Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I cavin' in...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:16 pm 

As the die-hard PC-user when it comes to gaming I am caving in... The machine just can't handle the newest games and ultimatly it would be cheaper for me to just own a console.
Before you all ask how it can be cheaper to have a console instead of a PC, I will make an explanation.

When buying a decent gaming rig of a computer you have to pay around 6000 Danish Kroners (DKK) which is around 1100 US$ (This date it is 567 DKK for 100 US$).
And the system is (estimated) to be
CPU: Dual core 2.6 GHz
GPU: Gefore 9600 or the ATI equivalent.
HDD: 300 or 500 Gigs
Optical: DVD-R/RW optical
RAM: 2-3 Gigs of Memory (Usually DDR-2)
Keybord and mouse included
Monitor not included
sound system not included (Sound card usually the onboard type on the motherboard)

A PS3 cost around 3500 DKK which would be around 650 US$
A X-box 360 is around 2500 DKK which is around 450 US$

A PC game's pricatag swings around 400 to 450 DKK. (75 to 80 US$)
where as a Xbox-360 game cost around 500 to 550 DKK. (90 to 100 US$)
A PS3 goes around 600 DKK at worst. (100 to 110 US$)

So you can do the math. If you need to follow on the newest games you need to upgrade your computer atleast every 6 to nine months and usually its only the graphic-card. If you want the newst and the best card it is usually around 2500 DKK (450 US$) although you can find some at 3500 DKK (650 US$).

While the games cost some more, the total investment will never go above the PC when counting Starting price and consequent upgrades.

So I am asking you...
Whic one should I buy?

X-Box 360
or
PS3

Give me your answer and tell me why you think I should choose so.

P.S.: Can you tell me where I can find Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 for the Gamecube? I can't find any...

Post subject: Re: I cavin' in...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:23 pm 
Spammer

For consoles, I am a MS fan. Not a Fanboy, just a fan. My reasons are:

1. Tons of quality titles to choose from. I feel the 360 exclusive titles >> the PS3 exclusives.

2. The online Live service (I pay about $60/year) > the PS online functionality.

3. Their newer chipset seems to have corrected, or at least, lowered the risk of the dreaded "red ring of death" so the likihood of failure hardware has improved. Maybe not quite as good as PS3 as I have not heard much about their hardware failure rate. No need to be as scared about the 360 quality as it once was.

4. Bang for the buck is greater with the 360. Even with the blu-ray functionality of the PS3, I feel like I get my money's worth out of my 360. Though admittedly this is a smaller point than the others as the price difference between the two should be averaged over the course of 5 years (average cycle lifetime of the console).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:48 pm 

Everything Angelus said is correct.

If you have a 1080p 40+ inch TV, then might you have a decent argument for the Blu-Ray functionality of a PS3. But with that said, I have all three and the only one that I feel I get my money out of is the 360. There are more games that I enjoy, more exclusives that I care about, and to be honest, I haven't ever seen an appreciable difference in the graphic quality between the two systems.

No matter what you choose make sure you hit me up with your gamer tag/PSN ID. I've been playing WoW exclusively recently, but when burn out I'm sure I'll be back to my consoles.

PS - Avoid the Wii. $250 paperweight. I'd sell mine right now if I could most of my money out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:34 pm 

Thanks for the info....

I forgot to mention I don't even have a decent TV yet. All the screens I have are a 19" flatscreen for my comp, a 17" in reserve and an old 14" TV which is about half my age (Got it from the school since they were throwing it out).

And I did a check on the pricetags.
The 360 cost 2200 DKK so it's below the 400 US$
The PS3 cost 3200 DKK (565 US$)
And the Wii cost as much as the 360 (400 $)

The games cost 600 DKK for each console so that's 105 US$

Currently having exam preperations and mandatory papers (those that are used to meassure whether or not I'm eligible for an exam)...

Looking forward to December... Last exam after 5 months internship and I can then call myself a system administrator. With a monthly pay of min. 25.000 DKK prior taxes. (and tax is 42 %) If you want the after taxes in dollars here ya go:
25.000 DKK/5,67 = 4409 US$ (prior taxes)
4409*0,58 = 2557 US$ (after taxes)...

Is that much compared to US, Canada or UK for that matter?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:33 pm 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
For consoles, I am a MS fan. Not a Fanboy, just a fan. My reasons are:

1. Tons of quality titles to choose from. I feel the 360 exclusive titles >> the PS3 exclusives.

2. The online Live service (I pay about $60/year) > the PS online functionality.

3. Their newer chipset seems to have corrected, or at least, lowered the risk of the dreaded "red ring of death" so the likihood of failure hardware has improved. Maybe not quite as good as PS3 as I have not heard much about their hardware failure rate. No need to be as scared about the 360 quality as it once was.

4. Bang for the buck is greater with the 360. Even with the blu-ray functionality of the PS3, I feel like I get my money's worth out of my 360. Though admittedly this is a smaller point than the others as the price difference between the two should be averaged over the course of 5 years (average cycle lifetime of the console).

Ditto everything Angelus said. I've played quite a bit on both, and the bang for the buck in on the 360. That and all the cool kids in Avian play it. HA! :lol:

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:36 pm 
Spammer

Oh and a note about the cost of games... Ebay is the place to be. You can find bundles of 15-20 good games going for $60 US. But realistically in 2 months, you're only going to be playing CoD Modern Warfare 2 anyway. :twisted:

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:31 am 

Talon1977 wrote:
Oh and a note about the cost of games... Ebay is the place to be. You can find bundles of 15-20 good games going for $60 US. But realistically in 2 months, you're only going to be playing CoD Modern Warfare 2 anyway. :twisted:

Perhaps, but there is one thing that won't change for me.

FPS and RTS will never be good on console. For that I need mouse and keyboard.

Anyway I wanna mention something that happened to me this morning.
I was going through two auction sites, the danish and greenlandic equivalents of eBay and I found an old NES for sale the the greenlandic site.
My curiosity was peaked and I began seacing for old nes on the danish site. I searched and skipped all the wii stuff untill I saw one called "Lylat Wars" for N64. Lylat Wars is the european & australian version of Star Fox 64, which I played like crazy years ago.
I then seached wikipedia for it and read the articles... While I read I stumbled upon other N64 games on the auction site and read about those too...
But Star Fox 64 had the profound effect on me that I felt tears in my eyes when I realized that I have grown alot older, some twelve years in fact, and that I miss those carefree times alot now...

I'm in the middle of exams at the school and is pretty stressed out so I think that has something to do with it...

Anyway I'm dusting off my gamecube and borrowing "Star Fox: Assault" from my friend's younger brother and I'm gonna start some serious game therapy after school...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:17 am 
Spammer

Talon1977 wrote:

Are you going to be playing MW2 yourself tho? That is the question. (slight dig cause I haven't seen you on to play WaW with)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:41 pm 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
Talon1977 wrote:

Are you going to be playing MW2 yourself tho? That is the question. (slight dig cause I haven't seen you on to play WaW with)

Been there, done that. Hated it. I do NOT like WaW. Went back to CoD4. Been playin it here and there, in between WoW stints. And yes, I'll be purchasing MW2. Shotguns FTW!!!1!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:40 pm 

Well perhaps I don't need to get one of the new consoles...

I need a new PSU for my comp and a new graphicscard...

Luckily for me one of the graphicscards I have had eyes on for a while has dropped about 250 US$ to a mere 200 US$
A 500W PSU cost about 90-100 US$.

The graphics card I wanna buy is a ATI Radeon HD4870 w/ 1 gig of DDR3

Correction it is a ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4670 w/ 1 gig of DDR3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:14 pm 

This is a day for a sort of celebration.

I have purchased an Xbox 360 Elite (120 gigs) military appreciation edition with three games bundled plus the whole Band Hero package as part of the bargain.
300 US$. Then I found Star Wars Force Unleased (vanilla edition) in the sales binch for 20 bucks...

The other three games are Lego Batman and Pure. Left 4 Dead was bundled as part of military appreciation...

Guess what I am playing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 am 

EVerything above for the 360 I agree with. The online service is great. I use streaming Netflix through the XBox constantly. Another huge plus, for me, is the ability to connect the 360 to my home computer network. That allows me to load up Media Center on the TV to give guests limited access to only media files I choose, like music. Let's them play DJ at parties. I can also play my movies from my PC on the 360, which is great because I have 100's of movies on the PC. Hmm.. watch it on the 22 monitor at a desk, or on the couch up on 57" inches? Easy choice :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 am 

Azzameen85 wrote:

I have purchased an Xbox 360 Elite (120 gigs) military appreciation edition with three games bundled plus the whole Band Hero package as part of the bargain.
300 US$. Then I found Star Wars Force Unleased (vanilla edition) in the sales binch for 20 bucks...

The other three games are Lego Batman and Pure. Left 4 Dead was bundled as part of military appreciation...

Guess what I am playing

PM me your gamer tag. I've often got a friends only L4D game going :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:26 am 

Tetran wrote:
Azzameen85 wrote:

Guess what I am playing

PM me your gamer tag. I've often got a friends only L4D game going :)

Haven't hooked it up to the internet yet though I presume I will do tonight by around 8 PM (-4 GMT)
Currently working as a civilian contractor for USAF, which explains the L4D bundle...

But I was wondering whether or not we had a list of Avian 360 gamer tags somewhere on the forums...
Can't find it on the private forums.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:35 am 
Spammer

Funny thing about your OP Azz, a PC with those specs would only set you back about $500.00 US dollars today. Less if you get it on Sale.

As far as Cavin' in goes, we are planning on finally getting a console in the next 3 months as well. We will be getting a Wii, and unfortunately it will primarily be for Sports and Fitness, but that's a start....

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 am 

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Funny thing about your OP Azz, a PC with those specs would only set you back about $500.00 US dollars today. Less if you get it on Sale.

As far as Cavin' in goes, we are planning on finally getting a console in the next 3 months as well. We will be getting a Wii, and unfortunately it will primarily be for Sports and Fitness, but that's a start....

Those specs I set out were for a bugdet machine nine months ago... While still "respectable" yet the specs are already getting very obsolete...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 pm 

Just got Fable II premium pack on sale last night

Haven't played it yet, but found alot of good reviews on the net.

I don't wanna read any walkthroughs or boiled down tips on this and that, while risking spoilers so...

Any advice? What to expect? (I know the reviews, but I prefer seeing a normal humans opinion, not from a guy who plays games and talk about them for a living...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:49 pm 

Anywho I just picked up Star Wars: Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition, so I'm sitting with a vanilla SW:FU for an Xbox 360 (NTSC)

Anyone who wants it? I can mail it in a few days.

I'm not gonna pick the first and best, since I want everyone to have a chance to chime in, why they deserve it... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:55 pm 
Spammer

I liked Fable 2. The co-op mode was disappointing though. Nice mix of hand-to-hand, ranged, and magic combat styles.

I think it was overhyped, but still was a good time.

My advice would be to get into the real estate aspect of the game quickly. Can make some good money.

Oh and also, lesbian marriages are hot. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:40 pm 

BTW I discovered I lose less renovn by killing my wife myself outside town rather than divorcing her.
Alternatively I could just make her tag along untill I met some bandits that could kill her and lose no renovn at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:23 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Azzameen85 wrote:
BTW I discovered I lose less renovn by killing my wife myself outside town rather than divorcing her.
Alternatively I could just make her tag along untill I met some bandits that could kill her and lose no renovn at all.
This post in isolation is terribly disturbing! :P

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:58 pm 

X2-PB wrote:
Azzameen85 wrote:
This post in isolation is terribly disturbing! :P

Well aware of that. Chose the words very carefully :D

Try and say that among married men sitting in a bar... what do you think the response would be from the other patrons?

Oh!!! BTW! Post #1500