Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Replay value
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:34 pm 
Spammer

So I go through phases with games like anyone where I play them quite a bit at first and then they slowly become less played as they age.

I recently got back into guild wars which is my usual yearly thing where I go several months without playing it and then get hooked once again.

So what is the game with the best replay / continued enjoyment factor for you? (PC in particular, b/c consoles tend to fade out quicker but either or...)

-----------------------

Guild wars came out in 2005 (some new campaigns/expansions since then) and I probably play it for a month or two every 3 or 4 months or so...

Besides guild wars the previous best just pick up and play again game was probably star craft. Counter Strike Source is often a favorite when i'm just occasionally in the mood for some shooting but COD4 has kind of hampered that. Previous to that Rainbow Six held that honor.

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:44 am 

Civilization is a game I've played consistently, to some degree, since it originally launched.

Most 4x/5x games have a lot of replay for me. Alpha Centauri, MOO, etc. SimCity it another franchise I can just sit down and play for an hour or two often. Basically, it comes down to some sort of creation element being necessary for long term investment from me.

City of Heroes/Villains is probably the only MMORPG I ever feel compelled to resubscribe to every 6 months to play for 30 days. Hopefully Champions Online will be a fresh take on that genre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:46 pm 

Hard to argue against Civ when it comes to replayability. I also cannot get away from Football Manager, CCS or now TF, and Fallout 3.

Also still play Colonization and XCom from time to time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:47 am 

For me it's more genres...
I tend to keep to certain genres and stick to those...
Though I have to admit that I do tend to play yhe same games again and and again until something better comes up.

FPS is one genre I keep to. Currently sticking with Call of Duty 2 and Freelancer (A arcade style spaceflight FPS/3PS - shooting is one of the main reason so therefore I place it here, although RPG and aforementioned spacesim are included)...

Even though I was appaled by CoD4 I was at some point disappointed... too short and less dramatic than it's predesessors (spelled please?). And I haven't tried CoD-WaW yet except for the zombie skirmish (Level 11 at third try, very impressed by myself) so I have yet to form an opinion.

In case of Freelancer there haven't really been many with the same replayability that I have tried out. The new "Dark Horizon" demo I tried said too much "Freespace II" to me with fixed mission and no free exploration. I'd like to try out "Darkstar One" and another (Which I can't remember the title on) newer game in the genre but I couldn't find any demo's for them.

In the RTS I stick to C&C. Never tried Starcraft - (I know... I'm a sinner) - so I look at it and the game is too old for me to try out...
Though I do still play Warcraft II from time to time. (I didn't like the third with it's implementation of heroes and RPG)

While I have Red Alert III and still haven't finished it I find it... in lack of words... "Cramped" in the sense that you have limited options, due to the many rules in the game. Especially with the units in the game which I find very unbalanced even amongst one's own units...
Tended to feel the same in Red Alert II. The first game in the series on the other hand was one I hold dearly.

But the one I still play is Generals - Zero Hour.
First of all I feel it is wellbalanced in it's own way. Three distinct playing styles and with each of them three specialized styles, meaning 12 ways of playing the game...
Also my friends also have it and it can run on modest computer so we play it often on our LAN sessions from time to time...

I think I'm gonna stop for now... There's more to tell but I don't know how yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:48 pm 

Civilization, and Guild Wars.

I go back to both every couple of months.

My last Guild Wars binge was over the holidays. I had a lot of fun with the Wintersday Celebrations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:13 pm 
Spammer

Civilization and Colonization are always some my "oldie" favorites.

When a few buddies and I get together to LAN, Age of Empires 2, Age of Mythology, and Starcraft are often our games of choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:41 pm 

Angelus wrote:

When a few buddies and I get together to LAN, Age of Empires 2, Age of Mythology, and Starcraft are often our games of choice.

I've played a couple LAN Colonization games here at the house with friends. Talk about a looong game - and the inevitable smack down from the Old World.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:03 pm 
Spammer

Tetran wrote:
Angelus wrote:

I've played a couple LAN Colonization games here at the house with friends. Talk about a looong game - and the inevitable smack down from the Old World.

We've thought about it, and our decision to not is exactly as you have mentioned. LONG. Turn based games do not make a good LAN (at elast for my group of friends).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

GodOfGophers wrote:

I play X-COM all the time. The first and second ones are pretty much the same, I wonder if the third one was any good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 am 

Onto Kracken wrote:
GodOfGophers wrote:

I play X-COM all the time. The first and second ones are pretty much the same, I wonder if the third one was any good.

I tried the third one some. It is much different. I didn't like it as much as the first, but it probably appeals to some.

There is still no game has really ever been as enthralling and involved to me as XCOM was. It was just so brilliantly designed. Juggling your finances and the happiness of your member nations, researching new ways to deal with the ever increasing alien incursions, protecting your squads and helping them grow, and then grieving when you lost a beloved member. What a fantastic game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:09 am 

Angelus wrote:
We've thought about it, and our decision to not is exactly as you have mentioned. LONG. Turn based games do not make a good LAN (at elast for my group of friends).

Beer is the secret ingredient :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:21 am 
Spammer

Tetran wrote:
Angelus wrote:

Beer is the secret ingredient :)

Oh trust me, we have plenty of that ingredient and then some. We prefer the RTS where everyone is doing something all the time. It is usually a tam game with humans vs NPC so whoever of us doesn't carry their weight in the war usually gets ridiculed pretty good. hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:17 am 

I still like original Unreal Tournament GOTY edition. I've never played a better multiplayer LAN game. When Cordalis and I used to work in the computer labs in college we used to install it on like 15 machines and play the Assault mode. I know they modified the assualt mode in UT2004, but I didn't like it as much.

There was also a counter strike mod for UT called Tactical Ops. I liked it better than CS, but it's probably because I played it first before I tried CS.

I also like Diablo 1 and 2, I still play them every once in awhile. I also loved multiplayer tower Defense. The first time I played one of those mods I was playing Warcraft 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:32 pm 

Madson wrote:
There was also a counter strike mod for UT called Tactical Ops. I liked it better than CS, but it's probably because I played it first before I tried CS.

Yeah... what ever happened to it?

I remember trying to convice my co-workers at the local netcafé to install it...

Also those who played LAN-FPS tended to stick with CS because they so "good" at it...
It wasn't more difficult than CS and it was actually better to look at.
The weapons was more diverse and the level were more original and less liniar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:54 pm 

Azzameen85 wrote:
Madson wrote:

Also those who played LAN-FPS tended to stick with CS because they so "good" at it...
The weapons was more diverse and the level were more original and less liniar...

That's pretty funny, I didn't think that anyone else would remember it. I'm also glad that you had much more eloquent reasons than I did for thinking it was better than CS.
As I recall it was a little less realistic than CS as well. More like 4 bullets from an uzi to kill somone rather than 2.

I know that I still got a copy somewhere

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:29 am 
Site Admin

StarCraft: Nothing like splitting the room in half with a bed sheet and spending the afternoon playing StarCraft with Danyale. Back in the day she made all kinds of rules like no nukes or giving her 15 minute head start. Now she is good, we did away with the rules and she still beats me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:10 pm 

Madson wrote:
Azzameen85 wrote:
Madson wrote:

That's pretty funny, I didn't think that anyone else would remember it. I'm also glad that you had much more eloquent reasons than I did for thinking it was better than CS.
As I recall it was a little less realistic than CS as well. More like 4 bullets from an uzi to kill somone rather than 2.

I know that I still got a copy somewhere

That's true...
I think that was one of the factors the CS'ers didn't like it.
They search for quick kills rather than strategy in a FPS...

To be honest I miss BattleZone, the first one...
A great mix of FPS, Vehicle and RTS...

And Cyrus... you'd better train before Danyale goes to e-Games tournaments with you on the side-line *smirk*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:51 pm 
Spammer

Civilization is the best game I've found so far for replay for myself. I go on a Civ kick every year or so for a couple of months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:04 pm 

WarCraft 3

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------