Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:19 pm 
Spammer

Here's my problem:

My desktop (aka gaming PC) cannot establish an IP address either when connected to the modem directly, or if a router is in place. Also, the router itself will not obtain an IP.

The modem is brand new, just being replaced today. I can connect via this laptop (posting from now) and to my Xbox360 fine when connecting straight to the modem.

The tech that came in said it may have something to do with my desktop PC and the router having the same MAC address, and that they cannot do anything on their end to clear it from their router database, and that we'd just have to wait 2-3 weeks for that figure to be purged automatically.

Any of the cpu tech savy people here know what all of this means or if there are other things I can do to see wtf the problem is? I cannot run the automatic router setup function of the router since it cannot obtain the IP.

Also, what would have caused this since it was working fine up until a lightning storm a few days ago. Everything is on a good surge bar so I am at a loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:07 am 

That the MAC address is the same on both the pc and the router is highly unlikely but in your case very unlucky.

MAC-address is a quasi-unique way of identification on the hardware.
Though it is possible to change the MAC-address I don't know how...

But it might be the IP-address that is the problem. That is easily changed. Do you use XP, Linux or Vista?

At any rate in XP you find the icon for the LAN-connection, usually positioned in the notification bar bottom right as two small screens. If it isn't there, then go to the Controlpanel and change it into classic view. Then find Networkconnections (think it's called, I use Danish version) (Start -> Controlpanel -> Network connection)

You should then get a window where you can see the different connection possibilities as Wireless LAN, LAN and such. Right-click the LAN icon and go into properties.

Then a window will open where it got three tabs. Keep it on the first (General). Under that is the NIC you got (NIC=Network Interface Controller, your LAN card) where you can configure it. Don't touch!
Go further down to the part where you can roll down different protocols. Find the TCP/IP protocol and left-click it, then left-click the properties button.

You will then see a window that show you what kind of a IP-address you use. Either one you chose yourself or a automatic. Try and change that.

I know it isn't much, but I hope it helped... can't do much if I can't work with it myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:54 pm 

First of all... the tech that came to your house is a retard

Azz is right on, the MAC address is a unique hard coded address, that every networking component is imprinted with. you literally can't have the same one for your PC and router. I would have seriously said "what are you a retard?" if he said that to me.

I don't know how your setup, but first thing i'd try is pull the plug on both the modem and router, plug the modem in first, let it cycle through its boot process, then power up the router.

You shouldn't have to do anything special, the router should pick up your external IP address automatically.

I'm assuming your PC is directly connected to the machine, so there should be no interference, (it will work wireless as well) pull up a web browser and type 192.168.1.1 as the address. (different routers have different IPs they assign as their gateway, if that doesn't work try 192.168.0.1, if that doesn't work, open a command window and check what your default gateway is with ipconfig)

anyway, if you get to the correct page, it should prompt you for your router's admin password, and it should work even if it doesn't have an external IP address. if you can't pull up your router's web interface... chances are your router is messed, and likely the cause of your issues.

oh jeeze..
Quote:
and that they cannot do anything on their end to clear it from their router database, and that we'd just have to wait 2-3 weeks for that figure to be purged automatically.
you're not using Telus are you? god i hate their system. if you are, you call them, and tell them you need help to register your router with their shitty system. they can either clear it, and do it for you, or talk you through it. its been a while since i've had to do that for a client, so don't remember the process. having to wait 3 weeks for it to go automatically is BS.

post more info if none of what Azz and I have suggested helps, we'll do what we can to get you going, i'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:03 pm 
Spammer

Naw, I'm with Shaw. I refuse to give Telus any money, including the fact we don't even have a land phone line for the house. Telus is the devil...

It seems I have resolved the problem. Had to get a new router but I can now get the net from my desktop. Not sure wtf went wrong with that old one. At least I can return it.

Thanks for the help guys.