Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Call of Duty 4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:49 am 
Spammer

When I saw Call of Duty was coming back to the PC and in a contemporary setting, I knew I was getting it despite TF2. It was very worth it. If you've played any of the Call of Duty games in the past, you're familiar with the way they suck you into the story with scripted events and cutscenes. They really did it...and did it well this time. Go buy it.

Graphics
Compared to the graphics hardware I had gotten used to, my new gear makes everything so darn purdy I may not be the best critic of the game's graphics. With that in mind, I say to you prepare to be amazed. From very high-rez textures and texture effects to impressive dynamic lighting all in a silky smooth presentation, this game is beautiful no matter how you look at it. I played the Crysis demo and that game has nothing on CoD4.

During a helicopter insertion on a ship, I happened to glance over at my commanding officer and as he's dragging on his cigar not only does his face and the surrounding immediate area light up in a very realistic glow from the cigar, the reflection of the tip of the cigar can be seen on his eyeballs. They make excellent use of blurring, which dramatically adds to the realism of action. As I look down the sights of my weapon, the periphery blurs a bit but not to the point that I lose peripheral vision.

Gameplay
Fast, furious and realistic (well...for a game anyway ;)) The weapons feel right (based on the little experience I have with an M16 and MP5 - can't say I've ever fired an AK47 :P), considering rate of fire, accuracy and stopping power. They mess with those attributes a bit in multiplayer as you can gain perks, etc but more on that shortly.

You have access to some weapons I've never seen in a game before, the Javelin missle system, for one. Then there's a number of smaller weapons that I can't say I really remember seeing much of in games, such as a Scorpion, mini-Uzi and AK74 (not a typo). Lastly on weapons and while I don't want to give too much away, I'll just say that you are also put in a position to create a highlights video like you might see on YouTube...

The scripted events are very well done, very smooth and blend into the gameplay. Some will even happen even if you're not looking directly at them or even if you're not in their vicinity.

I can't say the story that's told is groundbreaking but it's made very personal and I came to really care about the outcome and my teammates.

Multiplayer:
With TF2 as fun as it is, I wasn't even sure I wanted to give CoD4MP a shot right now. But, impatient human that I am, I did. You can read up on all the little features they've coded into MP but I can tell you this much: CoD4MP is every bit as much fun as TF2 but in a completely different way. Spotting an enemy among a pile of rubble and dropping out of sight before he double-taps you is definitely hair-raising and an adrenaline rush, not to mention very rewarding. Then tossing a flash-bang just before gutting him with your K-Bar...well...that's more fun than I think I should probably admit to. :twisted:

So, there you have my lame little review of Call of Duty 4. I was a huge fan of the previous PC-based games in the series but I don't think that tilted my impression of this game too much. In short, it was fun. A lot of fun in fact, and I'm pretty sure this will be one of the core games at my future LAN parties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:20 am 

Sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:47 am 

Angelus was gushing over COD4 for the 360 earlier this week. I'm worried that my rig won't run it as well as the 360 would, so I'm leaning towards that version instead. Yeah, I am a total graphics whore. It's embarassing, but I've learned to live with it, just ask Cordalis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:32 pm 
Spammer

Other than our TF2 night on Monday, I have been playing CoD4 on the 360 every night (I have it rented but had to return it this monring :( ).

As Rocky says, the MP is absolutely unreal. That is what I played first when I got it as I heard cool things about the class and perk system. I LOVE it!!! My kill-death ratio sucks atm at 0.93 but it has been going up now that I have the "red dot scope" unlocked for the M16, MP5, and Uzi. It makes a world of difference when trying to line someone up through the sights.

Here's the custom classes I have set up atm:

"Long range assault" - M16, w/ red dot, silenced pistol, 3x stun grenades, increased bullet dmg, and bullet penetration. (This is my main go to class as I love the M16)

"Close Run" - MP5 or Uzi w/ red dot, same perks as above. Similar style to the above but with more mobility. I use it for tight quarters maps.

"Total Stealth" - M16 w/ silender, silence pistol, claymores (trip bombs), UAV blocking (can't see me on radar), bullet penetration. (Used for when I want to go total stealth. Silencers + anti-UAV make me totally undetectable on radar, which is nice when running up to people to knife em :D )

All in all, this has been my game of the year thus far. TF2 MP is fun, but CoD4 is funner than hell.

I would grab it on the cpu but dunno if my current comp could run it decently. It chugged on the demo a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:05 pm 
Spammer

Clarification from the consolers please: when I'm playing multiplayer, am I playing only against other computer players or would there be 360 users in there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:56 pm 
Spammer

Would just be PCers. Don't think the did the Shadowrun thing to blend to systems together.

Too bad for you since you couldn't rack up the kills against us inferior control peeps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:55 pm 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
Too bad for you since you couldn't rack up the kills against us inferior control peeps :)

LOL - actually I would be more concerned playing against consolers with assisted targeting! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:05 pm 
Spammer

Assisted targeting my ass. It all skill baby!! :P

Btw Rocky, I am curious what kind of class/perk mix you run with. I am still trying to build a solid 5 classes that I can quickly swap to depending on how the game is shaping up.

I am thinking having my Go To (see my M16 one above), Total Stealth (see above), Close Quarters (see above w/ MP5 or Uzi), then maybe a couple different Sniper or Long Range M16 classes mixing the perks up.

I find sniper can be very difficult. Also tried a shotgun close quarters set up but really sucked with it since the recoil delay is huge with the shotty. Played around with a LMG (think it was the SAW) and did ok. Just kinda hid and waited for peeps to run by me and opened up shooting fromt the hip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:00 pm 
Spammer

You've gotta get the right shotgun! ;) I was using one the other day that would burn through the 7-9 shells it would hold just as fast as I could pull the trigger. Although...as I typed that, it dawned on me that could very likely have been during the single-player.

Like you, I've found the shotgun to be slow between rounds. It is, however, deadly. I just happened to round a corner with 2 seconds left in the round (which we were losing BTW) and there was their best scorer, mucking with a claymore or something. I put a full load of combat buckshot right in the small of his back and reveled in the fact that he had to view his team victory screen with the image of me lining up on him in the background. It's the little things in life... :twisted:

As for loads, I've limited myself to the stock loads (plus I only recently earned the right to build my own loads), and more precisely, to the assault build and, just near the end of my gaming time, the demo build.

I want more experience with the weapons, not to mention the weapon enhancements, before I start with builds.

Maybe work will be slow this afternoon... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Rocky, I'll put it on my Xmas list then quickly find you at the business end of my sight.

Sound like a plan? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:41 pm 
Spammer

Sounds like a two item wish list.

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:46 am 

Madson wrote:
Angelus was gushing over COD4 for the 360 earlier this week. I'm worried that my rig won't run it as well as the 360 would, so I'm leaning towards that version instead. Yeah, I am a total graphics whore. It's embarassing, but I've learned to live with it, just ask Cordalis.

I watched a special on COD4 on G4... they took the models and reduced the polycount by 2000 for each model. Then they created a special bumpskin so when the light hit the model it would diffuse. The effect is startling as it looks like the shadows and such move as the models move.

The added benefit is that a powerful video card isn't needed since its not pushing all of those triangles around.

For the backgrounds, they created a distance diffuser. The farther away something is the less polycount and then they blur it to make it more realistic.

As the developer said, while other companies are pushing the polycounts up, they are reducing the polycounts so a person doesn't have to upgrade their computer each time a new game comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:47 am 

Rocklar wrote:
Clarification from the consolers please: when I'm playing multiplayer, am I playing only against other computer players or would there be 360 users in there?

If you have Vista you can play with console-players. They did the same thing with Gears of War.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:39 pm 
Spammer

Alokorben wrote:
Rocklar wrote:

If you have Vista you can play with console-players. They did the same thing with Gears of War.

Really? I swear I heard it was only Shadowrun that had implemented this feature thus far. Maybe that's why some guys appears to be so good on Xbox Live, they have mouse and keyboard!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:42 pm 
Spammer

And an update to my MP stats/builds.

Have now raised my kills/deaths to right around the 1.00 mark, up from a dismal 0.82. Most of that is due to me playing nearly exclusively between 2 perk builds.

1. With a red dot scoped M16, claymores, stopping power, and penetration
2. Silenced M16 with claymores, anti-UAV, penetration.

Dunno what it is but I just love the noob M16. The 3 shot burst just works well for me. Just unlocked a new assault rifle (the 4th one down the list) so might give it a try cause I think its a bit more powerful. Though I find that in order to go on long kill streaks, one needs to conserve ammo, which the M16 does in spades with its bursts. 2 bursts with stopping power burns through anyone, even if they have juggernaut perk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:19 pm 
Spammer

Who all is still playing this, besides me and Angelus?? We're having a blast still. I am now only 4000 XP from Prestige Mode. I'm trying to decide if I should just hang out at Commander level for a while or go ahead and do the reset for Prestige. Any input from anybody concerning this?

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:53 pm 
Spammer

Well, I know once I hit 55 I will likely stay there for a long time, mostly because I don't get to play as much as I would like and leveling back to get the weapons I like would be agonizing.

I have been playing around with different assualt rifles lately unlocking the red dot and silencers. I am now thinking of trying a M-16 with the ACOG scope as my long range sniper-ish build, and go M4 or AK47 with silencer for my stealth build. I am holding off on sniper challenges until the patch when the aiming is suppose to be better. I have also been playing HQ mode lately and am having a blast. Tried a search & destory (on Wetwork map) but didn't fare too well.

BTW Talon, look for me online tonight. I have a craving to shoot people :shock: Let's group up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:11 pm 
Spammer

Well, I know once I hit 55 I will likely stay there for a long time, mostly because I don't get to play as much as I would like and leveling back to get the weapons I like would be agonizing.

I have been playing around with different assualt rifles lately unlocking the red dot and silencers. I am now thinking of trying a M-16 with the ACOG scope as my long range sniper-ish build, and go M4 or AK47 with silencer for my stealth build. I am holding off on sniper challenges until the patch when the aiming is suppose to be better. I have also been playing HQ mode lately and am having a blast. Tried a search & destory (on Wetwork map) but didn't fare too well.

BTW Talon, look for me online tonight. I have a craving to shoot people :shock: Let's group up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:33 am 
Spammer

I played the demo and was very impressed...next game on my list for sure..maybe if im good for valentines day

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:59 am 
Spammer

Dragon - are you talking PC or 360? Those of us that I know are playing on on the 360 version.

PS - Talon, I had a blast last night. Especially that one match on Ambush where we both got those killer streaks going early. If you want a long range, quasi-sniper class, definitely go M-16 with ACOG. I know you hate that sight but once I got use to it, I was a machine. A couple 3 shot bursts and peeps dropped like flies.

Oh, and that G36 was awsome as well towards the end. Got the red dot so should be even better now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:26 pm 

Well I got the PC version of CoD4 collecting dust right now.
Although I will come around to play it.
The reson is I had just gotten hand on Halo (1) and I had to play it, I'm a sucker for good stories. (Imagening Madsons triumfant evil laghter "We got one more!")

Anyway I'm currently waiting for "Supreme Commander Gold Edition" and with TOB done plus NFS Pro-street degraded to a "one raceday per RL day" to keep it alive I need something to keep me up...

Just annoyed that I can't play multiplayer. Got atleast one second ping to the rest of the world, through the net...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:58 pm 

Damn, you guys really think I'm a Microsoft fanboy.

/cry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:52 pm 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
Dragon - are you talking PC or 360? Those of us that I know are playing on on the 360 version.

Rocklar plays on PC as well...but yea PC I don't own a 360 and never really intend to...I enjoy my FPS's with my mouse. I do PC and Wii

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:33 pm 

Dragon Fire wrote:
Angelus wrote:

Rocklar plays on PC as well...but yea PC I don't own a 360 and never really intend to...I enjoy my FPS's with my mouse. I do PC and Wii

[threadjack]
What games do you enjoy with your wii? I just havn't been impressed with anything except Zelda. Mario seems good, but I'm co-op'ing with my wife so I'm not as invested in the progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:53 pm 
Spammer

A bud at work has the Metroid game on Wii and was raving about it when he first got it. Likely finished it and hasn't been playing it lately. It was fun for the short amount of time I played it at his place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:51 pm 
Spammer

I had a Wii. I traded it for the 360. Just wasn't getting the use out of the Wii. The games kinda suck.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:43 am 

Madson wrote:
Damn, you guys really think I'm a Microsoft fanboy.

/cry

Just razzin ya a bit. Besides I was positively surprised about Halo.

And CoD4. God as my witness I hate that game. Which is why I have to play it through.
Seven pens broken by sheer anger cause I'm stuck at a bottleneck.
Just entered the capital as the US marine, and I just got up to first floor of a building. When I go down to the bowl a female Cobra pilot asks if I missed her.
Now that part I have played through some 40 time last evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:56 pm 
Spammer

Got the gold plated shotgun the other night. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

This post compelled me to go out and buy this game for the PS3.

I am very glad I did, I don’t usually like FPS, but I am very pleased with this game so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:16 pm 
Spammer

Squad on me !
Soap, take the bridge !

On my mark....GO GO GO !

The first mission is just...I dont have a word for it !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:59 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
This post compelled me to go out and buy this game for the PS3.

I am very glad I did, I don’t usually like FPS, but I am very pleased with this game so far.

PS3! How am I supposed to play with you when you got a PS3??!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:00 pm 
Spammer

Flyoc wrote:
Squad on me !
Soap, take the bridge !

On my mark....GO GO GO !

Oh, and this games has missions? Pfft. Get online. That's where it's at. What system did you get it for Fly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:24 pm 
Spammer

Closing in on Colonel online.

/salute

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:57 am 
Site Admin

That is my ISP; it is good at times and bad other times.

Tell me about multiplayer, I hear it has persistent stats and you unlock things as you progress. Is that true for all multiplayer, or just the online action. I ask because I may have an easier time over the LAN, but I can try online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:20 am 
Site Admin

That will NOT be good for internet play. Massive ping due to the distance (signal out to GEO and back).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:25 pm 
Spammer

Talon1977 wrote:
Flyoc wrote:
Squad on me !
Soap, take the bridge !

On my mark....GO GO GO !

Oh, and this games has missions? Pfft. Get online. That's where it's at. What system did you get it for Fly?

PC of course. I'm not a huge fan of the multiplayer parth though, I'd rather play some ETQW when playing online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:00 pm 
Spammer

How far is everybody in the multiplayer. I'm on my 2nd Prestige mode, somewhere around lvl 15 or so. I'm working my way back to getting my Gold-plated Shotgun again (for the 3rd time). 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:13 pm 

On my 7th Prestige here on the 360.

Ang: As for what to run with, my specs change for what I am playing:

Regular Deathmacth... I always run with Stopping Power on my guns, for faster kills and to foil Juggernaut.

HardCore: Usually UAV Jammer

Search and Destroy: Offense = Bomb Squad, Defense = Claymore (I change classes during half time)

When I play with my "clan" we always take a few minutes when chagning from game types so everyone can update their classes, honestly 5 just isn't enough. Some maps I even use a specfic build.

M16, P90, MP5, G36c, M60... my favorite guns (I suck at snipping)

Rift/Gnarlwood: Nostro - Mage (Pyro/Necro/Chrolo - mancer) lvl 29
Rift/Gnarlwood: Stilgar - Cleric lvl 8

WoW days - Aegnor/Stilgar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:38 pm 
Spammer

I think I am still only around lvl 40, not even 1 prestige. I haven't played enough lately.

But.... by the sounds of it Stilgar, your crew would be the perfect group to hook up with and game with. Its always funner playing these games as a big coordinated group.

What days/nights do you usually play? Think you could swing me in if the timing works ok?

Talon and I have played together and had a blast. Would be cool to play with more peeps in the group and actually avoid having to mute everyone in the group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:10 pm 

Defiently more fun to play with peeps you know, our group is pretty mature (though we do have a couple of crazy guys, but they sure do make me laugh).

I have acutally played some with Vlad from my WoW days (Famke's hubby), and he joined our clan.

I play pretty much every night, SinisterRevenge is my XBox tag, send my a friend request, after that we can hook up whenever we are on!

I will definelty be playing some tonight, took the weekend off to go to the beach, now I need my fix!!!

I cannot be held responsible for any comments made by one "CleanMoostang"... however, I may shoot beer out my nose when he gets on a roll of his off the wall comments.

Rift/Gnarlwood: Nostro - Mage (Pyro/Necro/Chrolo - mancer) lvl 29
Rift/Gnarlwood: Stilgar - Cleric lvl 8

WoW days - Aegnor/Stilgar