Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Ummm...how bad was that? Am I the only one in lament here?
There are like 20 Peters around, Matt got shafted into some stereotypical "spirit walk" side story, where is Micah? WTF happened to Nathan? Clunky references to the equally confusing graphic novel story? Hiro is supposed to protect a ripped piece of paper or something? How about the gratuitous ethnic love between Mohinder and Maya?
This season has a lot to prove yet...all these questions I have are not the kind of intriguing questions that are good to have, they're just plain bafflement at the jumpy and disconnected story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:30 am 

Umm.. have you seen the previous seasons? its all jumpy and disconnected all over, until its not and everything is brought together in awesomeness.

There are so many storylines, even with a 2 hour premier they wouldn't do justice to cram them all in to the first 2 episodes. I still expect to see Micah.

Anyway... give it time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:26 pm 

I took great lengths to make sure I couldn't read the above posts yet as I opened this message because I haven't watched the new episode on my DVR yet. I can't wait though. I look forward to some interesting conversation over the show this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:08 pm 
Spammer

I have to watch the S3 premiere on my DVR this weekend. I have very high hopes that the show will return to the greatness it had in season 1. I felt S2 was a little lack lustre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:24 am 
Spammer

I did really like the Premiere.

Had some issues, and also I wouldn't be surprised if some of the missing pieces do not get answered this season. The biggest issue is they didn't get to really finish last season, and those storylines aren't compatible with this season's storylines. My best guess is they'll either throw together a 2-hour TV-Movie, they'll turn the last hour of Villians into a 2-hour special and use the last hour to clear up what happened between season 2 and season 3, or they will simply wait until Season 4.

Mohinder has always annoyed me.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:52 am 
Site Admin

I liked it. I give it a B+

It was not as great as the second half of season 1, and it was not as great as the second half of season 2... but I think it was better than the first half of the previous seasons.

I like the 2 Peters. Matt's story doesn’t bother me. I don’t care about Micha, or the other one in New Orleans.

I agree WTF is up with Nathan. Clair's real mom showing her powers was weird and not needed. I don’t know how I feel about Sylar and Peter being related.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:38 am 
Spammer

I enjoyed the premiere and agree with much of what Cy had posted. Love the Peter storyline, and Hiro is a blast. Interesting how they have hinted at playing Ando against him in the future. Possibly miscontrued in Hiro's eyes (i.e. Ando knew something Hiro didn't)??

I am now fully confident this season is going to bring the show back on track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Well dropping Mohinder for an episode improved things. The time travel and future seeing paradoxes are a little rough, but I guess they've been part of the show the whole time.
The Clare bit didn't make a lot of sense, her mother can do fine without oxygen? The enmity between her mothers is pretty well played out, though.
Sylar is picking up powers left and right, was that the only point of the escaped dudes? Knox (the fear guy) has an interesting power, although I don't see why he would have let all the hostages go, doesn't that depower him? Nice of Peter(s) to leave Noah to die there, as well.
Crazy old cloning German doctor ftw...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:36 pm 
Spammer

Onto Kracken wrote:
Well dropping Mohinder for an episode improved things. The time travel and future seeing paradoxes are a little rough, but I guess they've been part of the show the whole time.
The Clare bit didn't make a lot of sense, her mother can do fine without oxygen? The enmity between her mothers is pretty well played out, though.
Sylar is picking up powers left and right, was that the only point of the escaped dudes? Knox (the fear guy) has an interesting power, although I don't see why he would have let all the hostages go, doesn't that depower him? Nice of Peter(s) to leave Noah to die there, as well.
Crazy old cloning German doctor ftw...?

Well said. I too was "WTF" with the Claire and mom oxygen thing. I am very "meh" about Parkman. I did like how they showed his sunburnt face though. Attention to detail, and he was stupic for not covering it somehow.

And yeah, Knox was an idiot. Neat power that Peter and Sylar picked up. Banshee FTW!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:54 pm 
Spammer

I would expect a biproduct of being able to create fire to be the ability to not require oxygen, or to require much less oxigen. Can you imagine how the Human Torch would be able to survive while fully engulfed in flame if he still required the normal amount of oxygen to live?

Despite that, I think the character of her Birth Mother is rather poorly written, although it does lend itself to some interesting questions, such as how long has she had these powers? Does Nathan know about them? How would she have so much knowledge of them if she hasn't had them very long? Why is she such a b..., um, er, boring person.

The reasoning here is to drive Clair to be a Psuedo-Baddie for a while, however they could have done this in many other ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Continuing the criticism...
Besides a little overuse of the "smack somebody in the head and knock them unconscious" trick, I guess we at least know what's going on now. The Parkman/Daphne story has potential, and Sylar is about the best character now, especially compared to raging prick Peter and questionable villain Mohinder. Why is he cocooning people again? Is it supposed to be for research or is he sucking their blood or something?
I think too many people were "villainized" too quickly. If Heroes just wanted to be X-men, then fine, but it was interesting at first because of the "real people who don't understand what's going on" aspect. Obviously there's an implied suspension of disbelief, but an evil team headed by Mr. Soulsucker pushes it a little further than I think is necessary. There is enough evil in normal humans' motivations that they could have made good believable villains without going to that degree. Like Captain Subprime or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:53 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

I think I have to agree with Onto here. I haven't really seen that many episodes, but the first one of the season seems much like a sharp turn than a continuation.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:46 pm 
Spammer

After watching about 4 episodes of this season my interest in the series is definately starting to wane.

One of the biggest complaints I have about series is that I want someone I can root for and care about. I seem to have lost that here.

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:24 am 
Site Admin

What is good and what is bad. Are you 100% good or 100% bad? I think I am good, but I day trade. Some people say day trading is bad. Today I try to be good in my life, but in the past I did stuff that was bad. Was giving poor people houses a good thing or bad thing. At the rate the foreclosures are going and banks are folding it seems like that was a bad idea, however 10 years ago many thought it was a good idea.

What I am trying to say is that the line between good and bad can be very blurry depending on your perspective, or as Obi-wan said, a certain point of view.

This season in Heroes they have shaken everything up. Some people who were bad are trying to be good. Just about all the Heroes are faltering, people who are good are messing up and doing bad things. Plus they added many new bad guys to the mix. It is called Villians after all.

I am still liking the season. Mohinder’s is acting like an insects because of the serum he injected himself with, I am not really feeling his story line. The "real people who don't understand what's going on" aspect dose not work any more, see the lousy start of season 2. Most people did not care about all the new people who were discovering their new abilities. Most people wanted to see more action, ability use, and ability growth. Thus the end of season 2 changed, and the start of season 3 is packed with action, ability use, and ability escalation.

Aside from Mohender, I am enjoying this season. This season Terminator, last season BSG where a whole lot worse. Besides Heroes, what else is on TV that you like watching?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:50 pm 

Hiro is still my favourite storyline. That guy ruled from the start of season 1.

My only shows right now are Heroes, Terminator, and House.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:02 pm 
Spammer

Quote:
What I am trying to say is that the line between good and bad can be very blurry depending on your perspective, or as Obi-wan said, a certain point of view.

Right, but they have to make the story enjoyable, and it isn't feeling that enjoyable to me to try to sift through this murky water.

Also, as someone pointed out on another forum, they are not spending enough time on each story arc this season. There is a lot more jumping around, which makes it easier to lose track of the plot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Cyrus, I agree that good and evil can be very nuanced, that's what I'm saying actually. Taking a nuanced approach would have been cool and fit the real-people-who-happen-to-have-super-powers framework, but the villains are like a lifeforce vampire with a nefarious organization and a mad scientist with flaking skin, not exactly nuanced evil. There are a few things like Daphne's conflicting character and Sylar controlling his hunger that are closer to the line, but overall it's a little too black and white.
I like Hiro too, but it's hard to say why he can't just go time-freeze and walk around the new company until he finds the formula he is supposed to have. There are a lot of plot holes like that with the abilities.
Heroes is the only show I watch, other than occasional anime. Which makes me wonder why I pay for Japanese cable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:14 am 
Spammer

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Quote:

Right, but they have to make the story enjoyable, and it isn't feeling that enjoyable to me to try to sift through this murky water.

Also, as someone pointed out on another forum, they are not spending enough time on each story arc this season. There is a lot more jumping around, which makes it easier to lose track of the plot.

You know, I thought they were clearly headed in the wrong direction with the whole Patrelli family being reuinited. So far, I'm enjoying the new season (even with the given quirks). at first everyone thought that the entire happening was a matter of natural evolution and I think that we are finding out that it was all fixed by the 'company" from the very beginning and that the groups splintered into many factional beliefs. some doing a better job convincing others they were playing along.

there seem to eb alot of dynamics at work here and the pieces of the puzzle have been coming otgether. What appears to be an unnatural addition in one week seems to work it'self out to a believable act in later weeks.

As far as taking MGJ's quote, I think you may not be enjoying it because you want to know where the story is taking you rather than going along with the story. There's a few angles here that don't seem to have good parts to it and you think you may know how it works. I'm willing to give the creators some liberties unti lthe final product is out there.

At one point, I was disppointed they didn't kill Sylar because how coudl they let someone that evil and powerful exist? How are you feeling about Sylar these days and why didn't anyone point out earlier that Sylar named his kid (Noah? after Claire's dad... The writers are very subtle abotu these things and bring the pieces together nicely...enjoy the ride.)

Then again, if you don't liek the multiple plots in tom Clancy novels where they all come together, then maybe this style of show isn't for you either :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:09 am 
Site Admin

Do any of you listen to the 10th Wonder Podcast? I have been listening to it for almost a year now. I feel like it really enhances the show for me. They discuss Heroes related news, review each episode, discuss theories, and stuff like that. I really like it. http://www.heroespodcast.com/

The same group does a podcast for Terminator and Smallville, the Heroes is more organized and professional, the Terminator one is more laid back and silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:23 am 
Site Admin

http://tv.msn.com/tv/how-to-heal-heroes/?GT1=28103

The podcast Cyrus recommended was pretty good, although it's a week behind? They linked to that article above, which is a great summary of what's wrong with the show, on the same lines of what I was talking about above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:47 am 
Site Admin

The Podcast is not normally a behind; last week of the guys had a family member in the hospital so they are off pace a bit. Last season they would do a was a quick reactions show the day of the episode, and a few days later they would do the full show. This season I think they are doing a live streaming reactions show, and a few days later they do the full show. I haven’t attended any of the live streaming shows.

I did not care for this weeks show. The story seemed too chopped up; I just did not like the pace. I have liked this season more than first half of the other seasons, but I admit this one was my least favorite so far.

I also wish the African painter’s artwork was better looking. In the first season the mystery what “what does this painting mean”, this season the mystery is “what is did the guy just paint”.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:32 am 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
I also wish the African painter’s artwork was better looking. In the first season the mystery what “what does this painting mean”, this season the mystery is “what is did the guy just paint”

So, the paintings from this season and the first season all come from the same artist, and the intent is that they are supposed to look like they were being painted by the same painter, just with a very slight difference in influence. For the most part, I think they are pulling it off, however the subjects do seem to be just a little more abstract this time around. My guess, though, is that this is intentional. In the first season the subjects were recognizable to us intentionally, but I think this time around they are trying to keep up from being as sure of who the subjects are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:36 am 

Cyrus Rex wrote:
The Podcast is not normally a behind; last week of the guys had a family member in the hospital so they are off pace a bit. Last season they would do a was a quick reactions show the day of the episode, and a few days later they would do the full show. This season I think they are doing a live streaming reactions show, and a few days later they do the full show. I haven’t attended any of the live streaming shows.

I did not care for this weeks show. The story seemed too chopped up; I just did not like the pace. I have liked this season more than first half of the other seasons, but I admit this one was my least favorite so far.

I also wish the African painter’s artwork was better looking. In the first season the mystery what “what does this painting mean”, this season the mystery is “what is did the guy just paint”.

I agree, this was the first time I found myself just throwing my hands up in the air. There are too many arcs to keep straight. I think that they need to streamline the story and kill off a few characters. I vote to kill Hiro, his ignorance is no longer adorable and his abilities are too powerful to wrap a plot around without some glaring inconsistencies. Kill Ando and the speedster girl while you're at it. She can't act and his character is silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:55 pm 

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
So, the paintings from this season and the first season all come from the same artist, and the intent is that they are supposed to look like they were being painted by the same painter, just with a very slight difference in influence. For the most part, I think they are pulling it off, however the subjects do seem to be just a little more abstract this time around. My guess, though, is that this is intentional. In the first season the subjects were recognizable to us intentionally, but I think this time around they are trying to keep up from being as sure of who the subjects are.

Difference could also be that the African is painting on rocks, while Isacc had nice big canvases.

As for the storylines, i'm having any difficulty following them, and am still enjoying the season so far. am looking forward to everything comming together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Master Gui-Jan wrote:

I did not know about the same RL artist, thanks!

Isacc is dead, so I would not expect all new paintings to look just like the Isacc's. I might have bought the paintings from the first season. I would not buy anything so far from the second season. First season they were like pieces to a puzzle, they pulled me through each episode, and I liked that. This season they are not really being used in the same way. I guess there is nothing wrong with that; however they aren’t as interesting to me. That is all I am getting at.

Do any of you like Claire's real mom. I never have, and still don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:19 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
Do any of you like Claire's real mom. I never have, and still don't.

Nope. Useless character imo since the playing around with who does Claire like/trust more (birth mom vs adopted mom) does nothing for the story.

Plus, her fire ability has done nothing. Ohhhh look, you could light a cigarette for me... bah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

They finally got to where they should be with this show. Up the realism, interesting character dynamics, topical plot lines. I hope they continue it at this rate for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:33 pm 
Spammer

I just started watching Season 1 on netflix...I am impressed didnt expect it to be as good as it is.

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:41 pm 
Spammer

Arindel wrote:
As far as taking MGJ's quote, I think you may not be enjoying it because you want to know where the story is taking you rather than going along with the story. There's a few angles here that don't seem to have good parts to it and you think you may know how it works. I'm willing to give the creators some liberties unti lthe final product is out there.

No. The reason I wasn't enjoying it was because the story wasn't taking me anywhere specific. THEY didn't even know where they were going. They've admited it in interviews. They've gotten their stuff together since then and now have a real map for where things are going. Still think it's a little willy-nilly, but it's definitely better now.