Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: xbox vs a new videocard
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:37 am 
Spammer

Title says it all pretty much.

I'm thinking of getting a xbox because there seems to be alot more games coming out for the xbox than the PC.

I'm thinking that a xbox would only be like $200 more than a new video card and probably last longer.

The xbox will connect to my computer monitor right?

Also do I really need a 120 gb hd?

Do I really need to get the elite?

Please gimme some input. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:07 pm 
Spammer

You don't need the elite, and unless you're going to download a ton of games from Xbox Live, you don't need the hard drive.

The Xbox has my vote. :)

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:25 am 

if you REALLY wanna throw yoour money away on an xbox, i'd at least wait till it comes with a bluray player

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:31 am 
Spammer

Ravage wrote:
if you REALLY wanna throw yoour money away on an xbox, i'd at least wait till it comes with a bluray player

Then what gaming system would you recommend?

If you mean a blu-ray for movies, then I don't need that.

I rarely watch or goto movies.

The last movie I went to see was Vantage Point and before that I think it was Eight Below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:54 am 

I recently bought the Elite because of the hard drive. The Xbox is on the local network and synch's all the music and movies from my PC's. Make the Xbox a very nice media hub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:12 pm 
Spammer

Tetran wrote:
I recently bought the Elite because of the hard drive. The Xbox is on the local network and synch's all the music and movies from my PC's. Make the Xbox a very nice media hub.

Ah... never thought of that.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:26 pm 
Spammer

I try to keep my bias of wanting more Avians on my 360 friends list when I comment on PC vs 360, and will continue such here.

What kind of games are you looking to play? If MMOs and RTSs, go with the video card. Otherwise, you'll find that the majority of FPS and action games hit both the 360 and the PC.

As for the 360 details itself, you definitely do not need the 120GB hard drive unless you intend to DL and save a bunch of movies and music to your 360. However, as Tetran notes, the 360 does connect to your PC and you can stream your songs from PC to your 360, and out your home theatre. I do have the 120GB hard drive but only because I got a good deal on the bundle.

That beign said, I definitely recommend getting at least A hard drive with the 360. There is too much good content to DL over Live (Rock Band songs, demos, betas, expansions, etc.) not to get a hard drive. A buddy of mine only bought the Arcade 360 version (ie. no hard drive) and I think is already regretting it since he comes over and sees all the cool stuff I can DL).

Should you go the 360 route, my vote would be for getting the 60GB hard drive bundle. Up here, Best Buy and Futureshop are sellign the bundle + 3-4 games for $299 (Canadian). The games are LEGO: Indiana Jones, Kung Fu Panda, Assassin's Creed, and Viva Pinata. I've never played Panda so cannot comment on it, but the others will please both the more traditional gamers as well as the kids. Even I played Pinata religiously for a while.

Oh and PS, if you don't need the Blu-Ray for movies, and just want a pure gaming system, 360>PS3 imo. Don't get me wrong, the PS3 is nice. I just feel that the online community and functionality of the 360 has the PS3 beat.

Good luck with your decision Z!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:00 pm 
Spammer

I own a wii but I would go with Angelus's recommendation the bundle with Assassins creed is awesome..that game alone is worth the extra cash...the HD(hard drive) is a must have. If you like sport title go console, EA especially has seemed to be shying away from the PC market, and i've been fairly unimpressed with the recent PC offerings.

btw whats your current vid card?

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:42 pm 
Spammer

Dragon Fire wrote:
btw whats your current vid card?

nvidia 6150LE and my computer is 2 years old next month.

Games I like are action and RPG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:13 am 
Site Admin

I own a PS3, and while I love its graphics, and the fact that I use it as my blu-ray/DVD player here in Africa, I find myself wanting games that are only on the X-box at this time.

You say you like RPG, X-box has Mass Effect, Fable2 and will have the next Final Fantasy. Those are just a few of the games that make me want to own an X-box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:22 am 

I'm not sure about HDD storage use on this, but I recently started using Netflix over XBox Live. I love it! My biggest gripe about it is the movie selection has to take place on the PC. You can't browse the Netflix library on the Xbox. One you add it to your "queue" on the Netflix website, it shows up instantly on the Xbox Netflix screen. The unlimited streaming costs $8.99 a month I think, and the streaming library is much smaller than the normal NEtflix library (but you can get the DVD's too at that price).

Big Trouble in Little China on demand. Who could ask for anything more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:02 pm 
Spammer

Well I got a Xbox 360 about 3 weeks ago the 60gb hd version.

I'm loving it so far.

Currently play CoD 2 and The Outfit for my FPS games. Damn are those fun. Any other good FPS games I should look for used.

Picked up Tiger Woods '06 for sports, I'm hooked on this one real bad.

Then I got Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, and my nephew gave me Oblivion for my RPG's.

I bought the VGA cable so it hooks into my computer monitor, and then I'll pick up some cheap speakers for the RCA cables for the sound.

I haven't hooked up my ethernet yet, but have any of you who have a Xbox have any trouble with the (BC) games. I was going to to get Call of Duty: Line of Fire but the guy at gamestop said I'd have to d/l some patches for the game to make it work on the 360.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:28 pm 
Spammer

By BC do you mean original Xbox titles? If so, I have only tried a couple to play on the 360. There is a list of "backward compatible" Xbox games on teh xbox website somewhere. I know becuase I had to hunt it down to see what was compatible. No where near the numer I was hoping for and I got disgruntled and only play 360 games, save for Battlefront 2 (that rocks btw).

Other FPSs to definitely play: Call of Duty 4, and Call of Duty: World at War. War is the new one. Both of these games rock hard, both campaign and the online versus multiplayer. War also has co-op campaign and Nazi Zombie mode. Awsome stuff.

Sports: Nothing beats NHL 09 if you at all into hockey. The Be-A-Pro feature was cool in principle, but fell a little short in lasting appeal for me. Dynasty mode kicks ass though. Tiger 09 also is amazing.

RPG: You've already got Oblivion which is great. Fable 2 is also very good and should be able to start finding on the used shelves.

If you get on Live, fire Warkryme (me) a friend request, especially if you grab one of the above Call of Duties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:04 pm 

COD4-5 FTW! Enjoy a fun filled night of killing baddies with me and WarKryme! : )

Rift/Gnarlwood: Nostro - Mage (Pyro/Necro/Chrolo - mancer) lvl 29
Rift/Gnarlwood: Stilgar - Cleric lvl 8

WoW days - Aegnor/Stilgar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:53 pm 
Spammer

Stilgar wrote:
COD4-5 FTW! Enjoy a fun filled night of killing baddies with me and WarKryme! : )

Do I have you on my friends list yet? Between the names on the various forums I frequent, and most often different gamertags, I cannot tell who I have as a friend yet or not.

If you're not, fire me a FR and we'll kill some banzais or nazi zombies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:06 pm 

FPS: Halo 3 is a good time and on eof the few games that both Angelus and I own. Resident Evil 5 will be great on the Co-op front. Gears is a solid rental, possible purchase. And you can find Rainbow 6 Vegas for less than $15 which is a great game for co-op counterstrike realism against bots.

RPG: Angelus forgot to mention Fallout 3. Which is fastastic, if you didn't play it on the computer it's excellent on the 360. I also hear Lost Odessey has excellent writing and engrossing gameplay if you're into turn based RPGs.

Other: Angelus and I probably logged over 20 hours on Rock Band, love that game. Castle crashers is an excellent Xbox live (XBL) beat em' up game and Braid seemed to have a bunch of potential as well, but I'm just not ready to pay $15 - $20 for a download title. DL the demos and tell me what you think.

Fire Madran (me) a friend request, make sure you put Avian in the comments section, I'm always afraid that my students will find me so I don't reply to anonymous friend requests. I've been neglecting my 360 recently because of WoW, but it's still my gaming box of choice when I'm not playing WoW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:35 pm 
Spammer

I tried the Castle Crashers demo last week. Very fun with 4 buddies. But, like Mads, I am not dropping 1200 MS points on a DLC game just yet. Knock it down to 800 pts and you've got yourself a new buyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:08 am 

Angelus wrote:
I tried the Castle Crashers demo last week. Very fun with 4 buddies. But, like Mads, I am not dropping 1200 MS points on a DLC game just yet. Knock it down to 800 pts and you've got yourself a new buyer.

I totally agree, 800 M$ is the magic number for me to pick up Castle Crashers and Braid. Same thing for Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 1 & 2