Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:37 pm 

Clicky

the website: www.darkfallonline.com

The guild beta application http://www.darkfallonline.com/cb/apply.php

Seems like they want guilds for the beta, not just individuals... anyone have an interest in looking into it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:30 pm 
Spammer

Looks ambitious!

Sign me up, Ravage. 8)

(or at least let's get coordinated on 'clan name' etc...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:44 am 

Sure why not, sign me up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:00 am 
Spammer

Sure why not :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:47 am 

sounds intresting, but seems like a WoW clone(to lesser extend, there appear to be lots of stuff that make it difrent from WoW)

seems like a fine MMO from, maybe il check it out in 3 or 4 years after PotBS :D

if you could sign me up for it too(bored to death at the moment) it would be very much apreciated (hope they allow people that are under whatever age in)

so... yeah, it seems good

(longest post in tread)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:16 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
seems like a WoW clone

Thought Darkfall was supposed to be one of those anti-WoW hardcore PvP PKer paradise?
Not that I'd bother to look... that would take effort!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:19 am 

Obo wrote:
Quote:
seems like a WoW clone

Thought Darkfall was supposed to be one of those anti-WoW hardcore PvP PKer paradise?
Not that I'd bother to look... that would take effort!

Looking through the site there should be alot of crafting.
How 'bout Obo? Making an Avian Bench or the Obo Chair?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:04 am 

Looks interesting. Not sure I could spend any time on it but if anyone does, I would appreciate their feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:47 pm 

Sigh... so i take it from the response here, i've been the one chosen to be the figurehead on this one... and that i'll have to sign the guild up right? seems like an awful lot of out of character effort for me.

bah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:02 pm 

Alright, I signed up the guild... I think. will let you guys know if i hear anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:19 pm 

Also for the record,

This game strikes me as nothing like WoW, as Obo alluded to above.

For starters, the buildings and other architectural models, as well as the clothing details appear to come from a european 15th century model, instead of the cartoony and reduced designs you see in WoW.

Not to mention the polygon count on the models is twice that of WoW, or at least they're using high res texture mappings with difference maps to simulate that effect.

The advanced economic system beats the WoW model of auctions as well as expanding the combat models from one on one to ship based... and also, the true clan based persistant warfare. This beats WoW's horde vs Alliance model, in which all the vs combat is undone on a respawn. In theory, you take over an island in this game, you hold it until someone comes along and takes it from you.

This game could be amazing if they manage to deliver on their promises for it. Time will tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:39 pm 

Well maybe I'll take a look for myself, though I'm not sure I can play a game, as good as it looks, whose sole purpose it seems is to be different than wow. They might as well put it in their mission statement. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:12 am 

i might have been wrong with the seems like a WoW clone statement, at least thats what im thinking now,

but i think it might be that WoW was my first MMO, thats probably why i keep seeing wow-like things in other games

(that game looks better evry time i check the site)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:57 pm 

Looks like they're in way over their heads.
One ginormous sandbox.
But-
Player created RTS style cities - way cool for an MMOG.
It'd be unstoppable if it has a global conflict that effects everything in the game (like the GCW never lived up to).

Worth looking at - sign me up.

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:45 pm 

An article explaining how Darkfall is different from current MMOG game designs:

http://df.warcry.com/news/view/75175

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:08 am 

I really thought this was vaporware now... guess they're working on it again. I know two years ago they started accepting guilds into beta (I know of a couple) and they they kind of slagged off and did nothing for a good year. Even those beta guys lost interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:49 pm 

i have planned out 3 years after PotBS comes out for PotBS, but RTS citys, real player skill, and possably an economy that works :!:

i think i had a dream of that combination once(actually a set of dreams, no joke)

if this game is as good as it seems i might have to take at least 1.5 years of my planned PotBS time, but thats something il see then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:36 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

You'll never get a virtual economy that truely really works until you accurately simulate a real economy without the artifical sources and sinks that you have in all games. You need one single bank in the game that actually regulates the level of inflation which should be the one and only source in the game. There has to be a finite amount of money and a finite quantity of resources. NPCs have to trade and move money about in the same way that PCs do. And that is simply too much work to put into a game.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:05 pm 

Just wanted to say excelent article you found there Deak.

I never really thought of the current state of MMO design, but that really sums it up.

I've said it before, Darkfall boasts a lot of promises... but they've been working on it for over 5 years now, and thats commitment given the naysayers they've been up against. if they can pull it off, this game will change the face of MMOs forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:50 pm 

I wanted to say NO, not ANOTHER FANTASY MMO...

but...this actually looks pretty hopeful. The only worry is, if players create the rules....it better not be some asshat teen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:50 am 

Cordalis wrote:
I wanted to say NO, not ANOTHER FANTASY MMO...

but...this actually looks pretty hopeful. The only worry is, if players create the rules....it better not be some asshat teen.

if an asshat teen creates the rules, get a group of more mature people, kill the asshat, and make your own rules?

(unless i missed the text saying you can't kill the guy with the rules)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Xenus wrote:
if an asshat teen creates the rules, get a group of more mature people, kill the asshat, and make your own rules?

At least that's the theory.
But how long do you think you could keep that up without getting pissed off? The roving bands of asshats will vanish like a fart in the wind at the mere hint of a fair fight, but will magically reappear to prey on the weak or isolated and dance one the corpses waving their e-peen. And they'd gladly spent all day doing it.

This has Shadowbane, Dawn, Wish, Horizons, etc, etc written all over it. This doesn't look like it's ready to revolutionise anything, but is rather set to repeat history.
Most ironic thing about all the moaning about the 800lbs gorilla that is WoW, is the failure to look around it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:46 pm 

i agree that it will eventually come down to patience, who can keep running longest, but thats still fun if you like cat and mouse(or cops and robbers or whatever) kind of games

all this could probably be avoided by a (fair)way to stop people from running

and a good system making asshats hated by evrybody and hated by even the npcs would help getting some to be a bit nicer

and wow has a lot of subscribers, so that means it must be doing something good.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:28 pm 

looks interesting - sign me up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 pm 

For all i care, the asshat teen tards can stay in wow. would make me much happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:43 am 

Ravage wrote:
For all i care, the asshat teen tards can stay in wow. would make me much happy.

So true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:43 pm 
Spammer

Location: Cork, Raining-all-the-time-island. (not this one, the other one)
Quote:
You'll never get a virtual economy that truely really works until you accurately simulate a real economy without the artifical sources and sinks that you have in all games.

To simulate a real economy, you must have something that will never happen: that losing money hurts people for real. Else it's just playing with monopoly bills anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:42 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

True Sluggy, there is that!

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:17 am 

There are asshats in EVERY MMO, not just wow, but there are also people that really like to go against them. WOW, in many ways, limits the battle between the two. This game, if it delivers its promise, would open that up.

I've read a ton about this game in the last week and I'm pretty much convinced that it won't come to much. It just seems to ambitious and open ended. I hope I'm wrong because I'd really like to give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:56 pm 
Spammer

yeah, i think an open mind with a healthy dose of skepticism given everyone's fairly significant previous gaming experience is warranted...but folks should take a wait and see attitude before writing the game off..

after all that's what beta is for :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:08 pm 

Hey folks! :)

Benn a while to say the least.

I just found out Avian is showing an intrest in Darkfall

The folks over at TCO were introduced to it about a week ago and we have a few dozen members intrested allready.

To answer a few of the questions I saw skimming over the thread.

Yes. Darkfall if full PvP. Anyone can be attacked anywhere. The combat system is very twitchy. And when you attack someone who is not a racial or clan enemy or not of evil alignment, you take an alignment hit and a step towards evil yourself.

Tho player cities may be attacked(Sieged) the balance weighs heavily in the favor of the defenders. The attacking clan may only attack during a window the defending clan has chosen and the attacking clan must use a device that makes all their clan cities vulnerable to attack during the entire siege.

Darkfall staffer wrote:
Attackers are at a huge disadvantage in Darkfall for sieging. Not only do they have to attack during the defender's preferred time, they must go through the excruciating logistics of wheeling out siege engines and planning naval superiority/caravan interdictions/supply choking/etcetera. Not to mention that there's no way to circumvent defensive structures except to destroy them (no flying over city walls!).

Of course that's only half of it. One of the biggest penalties for large clans to overcome is an ingenious little game mechanic that actually scales and becomes more crippling to attackers as their nation grows. When an attacker lays siege to any city, all of that clan's cities become vulnerable to counter-attack. The larger a clan's territory becomes, the more difficult it will be to simultaneously assault their victims and defend their far-stretching borders from their enemies. Coincidentally, the larger clans get, historically, the more jealous and fearful their neighbors become... so you can imagine that it won't be very long before a conquering clan reaches critical mass and no longer has any advantage simply because of numbers.

Put yourself in the shoes of an emperor of a massive player clan. Are you really going to risk losing 2-4 of your own cities just to swipe some small clan's clanstone with bad infrastructure and poorly built up defenses? It'd be more of a liability than anything else.

The economy is robust with everything being player craftable.

Looting is full on. You can fully loot players AND NPCs use equipment. You kill an NPC that was using a bow, then switched to an axe and wore platemail? He'll have those on him when you loot his body along with any other bits of precious he had in his packs.

The world is huge. Vast underwater areas, abundant underground territory including cities (And so far as we have seen player cities may also be buildable underground, tho no terrein deformation) mountains that go thousands of feet into the sky, hundreds of islands and 5 contenents to use.

The NPC hiring and control system seems great as well. Your NPCs can adventure with you, be preset with commands to execute under certain conditions, they can guard your cities when you're offline, go out into the world and chop wood for you or mine as well as carry items for you.

Equipment has voulume and large amounts will need to be moved by ship or caravan. The tactical consequences of which are endless.

This is just some of what we have uncovered in the last week and I encourage you all to sign up for their forums and find our more. Join the discussions and say something nice about me....even if you need to make it up. :)

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:14 pm 
Spammer

Amy! A heckuva surprise to see your name pop up here!

That's good info you have about Darkfall - thanks for passing it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:25 pm 

Thanks for the post Amy, lots of good info to hopefully get some more peoples over here to take a serious look at the game. The sheer fact that the economy is completely player driven has yet to evoke a response from the majority of the crowd here, when i figured it'd be the main selling feature for a guild of crafters.

For the rest of you... suppose since i've been unoficially nominated as the head of avian for interest in Darkfall, i'll begin talks with LA and TCO about working together to build our own empire if we get in on this full steam...

as i've already established rapport with several of the members in TCO from my time in TCO-EVE division, i should be able to use that sway to give Avian the unfair advantage in negotiations. though Amy is a cunning negotiator, she will fall to the might that is Ravage.... oh... what?.... we're gonna be on the same side? damnit. ok fine. we'll work something out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:08 pm 

I am looking closer at it Ravage, just have been very busy the last week or so barely been online lately

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:22 am 

:)

Also consider, tho it is a full PvP enviroment. I am all for it, which in itself should tell you something.

Unlike SWG which had choke points in the form of starports, DFO is a single open world allowing you to travel by land or by sea without the need to bottleneck into slaughterhouses for trade.

Also the alignment system makes it hard for gank squads to operate in certain areas where evil alignments would be attacked by NPC guards.

Sure if you are in the middle of a good aligned city in a bar and royally tick someone off they might knock you unconsious or even kill you and take the alignment hit. But I am betting there will be a lot more (relatively) safe areas than most people believe.

Plus the excitement of putting together a caravan of goods and a bunch of us escorting it thru unsafe territory to reach a market that will provide 5 times the profit is just plain appealing.

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:57 pm 

Greetings

Dirk Gently Here. TCO

For those of you that may be interested here are two posts that I have on the Dark Fall forums.
The primary aims of these posts are: 1) Getting some constructive conversations going & 2) Feeling out the DFO community to see what they are thinking.
There will be more posts along these lines as things progress.

Drop in and post whatever comes to mind, if you get the urge.....

Treaties and Alliances

Economics & Warfare

Doh, can't post a link yet....

Last edited by Dirk Gently on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:02 pm 
Spammer

link issue may have something to do with webmaster Obo being upset with bots :madobo:

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:05 pm 

Ya, that's what the forum said. I have to post 2 legit posts before I can drop urls.

....that said, this is my second legit post...

...and I need to wait 24 hours... sorry about that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm.... I don't know now. I think he could be a bot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:03 pm 

Obo wrote:
Hmmm.... I don't know now. I think he could be a bot!

....am too not a bot.

For cheap online gold prices goto chinesegoldfarmers;com, disatisfaction gaurenteed