Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Whats a good solo game out there? I am looking for a good solo game to pass the time.

I realy wanted to crank up Sim City 4, but I have several disapointing memories. Do I need to get the rush hour expansion to get rid of several of the bugs? I liked the idea of several cities in one region, but felt the cities were too small.

Whats a good solo game out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:51 pm 
Spammer

I'm thinking about Sid Meier's Pirates! Everybody is talking about it again in the PotBS forum.

Seems like we have this conversation every few months here. And I'll also give me standard answer of Total War. Currently I'm playing Rome Total War. Awesome game. Medieval Total War is a classic too.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Last edited by Talon1977 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:52 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Talon1977 wrote:
I'm thinking about Sid Meier's Pirates! Everybody is talking about it again in the PotBS forum.
What he said.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:02 pm 

Sid Meyers Pirates is a heck of a lot of fun, but I don't see it having a lot of replayability.

Try CIV IV :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Agree. Pirates is fun but it can be played for maybe 2-3 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:26 pm 

iJasonT wrote:
Agree. Pirates is fun but it can be played for maybe 2-3 days.

QFT.

Just dug out Starcraft and am running through the scenarios. Still a very fun game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:48 pm 
Spammer

I've been dabbling in a bit of Oblivion lately. And when I want to get away from spells and swords, I fire up Call of Duty 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

CoD 2 and 3 both truly rock! Awesome games. Oblivion is good as well but as rocky said, Spells and Swords can get old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:33 pm 
Spammer

Aaaaaaaand...CoD4 is coming back to the PC! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:08 pm 

Rocklar wrote:
I've been dabbling in a bit of Oblivion lately. And when I want to get away from spells and swords, I fire up Call of Duty 2.

I LOVED oblivion, I put like 107+ hours into that game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:59 am 
Spammer

Total War Series are a lot of fun too

If you were a fan of the MOO franchise Galactic Civilizations 2 is a fun game that is good stand-in for where MOO3 went wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:50 pm 
Spammer

Not a solo game...but a free game NavyFields fun modern naval combat game (modern as of circa 1945 or so) customize your ship level your crew and wreak havoc upon your foes... I just got into it not bad, kinda fun going around and learning how to aim ur guns and torps properly and watching as bigger ships are crippled by your fast little destroyer :)

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:25 am 

navyfield is nice, and ive got to cruisers with it, but it got a little bit boring with all the time i put into it, and if you get enough torpedoes you can sink battleships with your destroyer :twisted: , i always kept aiming for an aircraft carrier but it just takes too long for me, still well worth spending time on

but its not solo, if you want something nice for solo id suggest sid meiers pirates!

lots of possabelities, even if you finished the quests, found treasures and all, theres still getting one faction to own all the carribean, like im working on the dutch now, ive eliminated the french and english, and theres 6 spanish towns left :D

also, civilisations IV(or whatever its spelled :P ) is entertaining if you got the time, and it won't run properly on old computers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:53 pm 

dbakke wrote:

If you were a fan of the MOO franchise Galactic Civilizations 2 is a fun game that is good stand-in for where MOO3 went wrong.

heh, I've been playing MOO2 this weekend. It runs a little rough on this beast of a pc but I can get a couple hours in until the graphics bug out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:18 am 
Spammer

dbakke wrote:

Alright d. Because you've never steered me in the wrong direction before, I downloaded a demo for GC2. And so far, you're right! The ship building rocks!! There's lots of other things that they did right as well.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:15 am 

Dark Messiah Might and Magic is pretty fun, pretty good story as well. Game took me about 4 days of play to beat with a few hour sessions at a time. But i can see some re-playability for normal people, playing through as each class. Warrior, Mage, Thief. That being said, i cheated my way though, cause i'm lazy, and impatient, so i probably won't play it again. But the gameplay itself was pretty fun, and challenging, up to the point i became a god. Theres online play as well, but didn't install that on my computer, so can't testify to it.

Anyway, yeah, i'm in the same boat of looking for stuff to play till pirates as i'm done with EVE for the time being.

next on my list of games i have but have never played.... Battle for Middle Earth 1 & 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:21 pm 

Ravage wrote:
Dark Messiah Might and Magic is pretty fun, pretty good story as well. Game took me about 4 days of play to beat with a few hour sessions at a time. But i can see some re-playability for normal people, playing through as each class. Warrior, Mage, Thief. That being said, i cheated my way though, cause i'm lazy, and impatient, so i probably won't play it again. But the gameplay itself was pretty fun, and challenging, up to the point i became a god. Theres online play as well, but didn't install that on my computer, so can't testify to it.

Anyway, yeah, i'm in the same boat of looking for stuff to play till pirates as i'm done with EVE for the time being.

next on my list of games i have but have never played.... Battle for Middle Earth 1 & 2.

il just say skip Battle for middle earth 1, the graphics are ok but the gameplay is really bad, as small example, gimli has more hp then most buildings, and units are groups of 5, you need alot to actually make a good battle

i don't know about 2, don't have that one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:26 pm 

If you're a Civ4 fan, download a mod called Fall from Heaven 2 at CivFanatics.com. It really changes the feel and play of the game and it's an amazingly done mod by 'fans'. I started playing it Sunday and have played everyday since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:19 pm 

Xenus wrote:
Ravage wrote:

il just say skip Battle for middle earth 1, the graphics are ok but the gameplay is really bad, as small example, gimli has more hp then most buildings, and units are groups of 5, you need alot to actually make a good battle

i don't know about 2, don't have that one

Xenus, After playing through most of Battle for Middle Earth, i'll just add to this thread that you no longer have any influence on my choice of games cause i've deemed you must be on crack. (not that you had influence, since i still played it) but this game is hella fun.

Running around through middle earth with your own armies that you create, and take with you... batallions that level up the more battles they're in.. the more they kill. and following the fellowship on their paths is just pretty damn cool.

I didn't have much in the way of expectations for the game, but they were far exceeded anyhow. Looking forward to playing the second incarnation once i'm done with this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:03 pm 

So far Voyage Century has been a great solo game :lol:

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:00 pm 

I played Pacific Storm a while back and it's very, very good.
Think 1942 Pacific Total War with heavy resources management.

Here are some screens I took then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:37 am 

il just say it wasn't crack i was on, but just plain alcohol(battle for middle earth is good, but some logic errors pissed me off just a few moments before posting that post) :oops:

and then i would say command and conquer 3, tiberium wars, if you like RTS thingys, and graphics are really nice

and as a side note, where can i get that game pacific storm? looks good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:02 pm 
Spammer

The COD4 demo is out! DLd it but haven't made the time to play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:15 pm 
Spammer

I have the COD4 demo DLd too. Just gotta install.