Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xbox 360 help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:37 pm 
Spammer

Just got the E74 error message after 2.5 years of owning the system. From the 360 forums it sounds like its a video card issue, which makes sense given that I was getting some artifacting in my last gaming session on teh console yesterday.

I can send it away to get repaired free, but am worried I'll just get sent a dud back.

So, my question is - does anyone know if I were to buy a new 360 Pro system, if I could just replace its blank hard drive with my current one? Or it is possible to transfer data from one 360 hard drive to another? If so, how is that done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:15 am 

You can buy a transfer kit (not sure of the price), or you can buy a memory card, put the Old HD in the new 360, transfer game saves to the memory card (must be a Microsoft 360 memory card) and then swap the new HD back in.

Remember that your Live games can just be DL'd again for free. So don't bother trying to save them for the transfer.

Unless you have a vault full of gold to swim in I'd just have them replace it. You'll probably just get sent a new one.

Does your 360 have a HDMI output?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:16 am 
Spammer

No it does not have the HDMI out. I did some more looking and the unit was manufactured March 2006, purchased June 2006. Its one of the 20GB Pro systems.

I am still waiting to receive an email from tech support with the mailing address to send it off. Finding my own box to ship it in rather than wait for them to send a box (aka "coffin") shaves a good 1-2 weeks off the total repair cycle time the guy said.

I also read that if you get an Elite, you can DL this form and send away to get a transfer cable for free. Gotta read some more to confirm whether it works for the new 60GB HDD.

Yeah, the only things I am concerned with are the free DLC I have obtained thus far, my game saves, and my achievement list. Demos and gamer pics/themes are low priority.

Really tempted to buy a new system and tehn once the old one comes back sell to a buddy or my brother for cheap. I dunno...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:32 pm 

Your saves are the only thing you'll have to swap to the new unit. Your Achievement list is stored on the MS servers with your gamertag, not on your box (99% positive about that). MS keeps track of your DL history so you'll always get to Re-DL the freebies as long as you got em once.If you ship out your current 360 they'll probably tell you take out the original HD and only send the 360 by its self.

The cable for the elite would make sense for MS from a marketing standpoint, but I don't remember anything about a free cable. Of course my memory is pretty crappy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:46 pm 
Spammer

Yeah, I have to remove all accessories, including hard drive, before sending away.

I am not sure about the achievements. They appear on your profile even when not online so that's why I think they are saved locally somewhere (likely hideen files).

I am really leaning towards just getting a new system with the newer better chips/cooling in it and then sell the old one to my bud or brother.

Gonna pop over to Best Buy to talk with someone tonight to see how their replacement plan works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:54 pm 

if they're telling you to take out the hard drive before you send it, they're not likely going to send a new one with the replacement machine. If thats the case anyway, you'll have anything you have saved on the hard drive. nothing would be stored in the internal workings of the unit.

with regards to your achievements. yeah, you'd be able to view them offline with a cached copy, but they'd update from the servers any time you're logged in