Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:56 pm 
Spammer

Today in History: Academy Award winning actor Sir Alec Guinness was born in Sussex, England.

In honor of the man's greatness, I will not dote all over his role in Star Wars, but instead draw attention to the fact that he was in fact a VERY talented actor long prior to his donning of the brown robes.

Guinness was awarded multiple "Best Actor" awards during his career, for his many brilliant performances.

Here is an interesting piece of Guinness trivia from Wikipedia.....

Quote:
On Friday, September 23, 1955, Guinness was at the Villa Capri restaurant in Los Angeles, and found no table available. The actor James Dean, then filming Giant, invited Guinness to sit at his table. During lunch, Dean talked about his new car, a Porsche 550 Spyder. On leaving the restaurant, Dean insisted on showing off the car to Guinness, who said "Please never get in it. If you do, you will be dead within a week." Dean died in a fatal car crash in the Porsche the following Friday, September 30.

Happy Birthday Sir Alec.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:10 am 
Spammer

The man was amazing. It is truly a shame that he had a difficult time with the aftermath of his Star Wars role.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:10 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
The man was amazing. It is truly a shame that he had a difficult time with the aftermath of his Star Wars role.
I think the problem was that he was already quite old by that point and didn't really do much signifcant post Star Wars. So most of my generation only know him for that role.

I would recommend watching some of the Ealing Comedies for those who want to see some of his earlier work. His role as George Smiley in the 80s was very good too.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:39 am 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
Master Gui-Jan wrote:
I think the problem was that he was already quite old by that point and didn't really do much signifcant post Star Wars. So most of my generation only know him for that role.

I would recommend watching some of the Ealing Comedies for those who want to see some of his earlier work. His role as George Smiley in the 80s was very good too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of his early work. I just think it's a shame that he couldn't embrace the attention he was getting from the younger fans who only knew him from Star Wars. Regardless of whether he considered it a good role or not.

What he failed to realize was that many fans that were introduced to him from Star Wars went on to look for his earlier work and then became true fans.
I just think he would have been happier if he could have just accepted it for what it was, people appreciating his work.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:07 am 

The Bridge on the River Kwai

He was brilliant in that role.

Interesting tidbit on James Dean..................