Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Djibouti Africa
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Last week I was told I was on the short list for a project in Djibouti Africa. The Djibouti portion of the project will last at least one year. I would have to stay three months at a time. I find the international aspect of the assignment very intriguing and I may accept the assignment.

Google Map of location

It looks like a dangerous part of the world. Do you globe trotting types have packing/surviving advise?

Post subject: Re: Djibouti Africa
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:01 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
It looks like a dangerous part of the world. Do you globe trotting types have packing/surviving advise?

stay low and run in a zig-zag pattern.

Never wear any uniform that would make you look like an officer.

I hope you are getting hazzard pay added to your regularcheck for this (as well as compensation for being away from the family for so long). Invest that money well and let it grow.

Post subject: Re: Djibouti Africa
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:25 am 
Spammer

Arindel wrote:

Invest that money well and let it grow.

FYI gold and silver have both tripled in price since 2000-2001 can you say the same for your stocks?

Congrats on that Cy and be careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:31 pm 

When you get there ya gotta shake jabooty mon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:44 am 
Spammer

Congrats on the job Cyrus, be sure to stay in touch :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Well Somalia is pretty dicey, and the northern part of it contains a couple of breakaway sections where there has been fighting recently. Eritrea on the other side has been trying to provoke Ethiopia for a long time, so there is occasional fighting there. However, I don't think that inside Djibouti itself there is any high-level conflict to worry about. Keep safe if you do end up over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:44 pm 
Spammer

I've never been to Africa, but living overseas for any period of time will change you as a person, and only for the better. The experience will be fantastic for you, especially at first.

After a period of time, the honeymoon will wear off and you'll crash like a rock. You'll wonder why in the world you ever went to this maggot infested hellhole and wonder how anyone else could possibly survive there. About the time your year and a half mark comes up, you'll wake up one day and realize that you love the place. It's bizarre, but it's almost ALWAYS the cycle that happens, no matter how extreme the change in scenery from where you come from. Hang in there when the going gets rough, it DOES get better.

Of course, coming from Louisiana, it won't be much of a change, going to a third world country! :P

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

It is official, I am set to deploy Nov 29th. I am trying to push it back a week, but that may not be possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:40 pm 
Spammer

Holy crap that was fast!!! I've been planning my move overseas for about a year, and it will STILL be at least another 9 months til I'm ready! Sheesh!! I'm jealous.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

lol, Jealous??? I would not go that far. I am still trying to figure out if I get to live in a tent or a or modified cargo container.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:24 pm 

Sounds like quite an adventure.... just make sure to say that your tent needs to have a high speed cable line or you won't go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:04 pm 
Spammer

Good luck, and stay safe!

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:27 am 
Spammer

Cyrus buddy, I like your spirit!

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:49 am 
Site Admin

My deployment date has moved from Nov 29th to Dec 6th and now probably to Dec 11th. Getting medical clearance is latest thing pushing the date back. Next week I visit my doctor again, if the new prescription works as intended I should be cleared for travel. They gave me 7 shots just before thanksgiving, and I just started taking a malaria pill. I'm having a very hard time falling asleep; I think that pill may be the cause.

I went to a local outdoors store and bought a lot of clothes supposedly good for the desert. The stuff feels great, but Danyale fusses when I wear it at home because she says it looks funny... Like I am going on a safari.

This weekend I plan on buying some entertainment. I need to get an ipod, maybe a consol system or games that will work on my company laptop. I really don’t know what to buy as far as electronic entertainment goes. I would like to try Eve or WoW from Djibouti but I don’t know what bandwidth restrictions will be on me while in country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:11 pm 

I don't know anything bout Djibouti (sorry, I am really immature) but just wanted to wish you luck Cryus, sounds like a great opportunity. Good luck and take care of yourself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:59 pm 

Enjoy your time there and stay well. Oh and don't name your teddy bear Mohammed as it's not a good idea, I'm told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hey guys, I’m alive and well in Djibouti. About to log my second week in country.

It doesn't feel like Christmas with the 90 degree highs, but people are trying their best to inject the Christmas spirit.

Work keeps me very busy, so I’m lurking. Keep up the posts, I’m reading even if I’m not posting.

Also, special thanks to Obo for helping me maintain communications with my family back home. I owe you big time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:47 pm 

Merry Christmas! Yeah, I think the same thing about 'weirdness' for Christmas time, being in Florida. I'm assuming it's worse there.

Now get out of Mibouti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:11 pm 
Spammer

Merry Christmas Cy. Stay safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:39 am 
Site Admin

I put together a few slide shows of my experience so far. You can download them at the following link: http://www.brianthibodeaux.net/ftp/Djibouti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:46 pm 
Spammer

golf course made me laugh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:00 pm 

the 005 powerpoint presentation seems to be missing... what aren't you showing us? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:21 am 
Site Admin

It is either one of three things... you guess:

1) What happens in Djibouti stays in Djibouti
2) Top secret. If I showed you, I would have to kill you
3) Leet Louisiana education in action

I am trying to figure out how to make a video as I drive down the streets.

First because there seems to be no rules to driving. They don’t drive in the lanes, they usually straddle the lanes, pass on both the right and left, and they frequently drive in the oncoming traffic lane. Not to mention they drive super fast and 98% of the population is high on Khat by 3pm. I would love to document the crazy driving situation, but still shots don’t seem to capture it well.

Second many locals don’t want their picture taken; the uneducated think it steals their sole, the educated want money for their pic… So when most see the camera they start yelling at you. If I could mount my webcam and record, I could get a lot more scenery and the camera is small enough that most people would not notice it.

Third, the other day I went to the market area. It was freaking scary. Hundreds of people small narrow winding roads, I had flashbacks or Indiana Jones running and fighting in the market transposed with Mobs rushing the vehicle like in Black Hawk Down. The scene would have been amazing to show you guys, but if I wiped out a camera I probably would not have survived.

A vehicle mounted webcam would probably work in the above situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:59 am 

if you want to scare them, tell them about satelites that can take thier picture every time they go outside

lots of people chrashing into eachother without traffic rules?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:26 am 
Site Admin

Surprisingly I haven’t seen many wrecks. But then again most vehicles I see are banged up. Maybe they crash and go about their business. For safety reasons I limit my exposure to the outside so I only see a fraction of Djibouti real life. We hired a new guy who has lived here for many years; I will try to remember to ask him about accidents.

The other day we got a new truck. It is a huge black GMC. When we drive it in town, some locals throw their hands in the air and cheer as we drive by. It is the funniest thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:25 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
Surprisingly I haven’t seen many wrecks. But then again most vehicles I see are banged up. Maybe they crash and go about their business. For safety reasons I limit my exposure to the outside so I only see a fraction of Djibouti real life. We hired a new guy who has lived here for many years; I will try to remember to ask him about accidents.

The other day we got a new truck. It is a huge black GMC. When we drive it in town, some locals throw their hands in the air and cheer as we drive by. It is the funniest thing.

They must have heard about your success in WoW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:19 pm 
Spammer

Talon1977 wrote:
Cyrus Rex wrote:

They must have heard about your success in WoW.

LMFAO :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Here are a few new movies from Djibouti:
Works best if you right click and choose "Save Target As"

Last edited by Cyrus Rex on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:54 am 
Spammer

Great vids Cyrus! But only the first two worked for me. Good to hear from you though!

Are people there talking much about the violence in Chad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:01 pm 
Spammer

Talon1977 wrote:
Great vids Cyrus! But only the first two worked for me. Good to hear from you though!

Same here. Nice view until you hit the potholes!

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I think I fixed all the videos.... I had the url incorrect.

Quote:
Are people there talking much about the violence in Chad?

Most locals don’t talk much about the outside world.... but the business men, French military, and US military have been a-buzz with events in Chad, Kenya, and the latest rumor that Al Qaeda in Iraq is relocating to north and east Africa. The Al Qaeda stuff was a very serious matter, we had to issue local cell phones to everyone on our team, and we had to fill out some kidnap paperwork with the military.

The French fighter jets have been taking off much more frequently. For the first time I noticed a US surveillance aircraft taking off. The French pilots told me that the fighters I see taking off are not for training, each one is taking off for a reason… and there are a lot taking off lately. A New Zealander on our team worked in Afghanistan for a few years, he said he did not see that many aircraft taking off over there… and they were bombing stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Djibouti Heat Claims First Casualty.

Two days ago a US Marine died due to the heat. They say several Marines were doing physical training, afterwards most of them went to eat, one guy stayed behind saying he did not feel good. Later they found him dead in his room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:42 am 
Site Admin

Yikes. How hot is it over there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:56 am 

Romsuiag wrote:

Must be around 40 celeius in the shadow...
So out in the sun it might exceed 55 celsius or even more than that.

It's unfourtunate for the marine as well as the family and comrades...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:23 pm 
Spammer

Azzameen85 wrote:
Romsuiag wrote:

Speak English son. That doesn't mean a thing to me. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:26 pm 
Spammer

Talon1977 wrote:
Azzameen85 wrote:
Romsuiag wrote:

(40 * 9 / 5) + 32 = (360 / 5 ) + 32 = 72 + 32 = 104

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:04 am 
Site Admin

The base weather station has shown the highs to be in the mid to high 90s. That does not sound so hot to me; summer back home would get over 100. I think it feels hotter because of the sun intensity. Did any of you see the movie "Pitch Black" Every time I walk out of a building I think of that movie because everything looks white and washed out.

I was amazed the other day as I walked to lunch; I could feel the heat emanating from the ground several degrees warmer than the air around my head. It was like walking across dark pavement in the summer where you can feel the heat rising off the surface... But here there was no dark pavement, it was loose dirt.

Just yesterday we had an Egyptian worker sent to the Base clinic for dehydration.

A few weeks ago I found myself with headaches and an unwillingness to drink. When I though about it I realized how little water I had consumed over the past few days. I mixed some flavoring into my water and tried to drink a bottle ever couple of hours. I wonder if a symptom of dehydration is lack of desire to drink. I feel much better now. But I have to force myself to drink way more than what feels natural to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:00 am 
Spammer

That reminds me of "Aliens":

"But it's a dry heat"

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:36 pm 

Arindel wrote:
Talon1977 wrote:
Azzameen85 wrote:
Romsuiag wrote:

(40 * 9 / 5) + 32 = (360 / 5 ) + 32 = 72 + 32 = 104

Thanks for the math.

As I mentioned 40 C (104 F) in the shadows and 55 C (131 F) or more in the sun. That is a lot.
Also consider they were doing physical training.

And BTW Talon... how old are you again? :?: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Cyrus Rex wrote:
I wonder if a symptom of dehydration is lack of desire to drink.
I think it can give you a general loss of appetite and, occasionally, nausea.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)