Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fallout 3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:26 am 

Its out today. Anyone else picking it up? Looks pretty cool.

I preordered from Steam. Hopefully the download won't be too bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:02 am 
Spammer

Debating.

I want to read some reviews of it first. I've never played a Fallout game before and didn't play much Oblivion so don't know if it'd fit my bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:55 pm 

Gamespy gave it 5 stars, out of 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:57 pm 
Spammer

Pretty good review.

I hope when they say lots of walking, that it at least involves fights breaking out along the way. Long walks just to get place to place in a large world without fights = tedium.

Here's hoping not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:10 am 

Played a bit later last night and so far so good.

Graphics are nice. The world is pretty damn immersive. The dialogue is good and the story is intriguing.

There also appears many ways you can build your character and your choices have consequences for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:25 am 

I will definitely be picking this up. I loved Oblivion so I'm sure tat this will be even better. I just need to finish Fable 2 first. I hate having 2 games going at once.

Of course I'll be getting it for 360 rather than the PC because I'd rather see it without the chug. If I had a sweet rig I'd rather play it on the PC, (I hear that Oblivion on the PC was a great modding platform) but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:50 pm 

It'll be interesting to see how much replayability this game has. I've been reading some about how you can develop your character over time and it's impressive how open-ended the system is.

This is a good glimpse on some of the many ways you can go: http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/d ... 27.08.html

and just from the little I've played, I can forsee lots of different ways I'd like to try. Also, it doesn't appear, again it's early, that you must min/max a few stats to get what you want out of this game.

I, myself, am only partially interested in fulfilling the main quest and would rather explore some and try and build a reputation (whatever that may be) in some area I happen to like. Being a recluse, for example, doesn't seem to punish you the way some games do, but reward you, just in other areas.

And, I find myself not feeling the need to restart because something didn't go exactly the way it needs to to succeed. That's one area I've always disliked in a linear rpg. Every step doens't need to be taken in FO3 and they don't even need to happen in the correct order.

So far a fascinating game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:40 am 

My 16 and almost 18 yr old are sold.

The 18 yr old is playing it non stop, which says a lot since he is an EVE Online addict, and likes to be the top guy on our killboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:26 am 
Spammer

I loved the first 2 fallout games and will definitely be getting this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:50 am 
Spammer

I'm loving it!

I really like how they integrated both FPS and Turn Based combat elements. It's really a throwback to the original Fallout and provides some nice action shots of combat that are not your normal First Person.

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:09 am 
Spammer

Well, I think you've all sold me on the game. I'll likely pick it up within a few days on PC and give it a go.

Do any of you find the special targeting system (VACS or whatever) to slow the combat/gameplay down at all? I guess using it is totally optional but what are your thoughts on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:29 am 

Angelus wrote:
Well, I think you've all sold me on the game. I'll likely pick it up within a few days on PC and give it a go.

Do any of you find the special targeting system (VACS or whatever) to slow the combat/gameplay down at all? I guess using it is totally optional but what are your thoughts on it?

I like it. It may slow things down a bit but that doesn't make it bad. It adds some, ahh mhmmm detailed! Yes, detailed cinematics to the battles. It's worth it for that alone. Plus, you don't ever have to use it if you don't want to, as you said.

My only gripe with the game, is that I wish it were bigger. It's not small by any means but I think it could be more.

I dont call that a big negative because the replayability is massive. It's better than virtually any RPG that I've ever played. So many different ways to go, and so open-ended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:48 pm 
Spammer

Grabbed it last night but didn't get a chance to install. Hopefully will find some time this weekend to poke my head in. I resisted the urge to hit up Best Buy this morning for Gears of War 2. I'll just have to crack open the copy I am giving to my wife's brother for Christmas when it arrives :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:17 pm 

Circuit city is offering 1600 Live Points for free with all Gears 2 Purchases today and tomorrow, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

I'm putting on a Talent Show tonight if anyone wants to come to my High School and see me and some other teachers rock out with "Say It Aint So"! I'm on Vocals and rhythm guitar.

I'll be picking up Fallout 3 after I finish Fable 2. I'll be playing it on the 360 though because I'm afraid that my computer will choke on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:51 pm 
Spammer

Hmmm, I'll have to see if that deal applies in Canada too. Well worth it.

I doubt the Canadian Circuit City will honor the deal (not listed on their website) so I may have to do some begging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:33 pm 
Spammer

Tried The Source by Circuit City today, no dice on getting them to give me the same deal as teh parent US Circuit City. Bastards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:37 am 

Rented this game for 360 on Friday and have been unable to put it down. Love it.

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------