Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LOTRO 7-Day Trial
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:33 pm 
Spammer

Seems LOTRO is now doing a 7-day trail, which I am going to try and check out.

http://www.lotro.com/trial/

Only problem is I can't seem to get the activation page up, probably due to overload.

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:33 pm 

im gonna check it out, i got into beta but never had a desire to play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:37 am 
Spammer

Seems quite interesting. Mind you I'm always impressed right at the start. Some interesting concepts mind you.

Quest XP vs. Grind XP seems quite high relative to WoW.
Monster Play appears an interesting concept.
Deeds and Traits look interesting.
Crafting looks standard.

My machine is mostly the same as I built for SWG, so I have no idea really how nice the graphics are, but I like the idea of playing in ME.

Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:13 am 
Site Admin

I played this for a few days after launch. I had mixed feelings about it.
The Quest XP - and quests in general were nice. If I was a LotR nut I would have probably really liked this game.
The lag (when I played at launch) was insane. No idea if they fixed that.

In general, it was a nice game. I can see why people would like it. It just didn't work for me personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:03 am 

Is anyone here actually playing regularly?

I was wondering how there subscription numbers are doing and can't be arsed to waste my time and check it out.

I predicted this would be a 3 to maybe 6 month game.

Tolkien hooks you into playing and when you find out its just another WoW clone, you unsubscribe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:36 pm 

I did a quick snoop and poop at there forums, it looks like you can't register unless you have an account kind of thingy.

They claim four million "characters", what that translates into accounts is up to interpretation I guess, and how many of theose characters are on inactive accounts.

For those of you that don't know or don't remember I was in alpha-2, Beta 1, Beta 2, and beta 3. I pretty much lost interest by the early part of beta 2. I had the client on my machine from august till december of 2006. I played hard and tried to like the game because I am a Tolkien nut, but really lost the urge to log in and grind at the end of September.

I also followed this game and participated in the official and fan forums for about 24 months before beta, and got to know quite a few active folks, the people who had been waiting 3, 4, 5 or more years for this game.

Funny thing is, I don't see many of them at there official forums anymore. I see a bunch of names that are not familiar, and a fraction of the Guilds that were around for YEARS, waiting for this game to start.

In other words, I would say over 50% of the old guard community is no longer active.

Just an interesting observation...........................

IMHO, I still say Turbine screwed up when they went from a skills based game to another level grind.

Can you just imagine a true "sandbox" type game set in Middle Earth? if it was halfway decent, I would probably play this game for years............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:25 pm 
Spammer

Aranarth wrote:
IMHO, I still say Turbine screwed up when they went from a skills based game to another level grind.

Can you just imagine a true "sandbox" type game set in Middle Earth? if it was halfway decent, I would probably play this game for years............

you mean they pulled a SOE/SWG on the game concepts?

Those who don't learn from History are doomed to repeat it...and yes, you can learn from other people's history :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:38 pm 

Arindel wrote:
Aranarth wrote:

you mean they pulled a SOE/SWG on the game concepts?

Those who don't learn from History are doomed to repeat it...and yes, you can learn from other people's history :twisted:

Not exactly

It was done way before beta. In case you don't know this game was in concept design for ages, like 5 or 6 years afaik.

Early in the development a skills based game was discussed, it was thrown out because (according to the Dev's) it was "fun enough".

IMHO it ws thrown out because it wasn't "WoW enough", because Turbine needed a big winner to survive.

-AC2 was tanking and was shut down.

-DDO wasn't out yet and I think most folks believed that would be more of a niche game.

-AC was still going but wasn't the moneymaker it once was.

-They had to take a multimillion dollar investment capitol deal to finish the game.

It was a level grind game from alpha-2......................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:03 pm 

Do yourselves a favor if you play, get a character up to level 10 so you can participate in monster play pvp. It's probably the best feature of the game, IMO. I had a blast playing in there, and spent most of my time doing so. I'm the last person to be preaching the gospel of any pvp, but I loved it during my time there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:59 am 

I am considering trying the 7 day trial just to see how well it got polished after Beta-3, which I might add to Turbines credit, the game was very stable at the beta-3 point.

Getting to level 10 is pretty easy, and yep monster play sounds interesting, that wasn't in at Beta-3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:35 pm 

Aranarth wrote:
I am considering trying the 7 day trial just to see how well it got polished after Beta-3, which I might add to Turbines credit, the game was very stable at the beta-3 point.

Getting to level 10 is pretty easy, and yep monster play sounds interesting, that wasn't in at Beta-3.

If they'd send a "come back for 7 days, we miss you" I'd join you. My MPvP worg is pretty decked out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:52 am 

Tetran wrote:
Aranarth wrote:

If they'd send a "come back for 7 days, we miss you" I'd join you. My MPvP worg is pretty decked out :)

So you bought the game and played it?

Why aren't you playing any longer? Just curious :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:50 am 

Aranarth wrote:
Tetran wrote:
Aranarth wrote:

The normal game got stale... fast. It's a beautiful game, great music, it just lacked anything new to keep my attention. I've played that "game" a million times before. I really wanted to like it but it is what it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:07 pm 

Tetran wrote:
Aranarth wrote:
Tetran wrote:
Aranarth wrote:

The normal game got stale... fast. It's a beautiful game, great music, it just lacked anything new to keep my attention. I've played that "game" a million times before. I really wanted to like it but it is what it is.

Ya thats pretty much me as well on LOTRO. I really wanted to like it but I just can't play "level up, go to next area, level up, then raid" games any longer.

Especially ones that have crafting systems only an 8 year old could love.

:sigh:

So MUCH could have been done with this subject matter................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:07 pm 
Spammer

Aranarth wrote:
Especially ones that have crafting systems only an 8 year old could love.

The little I saw of the crafting led me to beleive it was very similar to WoW's with a couple of tweaks....no?

Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:50 pm 

It's very similar. I took a cursory glance over it and never bothered more. I'm a die hard crafter too. My level of interest in a game is directly linked to how much of an impact can I make on the game world, be it Simcity or SWG's much missed crafting system. Sure, anyone can add Wooden Component A with rare loot item B and Non-solid C, but how do you make your mark with that? Where's the sense of gratification in producing something a chicken with enough seed on a keyboard would eventually compose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:38 pm 
Spammer

Location: Cork, Raining-all-the-time-island. (not this one, the other one)
I tried it with a trial from a friend who bought the game at release in europe.
I lveled to twenty without dying, and looked back.
The only moment of fun I had was trying to play "Smoke on the water" with a luth. No good.
It's beautiful-looking alright, but the gameplay is abysmally slow, the end game is inexistant, and you have nothing to do besides leveling your characters.
Crafting is wow-like, ie, nice to get items but no real commerce exists, there is a blasted AH system, nothing to see there.

Went back to WoW, will try W.A.R but it doesn't look very promising from what I've seen in beta. :/

Post subject: Re: LOTRO 7-Day Trial
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:26 pm 

Believe it or not I won a free copy of the game and expansion.

I am actually enjoying it. Maybe I just needed a break, and to play a low drama game for a while after almost 3 years of EVE.\

Im on Gladden server with "The Old Timers Guild". A great bunch of folks, who are also very big into crafting.

The end game has improved with Moria.

The crafting is pretty much the same very WoW like with a few tweaks to make it a bit more interesting, but nothing like SWG. thats for sure.

Its a nice, easy mild diversion. Ill see how long it lasts ;) :yoda:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:56 pm 
Spammer

I'm on Vilya server as of about a month ago I started up, have a quite little house next to a waterfall and enjoying it so far. Got in the 9.99 per month deal at the end of their recent anniversary so we shall see how long I keep playing.

FYI, for anyone needing a game to tide them over, the game with expansion is like $9.99, monthly fee is 14.99 the same as every other MMORPG unless you have a special deal...

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:33 am 

Too bad we didn't get on the same server.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:59 pm 
Spammer

yea I just grabbed whichever server they were suggesting folks to join. I have 3 chars 2 lvl 20's and a lvl 16 or I would switch but b/c up to lvl 16 is pretty good speed if you know what you are doing but 16-20 is much slower and I maybe get an hour a night to play.

I like it though...the crafting is no SWG but the gameplay is much better. Though I hate that everytime I level'd for like the first 15 lvls I would be wiped out of cash by the cost of skills...

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"