Maybe I just didn't look close enough.

I will be on normal time tomorrow, though I am contemplating a sick day as I have been feeling very crappy all weekend and just need sleep.

If I stay home I will be on at your noted times Mads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

I'm in!
Got my 360 lastnight. I have GoW and Fight Night Round 3.

I haven't played to much but I plan to set up my Live account tonight after I get home from work. I'll post my name when I have one.

All in all GoW looks amazing. The controls are a bit odd for me so it took me a while just to get the hang of it. The story and cut scenes are great though. I'm on easy mode but once i get the controls down I'll switch to hardcore and go at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:03 pm 

Angelus and I learned that you have to have at least 6 people online to start a ranked match in GoW. But we can all hook up through close inspection of the game host, and solid communication on the specific game type that being hosted. I still feel that communicatoin is key, all we need is 2 more of you guys to get on and we'd probably do pretty well against most PUGs.

Once again, I'm draggin ass at school today because of another co-op extravaganza last night. Angelus and I cleared Act 4 together with only 2 real sticking points (the split path through the bombed out building and the locust blitz on the front of the mansion). We worked well together, Angelus was the head poppin' sniper and I was the up close chainsaw your face grunt. I felt like I died more than my fair share, but I guess it comes with the up-close "tip of the spear" position; or I just suck. Hell of a time though, co-op is a ton of fun.

I just had a great idea! 4 player Co-op! Cole and Baird! Would that rock or what? Get me a phone! I gotta call Cliffy B!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:44 pm 

Congrats iJasonT! Welcome to the club, my handle is Madran, I'll gladly hang with you while you get your GoW bearings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:55 pm 
Spammer

Yep, definitely add WarKryme (me), and Madran (Madson) to your friends list as soon as you get up and running on live. If I am ever online and you wanna co-op just send me a message. Co-op is da schizzle.

With another Avian on the 360 train, we are so close to some delicious GoW versus matches. Maybe even some ranked ones. Soon I will no longer be the victim of crappy random groups hahaha :twisted:

And Mads, c'mon, suck it up. It wasn't that late. hehe, j/k, bout 1130 if I recall correctly by the time we shut er down? Damn fun good times though.

And waaaaayyyy back when I first started following GoW's development, I was soooo hopeful they would have 4 player online and splitscreen co-op capabilties. They only hit 2-player this time around but gives me something to wish for in GoW2.