Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Pics of the sand storm that hit us today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Is one of your buddies flying over the dumptruck in the second picture, or what is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

That is a crow. There is a weird "Wizard of Oz", "Westfall", "The Stand" vibe over here when those crows start doing their thing.

Last edited by Cyrus Rex on Wed May 14, 2008 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 am 

wow, thats a lot of sand

geuss thats why they call them sandstorms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:18 pm 
Spammer

See? It's global warming. /ducks and runs.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:38 pm 

When you making it back to the world?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:49 am 
Site Admin

In August I will come back to the States for two weeks of R&R, and then go back to Djibouti. Upper management has made it clear that I will be the last person to leave the project. Currently it looks like I will complete project closeout for our five existing projects in early November.

However the military is in love with us, and would like to see us win more work on this base. Five projects are waiting funding; they are a new Dining facility, new Command Center, additional Runway, Runway ramp, and a Sewer Upgrade. If we win any of those projects my stay in Djibouti will extend out much longer.

In addition to that, Africom has chosen to be headquartered out of this base, and some other base in Germany. That decision means that many upgrades to this base will need to be completed before the new command arrives. Many cool things will happen with Africom, but it is all sketchy at this time.

In addition to all that, Monday I met with a Lockheed Martin project director about running submarine cable from Special Ops Command compound to an area off the coast. I want the submarine job the most…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:02 am 

Cyrus Rex wrote:
In addition to all that, Monday I met with a Lockheed Martin project director about running submarine cable from Special Ops Command compound to an area off the coast. I want the submarine job the most…

Now, those would be some great pics to see! (thought highly improbable due to security).

Thanks for the pics, this has been a fun thread to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:09 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Tetran wrote:
Now, those would be some great pics to see! (thought highly improbable due to security).
You'd be surprised. A lot of stuff is released under various bits of Freedom of Information legislation.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:52 pm 
Spammer

LOL... now that's funny.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:11 am 

Cyrus Rex wrote:

SOSUS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Aranarth wrote:
Cyrus Rex wrote:

SOSUS?

I believe SOSUS is for finding subs. This isn’t for finding subs. This is a 11 kilo volt line, to power a sub from the land based power source. I don’t know why they would do that, but I think it sounds cool. There is also a fiber optic cable to transfer data which I also think is cool.

My company turned down the request for proposal saying it was fixed price and Lockheed did not allow us enough time to put together a proper estimate. Lockhead stopped me in the dinning hall asking why we turned it down; I told him what I knew and pointed him to my PM. The next day we received an email practically begging us to propose something. I want this job so bad.... I picture myself on a sand dune at midnight looking into the sea trying to spot the sub. lol