Site Admin

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/stor ... 115981.asp

Quote:
LFL Goes A Trademarking

Posted By Mike on July 11, 2008

"Star Wars The Old Republic"
"Star Wars Sagas"
"Star Wars Legends"

So why list the above titles? Becasue LFL apparently has trademarked all 3 for “Entertainment services provided on-line by means of global and local area networks, namely, providing interactive computer game software, interactive video game software and interactive computer games and interactive video games, all on-line by means of global and local area networks”

Could one of the titles be that of the future online MMO we have been anticipating and reporting rumors on for some time now? The names were officially registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on July 3, 2008 so all of a sudden, the rumors and speculation don't seem so far fetched. Click here to visit the source post at Starwars-Universe.com for a screenshot of the trademark. More as we hear it though you can check out the related links to catch up on some of the rumors we have been hearing over the past year or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:18 pm 
Spammer

Wow!

Wouldn't a new Star Wars MMO made by Blizzard, or that other company who is currently working on a Secret MMO project (why can't I remember their name???) be awesome???

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 pm 
Spammer

Well those are pretty generic names you would tag a MMORPG with if you were making one. I am gonna say those names sound like KOTR/KOTR time frame MMORPG. Not sure if I like the idea of hundreds of jedi running around but meh...hopefully they learned something from SOE...

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:59 am 
Spammer

I am still hoping the secret Bioware project is a Star Wars MMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:45 pm 

Angelus wrote:

Ask and ye shall recieve

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/17/porfo ... kotor-mmo/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

This, my friends, is exciting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

I'll expand my comments a bit.

...no, no I won't. - I really have much to hope for in this but I think I/we need to realize that this will certainly not be SWG2. I'm excited about the possibilities of KOTOR-OL but this will clearly be a Jedi focused PVP game. I'll wait for more/any information before I get all excited.

"MMO" means just that. The only requirement is multiplayer online. This could mean, guildwars style battlegrounds, RvR style or - god forbid FPS (though I doubt that).

I'll hold my judgment and excitement for later, that said this is certainly interesting news 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:07 pm 
Spammer

Two words: woot sauce

Now to hound a co-worker who has a buddy working at Bioware...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:46 am 
Site Admin

I think it is ok if it is Jedi focused..... if it is meant to be Jedi focused.

SWG was not planned to be Jedi focused, but because the only early challenge was to grind holocrons SOE assumed we all wanted to be a Jedi. This sucked because the game took place in a period of time where there were few Jedi. Mario and Bowser were just about as Starwarsy as the direction SOE took SWG.

The game released so far behind the polish curve that SOE were reactive instead of proactive. Typical SOE standard operation procedures calls for rushing the game out the door and fixing it later once the subscriptions are coming in. For that I hope Blizzard and other MMO companies run SOE out of the MMO business.

I remember the first time I played KOTOR I wished SWG had the implants and items of KOTOR. There were many things at that time that I wish were in SWG, I cant remember them all now. I think the real challenge is for them to make non Jedi classes desirable and meaningful. Slicer comes to mind. If they put many quests, good crafting, fun starwarsy classes that are unique and different to play, and place it is a real Star Wars setting, I think they will get my money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:32 am 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:

Bioware. D'uh! That's the one I couldn't remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:44 am 
Spammer

SWG originally had no intention of letting players be actual Jedi. (I believe for a while there was talk of allowing some players to be Force Sensitive, which would lead to some minor, yet interesting, benefits)

I remember the first days of the Forums, although they did not specifically say No Jedi, they did say the wanted the game to have the feel of the "A New Hope" era, and multiple Devs said they did not see Jedi fitting into the scope. That all changed, however, as the Star Wars fanbase that was rabid about playing Jedi decided to jump on the SWG wagon and push for it.

I think that the addition of Jedi in SWG is the sole cause of the game not living up to what most players expected. I think it was the root of every bad decision they made in the game, and thus was the reason the game was/is a failure.

If a KOTOR MMO had come out first I believe we would have gotten a SWG that we liked, since they wouldn't have had the pressure to add Jedi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:48 am 
Spammer

Cyrus and Gui-Jan hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned.

Bioware knows their stuff, and if they contemplate Jedi right from the outset, and consider all the balancing involved, as well as add other fun classes to the game, they will have a hit and the key to my wallet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:32 am 
Spammer

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/17/porfo ... kotor-mmo/

no idea how accurate that is but saw it on another forum i visit

-------
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:17 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Ravage beat you to it DF!

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:44 pm 

Thats the exact same link i posted yesterday, which sparked the above conversation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:33 pm 
Spammer

damn didnt see it

-------
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

GFE

Angelus wrote:
Cyrus and Gui-Jan hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned.

Bioware knows their stuff, and if they contemplate Jedi right from the outset, and consider all the balancing involved, as well as add other fun classes to the game, they will have a hit and the key to my wallet.

Cyrus Rex wrote:
I think the real challenge is for them to make non Jedi classes desirable and meaningful. Slicer comes to mind. If they put many quests, good crafting, fun starwarsy classes that are unique and different to play, and place it is a real Star Wars setting, I think they will get my money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:53 am 

I've read very interesting rumors about this game and one in particular from someone who has had a few "off the wall" rumors come to fruition. One is that the next SW MMO is to tie into the TV show where in game events cross over into the TV show and vice versa. Intertwining story lines and even mention of in game characters making brief appearances or mentions in the TV story. Who knows how that will play out, if at all, but a very interesting concept. But the idea of having your in-game character be mentioned or seen on a TV show would be a huge draw to a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

@tetran
While this seems cool I would argue that this is the very thing that will make KOTOR-OL into one giant fan boy/ twitchy/twink/ l33t gearz craving child gamer.

The show which, I'm sure, will be watched by all ages will, in fact, be marketed toward the 13-2x market. If the game (knowing LA) is geared toward them then they game mechanics will follow. Based on this alone I have reservations about the 'maturity' of the games possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:41 am 

i can picture it now on the show. they're sitting around in a cantina... sippin some correllian ale,... someone leans in and whispers to the group "hey guys, you hear SirLickmaiBawls took out that dreaded rancor pit on dathomir last week, he got a commendation from the Jedi order for bravery!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:08 am 
Site Admin

I think what Tetran spoke of is cool. If the show and the game are marketed to our age range it would be great. If it is designed for the JarJar crowd then we could be in for some trouble. Speaking of that, most of the kids I know were not converted into Star Wars fans after seeing the prequels. To my disappointment the story did not grab them like the original movies grabbed me. I think kids are different now then 20 years ago when we were kids. I’m willing to bet money that Lucas does not comprehend that. If he is aiming for those kids we are all doomed because the game will appeal to none of us.

Speaking of the TV show, I would love to see a serious Star Wars drama. Something like 24, BSG, or, Heroes. Lucas is stuck in a time bubble when it comes to their vision comedy. It might have worked in the old serials and the sitcoms on the 70s and 80s. But that stuff no longer interests me. Like I was saying before, I don’t think that stuff appeals to today’s kids.

Give me a serious Stars Wars drama TV series. Add in a serious Star Wars MMO to the mix and the sucking sound you will hear will be all my money going to Lucas ranch.

@Ravage, that is some funny stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:53 pm 

iJasonT wrote:
@tetran
While this seems cool I would argue that this is the very thing that will make KOTOR-OL into one giant fan boy/ twitchy/twink/ l33t gearz craving child gamer.

The show which, I'm sure, will be watched by all ages will, in fact, be marketed toward the 13-2x market. If the game (knowing LA) is geared toward them then they game mechanics will follow. Based on this alone I have reservations about the 'maturity' of the games possibilities.

So true. Especially the last part...

Younger gamers tend to ask for attention in games and takes up a lot of space in the game world because of that.
It's like:
1 "Hey look at me I killed the rancor in less than 2 minutes!"
2 "n00b! I did it in 30 secs haxx0r"
1 "yeah but I got lower level than u!"
2 "Shut up"
1 "No u shut up"

and so on

What I miss is things like
a "I managed to kill the rancor"
b "Gratz..."
c "I'm working on that... any pointers?"

The fact that the industry is going so far for younger audiences tend to hamper games in many ways... Less/no blood were appropriate.. simplified game mecanics...
additions that doesn't fit to the content...

Oddly I notice that somethings like profanity are reason for higher game ratings, but the biggest contributers of that are in fact the kids/teens that the censors are trying to protect...

I don't know what happened here, but I suddenly needed to rant a little... sorry 'but that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:01 am 
Site Admin

Azz great observation on the younger games. I agree with you completely.

Lastnight I watched a G4 E3 podcast about the Clone Wars game for the Wii and a lightsaber game for the Nintendo DS. The Lucas Arts representative was so out of touch with guys like us. I have a bad feeling about this… If they aim any younger we are going to Star Wars logos on diapers and teething rings.

The Lucas Arts representative was so fanboy. I get the impression he would indorse The Smurfs into the Star Wars universe as long as they wielded lightsabers.

I feel like Star Wars is now like Michael Jackson. Both are surrounded by people who tell them their every idea is wonderful. They get so much ass kissing from the people around them that they have lost touch with the rest of the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:23 am 
Spammer

Cyrus,

Although I respect Blackman, I have to agree with you. I think most of the LucasArts Producers think that the only people who play SW games are Fanboys. Even Hayden seems to make some of his decisions based on the Fanboys wants, although The Force Unleashed might be a bad example.

As far as Melding game with TV Series, it's pretty doubtful. First off, Lucas doesn't want to cheapen his Franchise by making show where LucasFilm doesn't control the story. Second, he had a real tough time selling Clone Wars, as none of the Big Networks or Cable stations wanted to take a chance on it. I believe he's already got the Live Action series sold to a network, but rumor has it they are hitting a creative wall and he hasn't approved any scripts for it yet. I couldn't imagine any Station taking a chance on a TV series that is influenced by an MMO.

Now, if it was just the other way around, so that the Story continues to progress based on a TV Series, I could actually see them pulling that one off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:41 am 

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Now, if it was just the other way around, so that the Story continues to progress based on a TV Series, I could actually see them pulling that one off.

That's what this person said the focus would be on, with the chance for in-game events to make a mention or appearance on screen, but that the MMO story would be linked to what is happening on the show.

Honestly, I don't believe it myselfm, but I thought it was worth mentioning as some of this particular "mole's" rumors have come true.

Personally, I think the game is going to be another lowest common denominator game like the rest of the crap spewing out of the MMO industry. MMO's have now entered the summer blockbuster stage in their life cycle where every studio is trying to clone some mediocre Michael Bay action movie because if made XXXXX$ one summer....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:47 am 
Spammer

why would they make Star Wars The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels (Wii) when the Force Unleashed has Duel mode on the Wii as a confirmed feature that other systems will not have?

-------
"Gone Section Five"