Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

I just watched a G4 podcast that said Blizzard has just acquired the domain for Diablo3.com. I checked it out and found that Diablo3.com now redirects to Diablofans.com.

Here is the news post on their site:

Quote:
Ahoy there, fellow Diablo fans!

Well, there's no point in beating around the bush any longer, so let's get right down to it. A few months ago we were contacted by Blizzard in regards to the Diablo3.com domain name. While they appreciate all the work that's been put into running this big Diablo fan community over the years, they still want the domain name. Hmm, I wonder why? Now before you get all up in arms about it, allow me to explain a few things.

First off, this fan site isn't going anywhere, it's just getting a new name: Diablofans.com! Blizzard is actually being really cool about it, giving us all the time we need to make it a smooth transition before we hand the old domain over to them. So be sure to update all of your bookmarks and point 'em to diablofans.com instead. Your user accounts will all still be perfectly functional and, along with this new site name, we'll soon have a big site redesign up and running as well. A new name, a new look. Huzzah!

Secondly, while Blizzard is indeed acquiring the diablo3.com domain name, they told me that this shouldn't be considered an announcement for the Diablo 3 game we've been waiting for all these years. They acquire new domains all the time. While this is true, I personally can't help but think that this is a confirmation of sorts that they're working on the next Diablo game. Sure, they can claim it's because they want to protect their intellectual properties 'n what have you, but I can't imagine they would all of a sudden be so interested in the diablo3.com domain if they weren't working on a new Diablo 3 game behind the scenes.

On a final note, I want to thank all of you guys who've made this community so strong over the years. It's only going to get better around here and I hope you'll all stick with us. One of the nice things about this whole name-change ordeal is that Blizzard really appreciates the fact that we're a dedicated fan site and we'll be working with them much more closely in the future to bring you the latest Diablo game news.

It's funny, I've had so many offers over the years from people who wanted to pay a lot o' cash for the diablo3.com domain name and I wasn't even willing to consider then. I set out to have a great Diablo fan site because I simply loved the Diablo series. Fortunately, with the help of some great people on the staff and fans like you, we accomplished just that. But when Blizzard came around asking for the domain, I was excited about it both as a Diablo fan and for their recognition of all the work we've put into the site. Fortunately for us, the diablofans.com domain name was available and it fit perfectly in line with the intentions of this site, so I registered it and here we are. Diablo3.com will still be active for a few more months so everybody can have a chance to get used to the new Diablofans.com domain. After that, it will simply point to the Blizzard.com homepage... at least until they're ready to use it for something more worthwhile. One of the nice things about the new diablofans.com domain is that it's all-encompassing. Instead of the site just being for people waiting on Diablo 3, it can serve as the main hub for *all* current and future Diablo games. Isn't it nice to know you'll always have a place online you can call home? Hey, even Diablo's demon minions need a place to hang their hats too.

Alright, that's all the news for now. I'm sure all of this news is gonna get the Diablo 3 rumor mill running like a mad banshee... so have fun discussing the announcement with your fellow Diablo fans!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:45 pm 

That's awesome news. For some reason. I've been playing a lot of diablo 2 lately, and just the thought of a possible franchise continuation down the road is enough to give me goosebumps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:30 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

So is this the point that someone should acquire diablo4.com for a little bit of profit further down the road?! :P

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:12 am 

X2-PB wrote:
So is this the point that someone should acquire diablo4.com for a little bit of profit further down the road?! :P

already checked that! diablo4-diablo9 are all taken...didn't check after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:29 am 
Spammer

When I first read about this last week I thought that it was an indication that the "Secret Project" that Bliz has a team dedicated to was D3 and not the hoped for Starcraft MMO, and I was a little dissappointed. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a 3rd Gen Diablo come out.

But after talking to one of my friends who used to work for Bliz, he pointed out that Bliz tends to secure rights to thinge like domain names, copyrights and trademarks during the first stage of development, which he said is the planning stage, usually months before they put together a development team.

Of course, he left the company shortly before this "Special Project" team was put together, so there's no telling how much the company has changed their practices with the new owners, however I clearly remember him telling he how much the artwork he saw for "Starcraft 2" looked more WoW-like than the screenshots and footage we can see of Starcraft 2 on Blizzards website. Which leads me to still believe they are working on a Starcraft MMO right now.

I'm making some big assumptions, what with news like that coming out, but I'm happy living in my little world right now, so don't burst my bubble!

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:27 am 
Site Admin

would now be a good time and place to publically admit I have never played Diablo? It is something that has been on my mind for a while. Something I am both ashamed of and proud of at the same time. I know there are others. If it takes me coming out and standing up first, well so be it. Ridicule be damned!

Hello, my name is Moge and I have never played Diablo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:52 am 

iJasonT wrote:
would now be a good time and place to publically admit I have never played Diablo? It is something that has been on my mind for a while. Something I am both ashamed of and proud of at the same time. I know there are others. If it takes me coming out and standing up first, well so be it. Ridicule be damned!

Ever tried Titan Quest?

Anyway I remember being proud of never have tried Diablo 2.
But watching my friends playing all the time at the netcafé made me wonder if it was any good.
Then I was kicked out from home and moved into one of my friends and he showed me the basics of D2.
I was hooked for a year and a half before realizing I had a level 80 Barbarian with equipment to boot. And I still cpomplained I was too weak.

If you try it out you will find it rather simplistic for a RPG (it is a hack 'n slash) but when you wanna see more, you need to get better, to get better you need to beat you enemy, to beat your enemy you need better equipment and greater skills, to gain greater skills you need to beat more enemies, and when you finally have gotten one goal you want more and more....

I'm off got some titan quest to play :-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:22 pm 

iJasonT wrote:

Shuns and ridicules you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:41 pm 
Spammer

Location: Cork, Raining-all-the-time-island. (not this one, the other one)
Never played the click-a-thon mouse destroyer Diablo was, I much rather would have played Baldu's gate at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:50 pm 
Spammer

slugeater wrote:
Never played the click-a-thon mouse destroyer Diablo was, I much rather would have played Baldu's gate at the time.

Indeed.
I actually played it once : I started playing and was like "whoaaa". 5 min after I deleted it out of bore :(

Maybe the 3rd one will be good !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:41 am 

Click a thon? Maybe, but there's no denying the depth that game had. More than the vast majority of rpgs, with tons more replayability.

Like most Blizz games they are easy to get into but with much more under the surface. I'm sure many found it boring or repetitive but those people weren't interested in exploring all that it had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:26 pm 

iJasonT wrote:

Heretic :wink:

I hope Diablo 3 is more Guild Wars like in the ability to drop and pick up professions at will instead of having to reroll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:59 pm 
Spammer

Aranarth wrote:
I hope Diablo 3 is more Guild Wars like in the ability to drop and pick up professions at will instead of having to reroll.

Is D3 even going to be MMO style? I don't recall D2 even having professions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

I loved D2 when played over the "closed" battle net. I can’t think of a better game during that span of time. The depth of available loot, the meaningful class customization, free multi player. No other game came close. It got more and more fun when you moved up to nightmare and hell modes.

It is also the game that turned my wife into a gamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:38 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
I loved D2 when played over the "closed" battle net. I can’t think of a better game during that span of time. The depth of available loot, the meaningful class customization, free multi player. No other game came close. It got more and more fun when you moved up to nightmare and hell modes.

I can see Cyrus' eyes welling up as he typed that :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:19 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:

I think I played the game for 6 months in SP and quit. When I got a cable modem, I then played on battle.net for another year+.

the game would allow you to explore systems and the only downside was that you couldn't reallocate your talents (which is why WOW has that ability). matter of fact, there is so much D2 in WOW, you guys would be shocked.

the game was an action game and there certainly was a grind factor to it, but you could also have loads of fun. I remember being one of the first javazons in the Secret COW layer and just amazing people to the potnetial of a true specialized build. Basically taking the thing down on my own.

in the end, it was the inability to modify talents that somewhat shut it down. I recall having some fun on their simple magic item creation where you had maybe a 1 in 30 chance to create something unique (and then socket it :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:22 pm 

i remember wow-ing people with my level 89 Martial arts assassin... people told me i was retarded for that build... who ever heard of an Assassin that doesn't use traps? people's opinions started changing, when i could solo the hell-cow level... everyone wanted to know how i kept standing while surrounded by 50 cows all wanting to make me into hamburger... lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:10 am 

Gaming communities are quite funny when you do something that's regarded as outside the box for no other reason than no one else has had the smarts or curiosity to try it... and my god, don't they just jump on something they had previously criticised when it's proven to work? Never admitting they were every wrong to denigrate it at all... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:02 am 

blur wrote:
Gaming communities are quite funny when you do something that's regarded as outside the box for no other reason than no one else has had the smarts or curiosity to try it... and my god, don't they just jump on something they had previously criticised when it's proven to work? Never admitting they were every wrong to denigrate it at all... :roll:

Agreed, and in many ways D2 was the game that could be "broken" and in sooo many ways. It was the game that, at least for me, got me thinking outside of what the developers really intended. And it gave it so much more fun.

I totally agree w/ Cy and Arindel. There was nothing close to this game at its heyday. And I'd agree that the inability to recalc builds really hurt. Also the hacks and exploits and cheats were maybe even worse.

Still, it was a great game. One of the saddest moments in my gaming life was watching as my 81 hardcore Zealot finally died. For those that aren't familiar w/ D2 a Zealot is a Paladin that focues on fast attacks to multiple foes and hardcore was a server type that meant when your character died, he died. No rezzes. Game over. The bosses in Hell difficulty were often immuned to various schools and often more than one. If I remember, it was Mephisto and he was Physical and Magic Immune and I couldn't get away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:34 pm 

I never played multi-D2, but I still have my SP warrior somewhere in my harddrive. Level 53, never got past it since I lost interest.
I started late, actually about 4 years ago, so when I created my char everyone had the level 70+ to brag of, that they brought to the netvafé and played with them on multi...
When I reached the level 50's there weren't any D2 players at the netcafé... since most of the old guys moved because of job or education. Others got sick of the 8-12 year old kids who hogged the computers all day for the momma's money and played CS all day...

Sorry.. still nags me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:04 pm 
Spammer

I made a post in our WoW-Horde boards but will ask here as well.

Is there any interest in Avian to get a D2 multiplayer game going? I never got into the MP scene so dunno the details, but can we get a whack of us together on our own private game/server? If so, would it be us vs PvE?

Sounds like the game would be familiar to many around here and I think could be a neat reminiscing game to get many Avians back playig together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:42 am 
Site Admin

I played on closed battelnet. In my opinion it was the best and only way to play. It is provided by Blizzard, and it is the least hacked. My nephew played on open servers, I watched him, and I feel the hacked items ruin the fun. Playing in the closed battlenet environment allows you to play with others if you want, and trade gear with others, this is key because collecting gear is 90% of the fun.

When you first create a character you have to play that character 90 minutes in the first few days or they get wiped. From then on if you don’t play the character once in 90 days they are wiped.

Once on battlenet you create a game. Games have a name, and can have a password. The game will have quests complete/incomplete according to the person who created the game, so if a high level player creates a game, the low level bosses will have already been killed. Replaying boss fights is common and fun from a loot collecting perspective.

Game difficulty scales with the number of players in the game. The more players you add, the more difficult, more numerous the mobs are. Quality of loot drops also scale with the number of players. I believe the maximum number of players in a game is 8.

The game is PvE, you can only hit other players in a duel. Duels are like in WoW where you have to accept.

I don’t know if I can play from Djibouti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:48 am 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
I made a post in our WoW-Horde boards but will ask here as well.

Is there any interest in Avian to get a D2 multiplayer game going? I never got into the MP scene so dunno the details, but can we get a whack of us together on our own private game/server? If so, would it be us vs PvE?

Sounds like the game would be familiar to many around here and I think could be a neat reminiscing game to get many Avians back playig together.

Ok, started a thread on this in the Member forums here.

We will start out with members and open it up to Guests once we get rolling. How does that sound?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:22 am 

Cyrus Rex wrote:
The game is PvE, you can only hit other players in a duel. Duels are like in WoW where you have to accept.

This is sort of correct and I'm trying hard to remember exactly how it works but you could be PKed in an open game. But someone had to declare that they were hostile before they opened up on you.

Someone would make a game to run Act 5, for example, and leave it without a password to get more people to join up. A PKer would join, find out where we were and then come at us. You'd get a warning that so and so was "hostile" and everyone would run for a portal to get back to town.

The things I remember were that you couldn't be in the group and you couldn't gank people in towns. But people were ganked, and in Hardcore that was really shitty, but part of the game too, IMO. Made it very interesting. It also took some balls from the ganker as his toon could be done too if he ran into the wrong group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:03 am 
Site Admin

A new teaser image is on Blizzards website, rumor has it that it may have something to do with Diablo 3. Or I am thinking it may be something to do with the Frozen Throne. Blizzard gave the file the named: ice3, and there are what look to be runes a few places in the image. I believe this is a teaser leading up the gaming conference in Paris this weekend. We shall see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:07 am 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
A new teaser image is on Blizzards website, rumor has it that it may have something to do with Diablo 3. Or I am thinking it may be something to do with the Frozen Throne. Blizzard gave the file the named: ice3, and there are what look to be runes a few places in the image. I believe this is a teaser leading up the gaming conference in Paris this weekend. We shall see.

Yeah, I saw that online the other day and thought the same thing you did. I can't imagine Ice and Ruins standing for anything related to Diablo or Starcraft. However there is still a small possibility that the Mystery MMO that Blizz has been working on the past year or so may have nothing to do with any Current property of theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:23 pm 

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/

bitchin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:45 pm 

The cinematic and game play videos are for lack of a better word... awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:41 am 
Site Admin

Hell yeah....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:17 am 

thanks for the link!

Only problem is I ended up throwing in my Diablo 1 CD to whack some demons... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:15 am 
Spammer

Awsome. I had a hunch D3 was going to be the big announcement at the confention over the weekend. Woot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:28 pm 

Looking forward to Diablo 3.

Also looking forward to Guild Wars II. Diablo 2 led me to Guild wars in the first place.