Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: University of Phoenix
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:19 pm 
Spammer

Anybody have any experience or knowledge with Univ. of Phoenix? I start classes on Monday. I don't know anything about them except for what they've told me.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:59 pm 

Let me know how it goes Talon, I have thought about trying them out myself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

As someone who is going back to school myself there are two things I looked into. 1. do the credits I gain at xx school transfer into my local college/university? This is a good gage on accreditation. 2. is the school accredited with theboard of ed? There are many 'crackpot' accreditation's out there.

I think UofP is right in the middle. If you want to transfer these credits a quick call to a state college/university may be wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:39 pm 
Spammer

I completely agree with Moge and would also strongly recommend further investigation into online offerings from in-state brick-and-mortar schools. I researched many schools before getting started and ultimately decided on a state school with an unquestionably positive and strong regional reputation. Frankly, the offerings they had surprised me (in a good way!).

Also, by attending an in-state school, my degree will cost approximately one-quarter what it would have by going with an online-only institution. That means that my employer's education allotment will completely cover the cost of my degree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:51 pm 

I know nothing about it, but the real question is... what are you studying?

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:56 am 
Spammer

BA in Communications.

From everything I've been told by numerous sources, Univ. of Phoenix is completely legit and accredited. I've asked several folks who I trust, and are in a position to know, say that when Univ. of Phoenix first started doing what they do now, there were lots of skeptics, but now they're sold on this being the wave of the future of education.

The classes I'm taking are going to be challenging it looks like. I'm looking forward to it actually.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:26 pm 
Spammer

Just don't let it cut into your CoD4 time! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:38 pm 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
Just don't let it cut into your CoD4 time! :lol:

You need a chance to catch up with me anyway. :wink:

Despite the server problems, we had a fun time last night waxin' the badguys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:48 pm 
Spammer

Talon1977 wrote:
BA in Communications.

From everything I've been told by numerous sources, Univ. of Phoenix is completely legit and accredited. I've asked several folks who I trust, and are in a position to know, say that when Univ. of Phoenix first started doing what they do now, there were lots of skeptics, but now they're sold on this being the wave of the future of education.

The classes I'm taking are going to be challenging it looks like. I'm looking forward to it actually.

I have a number of close friends who have gotten degrees there. Not only are they fully accredited, but they are fast, and thorough. If you are going to the school for classes, the structure makes it easy to learn and retain the knowledge if that is your goal. Alternatively, if your goal is to get a degree with little work, you can get away with that to, if the group you join doesn't care.

My Best friend got her BA in 2 years of classes, and she only had to devote one evening and one weekend day per week to class.

The only downside is if you plan on transferring to a University. Your degrees will count, but credits don't, so even if you get a BA at UofP and then move to a University to get your Masters, you can get caught having to redo some courses for the credits.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

hmmm this is great information. Currently, I'm working my ass off on my degree - this maybe an option for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:38 pm 
Spammer

Ughh... I was really hoping that was not going to be the case. I was hoping to possibly do a Masters at Trinity College in Dublin. It's going to be bad enough trying to convince them our American universities don't suck. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:06 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

I think taking credits internationally follows a different set of rules. I suspect the Uni of Dublin will look at it on a case by case basis based on what you've actually studied.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)