Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starcraft II
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:02 pm 
Spammer

News out of Blizzcon has this title now split into 3, one for each of the factions. The claim is to provide a better story experience fleshed out for each (roughly 30 missions for each in single player) but I smell $$$ being a big part of the decision as well. Why sell one game when you know fanboys are going to buy 3!!!

Link:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/918/918895p1.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:53 am 
Site Admin

wow that sounds strange.

... Ok after reading I see that the Multiplayer will be in full force right out the first box. The later boxes will just add more single player content.

Quote:
each StarCraft II game will have a fully functioning multiplayer suite with all three races playable. "[In] the shipping product, all three races will be fully featured and balanced in gameplay and also in content,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:43 pm 

the only way i could see this not being seen as a money grab, would be if they released "light" versions of the second and third games, and first after the second was released... in which there would be no multiplayer content for a cheaper price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:19 pm 

Ravage wrote:
the only way i could see this not being seen as a money grab, would be if they released "light" versions of the second and third games, and first after the second was released... in which there would be no multiplayer content for a cheaper price.

They way I read it is the 2nd and 3rd versions are pretty much only single player. If you are only interested in multi, then there won't be any reason to get the last two. They may add a little bit to multi for those that buy the 2nd and 3rd but I can't imagine it would be significant.

It really is a money grab and who can blame them? This is an insanely valuable IP, and by the sounds of it, the 3 versions should all have tons of content. I'm sure it'll be worth my money to get all 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:10 pm 

I read it as they were going to package the same multiplayer content in all 3 boxes, which is what rubs me the wrong way. if you bought all 3 of them at full price, you've paid for half the content over again... twice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:16 pm 
Spammer

I don't see this as anything close to a Money Grab.

So, their plans are to Release Starcraft II Terrans first, then about a year later, Starcraft II Zerg or Starcraft II Protoss, then a year later the third title should be released.

It looks to me like a valid concept. All three will be full versions of the game, the only primary difference being the Campaigns included. To me that makes sense because Everyone has a favorite to play, so if they want they can just play that favorite and that's it.

I actually see them doing something along the lines of:
Holiday 2009 - Starcraft II: Volume I - $49.99
Holiday 2010 - Starcraft II: Volume II - $49.99
Summer 2011 - Starcraft II Volumes I & II - $69.99
Holiday 2011 - Starcraft II: Volume III - $49.99
Holiday 2011 - Starcraft II: Collection (v I - III) - $79.99
Summer or Winter 2012 - Starcraft II Battle Chest - $59.99

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:23 pm 
Spammer

Ravage wrote:
I read it as they were going to package the same multiplayer content in all 3 boxes, which is what rubs me the wrong way. if you bought all 3 of them at full price, you've paid for half the content over again... twice

I read the exact opposite. I read that the Multiplayer will be fully functional out of the box with the first release. The second and third may add additional multiplayer content, primarily due to the extra assets they will have while creating the Zerg and Protoss campains. If Blizzard holds true to their historical business model they will allow owners of the first release to download the additional Multiplayer content free. If they have changed based on the new owners, then yeah, it will suck, but it is likely to only be a case of a few maps added in the future releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:56 pm 
Spammer

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Ravage wrote:

I read the exact opposite. I read that the Multiplayer will be fully functional out of the box with the first release. The second and third may add additional multiplayer content, primarily due to the extra assets they will have while creating the Zerg and Protoss campains. If Blizzard holds true to their historical business model they will allow owners of the first release to download the additional Multiplayer content free. If they have changed based on the new owners, then yeah, it will suck, but it is likely to only be a case of a few maps added in the future releases.

but should it still cost someone with the first box 49 for the new campaign when they already have access to the multiplayer content via their org. box. 3 boxes for 1 game essential sounds a bit excessive when essential the first box is missing 2 parts that would make it a complete game.

Episodic type of business plans are okay in MMORPG market, Guild wars pops to the top of my mind in success at creating episodic expansions that build upon storyline+add new campaigns etc... but still charge full-retail but the expansiveness of each i feel is probably greater then SCII and your not paying for anything you've allready purchased (multiplayer function).

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:38 pm 
Spammer

D-Fire wrote:
but should it still cost someone with the first box 49 for the new campaign when they already have access to the multiplayer content via their org. box. 3 boxes for 1 game essential sounds a bit excessive when essential the first box is missing 2 parts that would make it a complete game.

Don't be surprised if they change their release plan and offer the Campaigns seperate from the full game as well. I say there's probably a 30% chance they will do that. Why so unlikely? Simple. The Games themselves will be full games. You are not going to buy Starcraft II Terran and get a Partial game. It will be complete. You will have over 30 campaigns in the game, equivelant to the First Starcraft, only they will ALL be Terran campaigns instead of only 12 Terran and then 10 each for Zerg and Protoss. Full Game. If they released the Zerg and Protoss campaigns as Expansions instead of Full Games they would cost anywhere from $29.99 to $39.99 each, based on how the pricing for Expansions is going now. So, for people who really only prefer playing a single race, the game will only cost $50, versus the $80 I would have to pay if I was a fan of Zerg and had to buy the base game first. For people who just want to play the Multi-Player aspect, they only need to buy one game.

DragonMan wrote:
Episodic type of business plans are okay in MMORPG market, Guild wars pops to the top of my mind in success at creating episodic expansions that build upon storyline+add new campaigns etc... but still charge full-retail but the expansiveness of each i feel is probably greater then SCII and your not paying for anything you've allready purchased (multiplayer function).

This isn't exactly an Episodic model. However, I would expect you will be getting more than your money's worth in the second and third games. I find it amazing how little faith people have in Blizzard when they have proven again and again how much value you get out of their products. This is the game company than has a track record of delivering more than expected, on time. The only Failures they had were their very first products, from which they've learned a lot.

Personally, this announcement excites the hell out of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:28 am 
Site Admin

I don't see this as anything close to a Money Grab either. Full on multi player with the first box. The second and third boxes will just add to the campaign story. If you want more campaign action buy the extra boxes. If you don’t care fo the campaign don’t buy the extra boxes.

Did you feel the movies: Lord of the Rings, The two Towers, and return of the King were money grabs? I didn’t because each was the size of normal movie. I see StarCraft II the same way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:05 pm 

Personally, I'd rather have it the old way, 1 box, 10-12 missions per race. I'm always ready to move on the the next race by the 7-8th mission anyways.