Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Avian in WAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:38 pm 
Spammer

Quick post to indentify any Avians who will be playing Warhammer Online in the near future as chatter here about the game is almost non-existant.

CE pre-orders get to start this Sunday (Sept 14), with other pre-orders starting the 16th, and normal retail customers getting in on the 18th.

With what I have read on the game recently, it sounds very promising and I wish I would have pushed to mooch an open beta key earlier.

So, count on me grabbing a copy sooner after retail release and at least giving it a month.

I'll also pipe up for GodOfGophers here as another that will be in game (he'll be in Sunday). He plans on rolling on the Order side (server and ruleset TBD).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:05 pm 
Spammer

I was considering grabbing this one. My game time has been extremely limited lately though.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:31 am 
Site Admin

I have heard mixed reviews thus far. Some say it is great, others say it falls short. I wont be playing anytime soon, but I would love to hear some Avian reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:25 am 

I'm partially inspired to try it out...I may cancel paying for my WoW sub as I havnt' touched it in a few weeks now.

I did however find a bunch of half painted or unpainted Warhammer figures from back in the day, and am also partially inspired to paint them up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:46 pm 

I been playing WAR for the last two Preview Weekends and all of Open Beta and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Yes, there are issues with the game – crashes to desktop, animation glitches, login queues, and realm/class balance but the fundamentals of the game cannot be beat. Open RvR has been some of most fun I have ever had in a MMO, I spend 12 hours non-stop playing WAR the first Preview Weekend (called in sick on Friday). The RvR scenarios are 15-minutes of fast paced killing that makes you want to jump right back in after you are done with one. As for PvE, I outleveled Tier 1 (max level is 11) without even completing all the quest in the first half of the tier and did some of the same Public Quest three times trying to win the loot roll.

War is everywhere and its really fun too ... (that my personal view).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:21 am 

I bought the CE and started playing yesterday. Got my Engineer to level 6 this morning. I'm on the Phoenix Throne server, Order side, my toon is named Blunder.

I agree a lot with Jamal. It's not perfect, and not nearly as polished as WOW, obviously, but the action, especially the RvR is everywhere. It's so easy to get into a fight and it's fun (maybe partially because it's new and different?).

The public quests are a great thing too. There's lots of lore (though don't expect it to be like the tabletop game).

I'm going to give it a good try. If anyone is interested you should give it a shot too. Look me up if you want. I joined The Guardians. Some of you might be familiar with them. I ran a bit with them in GW.

I'll update more as I go on but I'm really looking forward to the higher levels and keep sieges. That's where the game will really shine me thinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:15 am 
Site Admin

I may pick it up this weekend. Not really looking for a longterm game atm but a nice weekend filler could be fun.
Haven't read to much about classes/races but I typically lean towards healers as they allow me to jump into pvp pretty quick and be effective on a team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:21 am 

iJasonT wrote:
I may pick it up this weekend. Not really looking for a longterm game atm but a nice weekend filler could be fun.
Haven't read to much about classes/races but I typically lean towards healers as they allow me to jump into pvp pretty quick and be effective on a team.

6 different healers to choose from, 3 on each faction. There are some interesting mechanics that go along with them too. On the Order side, the side I'm most familiar with, the Rune Priest is almost a pure healer but the other two, the Archmage and Warrior Priest really rely on doing damage to help boost their healing.

And healers make a BIG difference in the scenarios, even at level 1. Personally, I think it will make a really good weekend game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:32 am 
Site Admin

silly question. Is there an official game forum? I'm having trouble finding class specific information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:49 pm 
Spammer

I cannot find a forum on the WAR official site either.

For discussions, I have been going to http://www.wardb.com/. GoG posted this link for me and it is essentially the Wowhead of WAR. Very good info there and the forums are very active.

The Greenskin shaman healer was interesting for the 3 levels I played of it. Similar to how GoG describes the Order side healers, in that the shaman uses power from Gork and Mork. Gork is a damage dealer, and Mork a healer. The more offensive spells you cast, Mork gets jealous and entices you to cast a heal spell by increasing its strength and quicker cast time. The opposite holds true for Gork. So, to be the most effective, the shaman has to cast both offensive and defensive spells. I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:19 pm 

Warhammeralliance.com is a good site. Their forums are the best I've seen.

Also, just came across this one today. They have the best class descriptions, all in one place, that I have seen.
http://warhammer.gamepressure.com/

There were official forums for the closed beta but it doesn't look like that will continue for live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:44 pm 
Spammer

Woot, just popped out at lunch and got my game. I didn't think retailers were selling the non-preorders til tomorrow but a BestBuy here in the city was. Will get it installed tonight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

there is a rumor that the game wont go live until 1pm tomorrow and not midnight. Anyone see confirmation of that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:13 pm 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
there is a rumor that the game wont go live until 1pm tomorrow and not midnight. Anyone see confirmation of that?

I haven't seen anything about that. I am going to install and try and get online tonight (just bought the normal, non-preorder retail release). Given that they have early access going on already for the pre-orders, how can they restrict those who bought copies from retailers who have just started selling it early?

I know they have to open more servers up tomorrow, but I should be able to instal, and join the Phoenix Throne server that is already up and running. Unless they tie access to serial numbers used in pre-order vs retail boxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:49 pm 
Spammer

Dammit, they did have special codes for non-preorders. I can install the game but cannot create an account. Da well, I may just have to stay up late and see if servers come online at midnight. If not, tomorrow it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:28 am 
Site Admin

Im hving trouble installing on my old ass system. Keep getting disk errors. May not b able to install this without upgrading my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:43 pm 

In game and lovin' it.

Also in <some other> beta and got bored again real quickly (1 night)

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:00 am 
Spammer

Deak Almar wrote:
In game and lovin' it.

WotLK :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:22 am 
Spammer

any other thoughts by people playing this game?

Looking for some indepth perspective, because I am leery of getting back into an orcs, elves, fantasy MMO. I enjoyed my short time in EQ2, wasn't much of a WoW fan...and am trying to figure out if giving WAR is worth the time/effort.

I'm still playing EVE although I took a forced break for the past 2-3 months...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:49 am 
Spammer

My WAR review:

Best features

- RvR (i.e. PvP) - amazing! Many different scenarios/battlegrounds. Career balance seems to be ok. Collision detection does not allow you to break line of sight by running through people, and formations like tanks up front with healers at the back are actually useful.

- atmosphere - I think Mythic did an amazing job creating the feel for War being everywhere. Right off the get go at rank 1 you feel involved in the fight.

- RvR at all level tiers is important, not just the "end game" Keep sieges.

- gain gold and xp just by doing RvR.

- Public Quests are simple ingenious!! Its a way for even the more PvE oriented folks to get a feel for RvR. Lower tier PQs are simply PvE and you just need people around to finish them. Good loot drops from them and I have never had a problem earning enough influence to get a decent roll on the loots. Great mechanic.

- quest rewards, PQ loots, and influence rewards are specific to your career, which means no more Pally plate items drops when there is no Pally in your group situations. Great.

Weaker aspects

- game depends on server balance between Order and Destruction on each server. No major problems thus far that I have experienced but could be a problem should a "flavor of the month" career turn up and everyone flocks to that side.

- long log in queues on some of the early pre-release servers

- spatial chat is nigh non-existent. Just odd given that WoW always had tons of banter going on in the more popular regions. Could just be b/c people are so busy raging Waagh! to have time to chat. I dunno.

Overall, solid MMO. I am just playing on a casual basis but it does provide a good bang for your buck and is very pick up and play for a short period of time, vs having to play for hours straight to acomplish anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:58 am 
Spammer

Deak Almar wrote:
In game and lovin' it.

SGW ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:59 pm 

Anyone else still playing?

and yeah I was WotLK beta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:08 pm 
Spammer

I did not play WAR past the first free month. Was cool, but I was, and still am, a little burned out on MMOs. I find I get much more entertainment value out of other games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:18 pm 

I played for a bit. Got an Engineer up to 15 or so and then Angelus made me delete him so we could roll Destro on the same server, which of course never happened....

While I still play WOW a ton, part of me really, really wanted WAR to work. They are so close to making it a great game, but I just can't get past level 10 or so on any of the toons I make. It just seems to be missing something that WOW has. Will keep my sub going for a while and hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:24 pm 
Spammer

I rerolled. Just only played a squig herder and shaman to lvl 8 or 10. Then I lost interest. Too bad, cause the game does have promise, but as GoG notes, just is missing that certain something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:36 am 

Tried the 10 day free trial, played a white lion to lvl 7 engineer to lvl 4 and one other (a archer) to lvl 3, played for 5 days and now done with it. Sticking to WoW still.

Post subject: Re: Avian in WAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:04 pm 

Anyone else still playing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:55 pm 
Spammer

I have not played it in many months.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:10 am 

My account is still open, and I play from time to time but my highest level toon is 10. I'm very upset w/ Angelus for forcing me to delete my lvl 16 Engineer and I may never forgive him.

The game seems polished and complete but it's not holding me. I just can't get into it.