Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Italian Vacation
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:22 am 
Site Admin

Early this month Danyale and I met up in Rome for an 14 day Italian vacation. Because it is hard to get a flight out of Djibouti, we ended up arriving in Rome 4 days before our packaged tour began. Below are the details of the package we took.

Quote:
ITALY AT LEISURE
11 days incl. air, or 10 days Rome/Milan (ZZW)
We fly in 4 days early, so we will spend 4 additional days in Rome, 14 days on the ground in Italy.

Vacation Overview
    This is the perfect vacation to see Italy’s highlights in the most comfortable way. Three nights in Rome with a special Welcome Dinner and with sightseeing including St. Peter’s, the Sistine Chapel, the Forum, and the Colosseum. The centrally located hotel gives you the opportunity to also explore this fabulous city on your own. On the way to Florence, visit the square in Siena and picturesque San Gimignano. The three nights in Florence, again with centrally located hotel, feature sightseeing including a visit to the Academy of Fine Arts to admire Michelangelo’s David, and also allow visits to the Leaning Tower in Pisa and splendid Verrazzano Castle to learn about Chianti wines and enjoy lunch. Two nights in the center of Venice include visits to St. Mark’s and Doges’ Palace, and an unforgettable Venetian cruise to the islands of Murano and Burano. Stop in Verona to take pictures of Juliet’s Balcony before this 11-day discovery ends in Milan with a visit to the magnificent gothic Duomo.

Map

Itinerary
    Day 1Arrival in Rome, Italy
    (Thu.) Board your overnight transatlantic flight.

Day 2Arrival in Rome, Italy
    (Fri.) Time to rest or start exploring the Eternal City. At 6 p.m. meet your Tour Director and traveling companions and leave the hotel for a special welcome dinner with wine in one of Rome’s lively restaurants. (D)

Day 3Rome
    (Sat.) Sightseeing with your Local Guide starts with a visit to the VATICAN MUSEUMS and SISTINE CHAPEL, world famous for Michelangelo’s ceiling paintings and The Last Judgement. Continue to monumental ST. PETER’S SQUARE and BASILICA. Afterwards relax or explore the city on your own. Later you may wish to join an optional walk to Trevi Fountain, Navona Square, the Roman Pantheon, and the Spanish Steps, and finish with a Roman dinner party. (BB)

Day 4Rome
    (Sun.) This morning follow your Local Guide and visit the COLOSSEUM and the ROMAN FORUM, where Roman Legions marched in triumph. Then time to savor la dolce vita and enjoy independent activities. An optional excursion to Ostia Antica is available. (BB)

Day 5Rome–Siena–San Gimignano–Florence
    (Mon.) First stop this morning is in Siena. Walk through ancient, narrow lanes to Piaza del Campo, site of the Palio, Siena’s spectacular medievalstyle horse race. Then continue through unforgettable landscapes of gently rolling, vine-clad hills for a stop in hilltop San Gimignano, the most picturesque of Italy’s perfectly preserved medieval towns. Afterwards on to Florence, the splendid capital of Tuscany and birthplace of the Renaissance. (BB,D)

Day 6Florence
    (Tue.) Follow your Local Guide and visit the ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS with Michelangelo’s celebrated David and the magnificent CATHEDRAL. Admire Giotto’s Bell Tower, the Baptistry’s heavy bronze “Gate of Paradise,” and sculpture-studded SIGNORIA SQUARE. The afternoon is free. Florentine leather goods and gold jewelry sold by the ounce are attractive buys. You may wish to join an optional dinner outing to a fine Tuscan restaurant. (BB)

Day 7Florence
    Excursion to Pisa and Verrazzano Castle. (Wed.) A fast journey will bring you to Pisa. Here take your pictures of the amazing Leaning Tower, 180 feet high and no less than 12 feet out of the perpendicular. Today’s highlight: hear about the fine art of blending four types of grapes to obtain the famous Chianti at VERRAZZANO CASTLE; enjoy WINE TASTING and lunch before returning to Florence. (BB,L)

Day 8Florence–Venice
    (Thu.) An easy morning drive through the wooded Apennine Hills to Venice, a powerful magnet for romantics and art lovers from around the globe. Enter its glittering maze of islands, canals, and bridges in style by PRIVATE BOAT to meet your Local Guide. Highlights of your walking tour are ST. MARK’S SQUARE and BYZANTINE BASILICA, lavish DOGES’ PALACE, and the BRIDGE OF SIGHS. Then enjoy Venice at your own pace, or join an optional gondola ride. (BB)

Day 9Venice
    Murano and Burano Islands Excursion. (Fri.) Enjoy an unforgettable Venetian LAGOON CRUISE to the islands of Murano and Burano. Glide past the islands of San Giorgio and Santa Elena, and along the banks of the famous Lido. In Murano watch GLASSBLOWERS fashion their delicate objects in an age-old traditional manner. Then continue on to the picturesque fishing village of Burano, renowned for its bright pastel-colored houses and for its lacemaking. Take pictures of traditional fishing boats and enjoy an included lunch. Return to Venice in the early afternoon. (BB,L)

Day 10Venice–Verona–Milan
    (Sat.) Stop in Verona, medieval setting of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet and see Juliet’s Balcony and the Arena, an incredibly well-preserved pink marble Roman amphitheater. Built in the 1st century A.D., it is now the magical venue for world-famous opera performances. Then on to the dynamic city of Milan with its famous Scala Opera House, glass-domed GALLERIA, and magnificent GOTHIC DUOMO. An optional farewell dinner may be the perfect way to celebrate the success of your Italian vacation. (BB)

Day 11
    (Sun.) Your homebound flight arrives the same day. (BB)

Optional Excursions
    Here's a list of optional excursions you can enjoy during your vacation. Whether it's a special dinner, a local show or a special behind-the-scenes glimpse into an historical site, optional excursions are wonderful way to enrich your vacation even further. Plus, they give you flexibility. We include the must-see sites and experiences, and we also understand that people take interest in different activities and may want to craft a more personal vacation by hand-picking optional excursions that appeal to them.

Availability is subject to sufficient participation, weather conditions, seasonal suitability, group interests, and general feasibility for your vacation. The approximate value listed gives you a good, general idea of what you can expect to pay but may vary once you are on your vacation. Optional excursions can only be purchased when you're on vacation and are not sold in advance. Some information provided might be in a foreign currency, you can use our online currency converter for exchange rate information.

CITY: Florence

Tuscan Dinner
      Drive out to the Tuscan Hills to enjoy a traditional Florentine meal, including drinks, in a picturesque country setting.
      Approximate value: EUR €49 per person

Renaissance Dinner
      In the magnificent setting of Palazzo Borghese, enjoy a four-course dinner with wine served by waiters wearing costumes inspired by the great Florentine banquets of the 15th century. Original Renaissance music, ballets, and a jester will add to the cheerful evening.
      Approximate value: EUR €50 per person

Highlights of Uffizi Gallery
      Admire the world's greatest collection of Italian and Florentine art. The GALLERY showcases works by Leonardo da Vinci, Botticelli, and Michelangelo.
      Approximate value: EUR €36 per person

CITY: Rome

Excursion to Tivoli with Dinner
      Leave Rome for a guided visit of the famous VILLA ADRIANA or the VILLA D'ESTE GARDENS and FOUNTAINS in Tivoli, followed by a typical country-style dinner with wine, spumante, and music.
      Approximate value: EUR €71 per person

Excursion to Ostia Antica
      Ostia Antica at the mouth of the Tiber is the home port for ancient Rome's conquest of the Mediterranean. Your local guide relates the surprisingly sophisticated urban life of more than 2,000 years ago as your visit a Roman theatre, an ancient mill, and the luxurious Forum Baths. Note: Comfortable walking shoes are advised.
      Approximate value: EUR €45 per person

Roman Highlights and Dinner
      A guided walking tour takes you to some of the most famous monuments. Admire the Spanish Steps, Via Condotti, Piazza Navona, Parliament, and Pantheon. Later this evening enjoy a four-course dinner at a popular Roman restaurant. Drinks included.
      Approximate value: EUR €63 per person

CITY: Venice

A Venetian Night Out
      Travel by private water taxi along the splendid Grand Canal with its elegant palaces to a fine Venetian restaurant, and taste four mouth-watering courses of local specialties and wine. Later there's time to explore and absorb the romantic and unique atmosphere of Venice by night.
      Approximate value: EUR €66 per person

Gondola Serenade
      Enjoy a serenaded ride in a traditional gondola (for 6 people), gliding through centuries-old canals, under famous arched bridges, and past lavish palaces and quaint piazzas.
      Approximate value: EUR €40 per person

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:25 am 
Site Admin

I took over 1000 pics, here are a few, I will add more later. I am at work, so I will try to elaborate later.

1) Trivi Fountain: This was one of our favorite places.

2) Pantheon: Build in 125AD, the Pantheon was original a temple for all the gods, later it was converted into an ornate Christian church. The painter Raphael is buried inside, along with early Italian royalty.

3) Inside Pantheon:

4) Pantheon Ceiling

5) Piazza Navona: Many artist fill this area with displaying they works. Danyale and I bought two paintings for our living room.

6) Neptune Fountain: there are many fountains in Rome.

7) National Monument: this place is huge, you will get a better feel for the size in later pics.

8) National Monument

9) National Monument

10) National Monument

11) National Monument

12) Roman Forum: Ruins of achent Rome. We have many more pics of the ruins taken a few days later.

13) Roman Forum

14) Roman Forum

15) Colosseum:

16) Colosseum

17) Colosseum

18) Roman Forum: The Palatino

19) Roman Forum: The Palatino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:54 am 
Spammer

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Speechless. I can't wait to get back to Europe. :cry:

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:30 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Fantastic photos Cyrus. I've never been to Italy, they remind me of my trip to Vienna though.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:08 pm 

Excellent! You only posted Rome though, I really enjoyed Firenze (Florence) and the Tuscan Countryside towns more though.

Don't you just HATE the "Rose" trick at the Trivi fountain and other touristy spots in Rome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:25 pm 
Spammer

Very nicce pics Cy. Thank you.

I think Italy is where the wife and I will vacation next, once we save up the money for another big trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Cordalis wrote:
Excellent! You only posted Rome though, I really enjoyed Firenze (Florence) and the Tuscan Countryside towns more though.

Don't you just HATE the "Rose" trick at the Trivi fountain and other touristy spots in Rome.

I have many more pics to post. I was in Rome for 7 days, you are seeing pics from day one and two. I will get the other days and locations out asap. I liked the Colosseum, Tuscan Countryside and Venice the most. Our hotel in Rome was in a great location, same with Venice. In Florence I felt on the outskirts, plus my credit cards started to give me trouble at that time, so my memories are tainted in Florence. .

Yeah the rose and other tricks are annoying. Being in Africa I am used to the beggars and scammers. I found them to be much nicer in Italy. But my wife falls for them every time. They must smell gullible on her.

Angelus wrote:
I think Italy is where the wife and I will vacation next, once we save up the money for another big trip.

If you go, be ready for it to cost a lot. I’m scared to see the full tally of our stay. Rough math in my head puts it at 20k. But we bought a lot of stuff for our house, plus it was our tenth anniversary, so there was jewelry involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:27 am 

wow, rome looks good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:44 am 

Brings back memories from when I was in Rome. That as about a week after I joined these forums.

Beautiful pictures Cy.
Love them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome stuff! I'm taking a trip to Italy in September. I already have the whole thing planned out. Rome, Orvieto (small Umbrian town), Florence, Venice. Bring on more pictures and any more tips you can give to someone who will be going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:52 pm 

Romsuiag wrote:
Awesome stuff! I'm taking a trip to Italy in September. I already have the whole thing planned out. Rome, Orvieto (small Umbrian town), Florence, Venice. Bring on more pictures and any more tips you can give to someone who will be going.

Rome: Hit the highlights then hit the road! Avoid the Scammers....and eat Gelato...

Orvieto: was nice, cooked most of my meals in my room. Oh how I love fresh tomatoe, fresh mozarella (goats milk if possible), and some nice prociutto...oh and spicy olive oil. There are some neat tunnels under the city to go in, get the "Key to the City Tour", oh, and eat gelato.

Florence: awesome city, plan ahead if you want to see the famous art stuff, there are often ridiculous lines (2-3 hrs), get up WAY early for Uffizi if you want to see that. Take a train up the hill, nice view of the city. Oh, and eat gelato...

Venice: don't fall in the water, cross the bridge of sorrows, and eat gelato...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:20 pm 

I went to Italy last summer... only I lost my camera in customs on the way home. Ahh the memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:02 am 

I went to Italy 10 years ago with a bunch of people from my school. I remember vividly all those places in the pictures, thanks for resurfacing the memories Cy!

Rome was cool, but I really liked Florence. We also went to Sorrento, and took a ferry to Capri, beautiful...

Also, you can get beer (to go if you'd like) at McDonald's... crazy.

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:04 pm 

TheMole wrote:

see...you see! AMERICA is NOT FREE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:03 pm 
Spammer

Cordalis wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Told ya. :x

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:20 am 

Talon1977 wrote:
Cordalis wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Us non-americans have known that for a long time....:-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:36 am 
Spammer

Talon1977 wrote:
Cordalis wrote:
TheMole wrote:

That's funny. In actuallity serving beer in a McDonalds is a sign that they are not Free. The more a country encourages its populace to drink the more they keep the populace complacent and strengthen the Governments ability to work with less interference of the people. IMO

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:39 am 
Spammer

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Talon1977 wrote:
Cordalis wrote:
TheMole wrote:

That's funny. In actuallity serving beer in a McDonalds is a sign that they are not Free. The more a country encourages its populace to drink the more they keep the populace complacent and strengthen the Governments ability to work with less interference of the people. IMO

Wow MGJ, I didn't pick you as being someone who connects freedom of choice with governmental control.

/ya learn sumtin' new ev'ry day

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:38 am 
Spammer

Golga Bolg wrote:
Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Talon1977 wrote:
Cordalis wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Wow MGJ, I didn't pick you as being someone who connects freedom of choice with governmental control.

/ya learn sumtin' new ev'ry day

ROFL.... and off we go to The Forum!