Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mech-games
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 pm 

Anyone knows about any worthwhile Mech-games (y'know big robot thingies) for the PC.

Haven't played any since Shogo: Mobile Armour Division.

Don't get me wrong, but the MechWarrior line wasn't something that suited me at the time so I'm searching for something more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:25 pm 

Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions. has some interesting mechwarrior type gameplay. System requirements on it are insane however.

The game itself seemed to have a deep interesting story, however the gameplay didn't hold my interest past the 3rd mission. but i'm fickle like that.

http://www.lostplanet-thegame.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:47 am 

i have a really old game called heavy gear(i think it was heavy gear 2, not sure), your a guy, in a big mech-thing, and you shoot stuff. you can also costumize your mech to fit your needs(like i made something moving at 300mph and one shot one kill)

graphics suck, but gameplay is ok compared to a few other games(takes a while to learn what controls do what)

its probably not even for sale anymore, but if you find it somewhere, its probably worth it

(and the lost planet thing looks nice, judging from that link)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:37 am 

What are the specs?
Does it run on XP?

Sorry but the comps, here on school are rather limited so there are alot of sites I can't visit. That's because the firewall is paranoid. Also alot of gamesites are banned for us.

All I could see is wikipedia that talks about the game being one of the first games capeable of DX10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:16 pm 

Quote:
Minimum: Windows® XP, Intel® Pentium® 4 supporting HT technology or AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ or greater, 512 MB RAM (Windows XP) / 1 GB RAM (Windows Vista), 8.0 GB free disk space, 640x480 minimum resolution, 256 MB VRAM, DirectX®9.0c / Shader3.0*, NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 or greater**, DirectSound compatible. DirectX®9.0c, Mouse, Keyboard, Broadband connection (Internet connection required to play.)

Recommended: Windows Vista™, Intel® Core™2 Duo, 1 GB RAM (Windows XP) / 2 GB RAM (Windows Vista), 1280x720 or higher resolution, 256 MB VRAM, NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600 or greater, Gamepad, Xbox 360™ Controller for Windows®

* Operation not assured if VRAM is shared with Main Memory.
** NVIDIA® GeForce® 7300 is not supported.

Looks like the minimum requirements are pretty standard, just don't be thinking you'll crank the settings. This game brought my dual vid card system to its friggen knees when i tried cranking stuff up. was so disapointed with my hardware.

~Rav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:21 pm 

Ravage wrote:
Quote:
Minimum: Windows® XP, Intel® Pentium® 4 supporting HT technology or AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ or greater, 512 MB RAM (Windows XP) / 1 GB RAM (Windows Vista), 8.0 GB free disk space, 640x480 minimum resolution, 256 MB VRAM, DirectX®9.0c / Shader3.0*, NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 or greater**, DirectSound compatible. DirectX®9.0c, Mouse, Keyboard, Broadband connection (Internet connection required to play.)

Recommended: Windows Vista™, Intel® Core™2 Duo, 1 GB RAM (Windows XP) / 2 GB RAM (Windows Vista), 1280x720 or higher resolution, 256 MB VRAM, NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600 or greater, Gamepad, Xbox 360™ Controller for Windows®

* Operation not assured if VRAM is shared with Main Memory.
** NVIDIA® GeForce® 7300 is not supported.

Looks like the minimum requirements are pretty standard, just don't be thinking you'll crank the settings. This game brought my dual vid card system to its friggen knees when i tried cranking stuff up. was so disapointed with my hardware.

~Rav

Well except the graphiccard I'm good for the Recommended settings. That is again I'm prob capeable of playing it, since my graphcard is a Radeon X1950 Pro.
But... the internet connection!? That sucks. Forgive my language but I just ask... why?
I don't have regular internet so this is really somehting that nags me more and more.
When I got TOB for Christmas I was happy to know that steam could be set offline after the first start of the game. That meant I could bring my comp to a friend, update the games, start them once and that's it. But this... required internet to play....

BTW what system do you run?

Mine is:

P4 HT 3.2 GHz
1024 MB DDR2
Enough harddrive...
DVD W/Re-W
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro
DX 9.0c soundcard (on motherboard)
No gamepad (dislikes them, never been used to them in FPS, Sim or RTS. Only platform and those I don't got.)
G5 mouse
Access Keyboard (yeah, 8 years old!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:09 pm 

Don't think it has to have an internet connection. if nothing else, you can get a no-cd crack for the game, and it should function fine.

Don't know the exact stats on my computer off hand....but something like PC2D, low speed at 2.13Ghtz, 2 gigs of ram, 2x GF8600GTs, 4x250gig hard drives, 2 of them raided for speed. Vista ultimate 64 bit OS.... i dunno what else.

nothing remarkable, but its got the power to play most games really well.