Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TV Series
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:19 am 
Site Admin

I work pretty long hours, 12 to 15 each day. By the time I walk to the galley and walk back to my CLU there is not much time left in the day. For night time entertainment I usually work on my personal budget, or if I really want to have fun I play a movie on my laptop.

I starting out watching movies at first, and still do to some extent, but I have grown to really love watching TV series. There is something about watching an episode or two each night that is very enjoyable. And there is also something about the waiting and the anticipation of watching a new episode each week as they air.

There is no TV here in Djibouti, so I get my TV fix by downloading shows. The problem is that I don’t get to see the network good show / new show hype. So after watching every episode of Battlestar Galactica, Lost, 24, Smallville, Heroes, and Weeds, I don’t know what series to watch next. I feel like going back and watching a good, long, and older series. But I also feel like watching something new.

What are you watching?
What else is out there that I am missing?
What do you recommend based on me liking the above shows?

Post subject: Re: TV Series
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

I just finished all three seasons on Dexter. Totally engrossing. I am also watching Dollhouse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:59 pm 

Dexter is def a winner. You can always try True Blood if you're wanting a grittier cable series. There's a season out on DVD and we're half way through the 2nd season now.

I couple good network comedies I really like are 30 Rock (Alec Baldwin is genius in this) and Better Off Ted. Netflix streaming has the 30 Rock seasons available now.

I was in a TV rut recently and was thinking about a great, older series to watch that I haven't seen in years... and V came to mind! I used to love that show as a kid, but wonder if nostalgia is making me remember it through rose-tinted glasses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:00 pm 
Spammer

I second the True Blood comment. My girlfriend introduced the show to me and I got hooked fast. Season 1 was good and I hear season 2 improves further. Waiting for her to get back in to town to watch the first 6 S2 episodes.

Have you watched the old Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (spinoff) series? I recently started watching them again. Hmmm, I must be on a vampire kick.

A buddy has raved about The Shield as well but I have not watched it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:35 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

House and Firefly!

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:59 pm 

Watch "Rescue Me", an FX series about NYC Firefighters.

Dennis Leary creates for the show and stars in it.

Do I need to say more? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:25 pm 

It's almost a sin to say this on the forums considering the history of Avian.

One of the Star Trek series. Lot's of episodes and the time will fly-by due to the often slightly slow but still quite entertaining story of the say.

Personal favorite is DS9. More focus on the characters less of life question, but you could almost skip half of the first season and still feel you know the characters...

*flees*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:58 pm 
Spammer

Recently I've been a big fan of older stuff that I watched growing up. Recently my wife and I have been Netflixing and watching:

1. Quantum Leap - really, absolutely amazing show. Great characters, great drama and plot lines, and tons of fun.
2. M*A*S*H - Always a classic
3. Friends - Great if you like it. Its been off the air for a while, but we just completed a full 10 season run on DVD.
4. That '70s Show - Again, great if you like that sort of thing.
5. Magnum P.I. - Generally entertaining if cheesy 80's investigative show.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:35 am 
Spammer

WKRP in Cincinnati.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:13 am 
Spammer

The Closer on TNT is one of my favorites, also Sons of Anarchy on FX season 2 of that starts in September.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:21 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
I work pretty long hours, 12 to 15 each day. By the time I walk to the galley and walk back to my CLU there is not much time left in the day. For night time entertainment I usually work on my personal budget, or if I really want to have fun I play a movie on my laptop.

I starting out watching movies at first, and still do to some extent, but I have grown to really love watching TV series. There is something about watching an episode or two each night that is very enjoyable. And there is also something about the waiting and the anticipation of watching a new episode each week as they air.

There is no TV here in Djibouti, so I get my TV fix by downloading shows. The problem is that I don’t get to see the network good show / new show hype. So after watching every episode of Battlestar Galactica, Lost, 24, Smallville, Heroes, and Weeds, I don’t know what series to watch next. I feel like going back and watching a good, long, and older series. But I also feel like watching something new.

What are you watching?
What else is out there that I am missing?
What do you recommend based on me liking the above shows?

Haha I do the same thing with Hulu/netflix.

Sanctuary found it on Netflix it has Amanda Tapping who played Sam Carter in SG1 - sci-fi organization that finds abnormal off-shoots of species...hard to describe...wiki it. By no means great but semi-enjoyable.

Leverage - Thieves turned good, helping the little guys against the big guys.

Dark Blue - only seen an episode or two (TNT's movie player sucks beyond all comprehension) Deep Cover Cops who blur the line between police work and criminal activity. Interesting show... Similar to the shield i guess...but this I actually enjoy.

30 Rock - very good comedy, I don''t like the Office which this is often compared to but I really like this show.

Merlin - New series about merlin and arthur growing up

Psych - if you don't know what this is shame on you...

Royal Pains - Doctor sitcom/drama/comedy...Doc gets blacklisted, brother takes him to the Hamptons to relax...doc starts making house calls...funny, witty, and great characters.

Bones - I have a man crush on David Boreanaz...but the show is awesome - forensics, detective, witty and charming show.

Legend of the Seeker - Sword of truth series comes to TV (great books)... great fantasy series just ended its first season.

Burn Notice - witty and charming spy gets blacklisted... helps out the little guys while trying to get back into the CIA.

In Plain Sight - stereotypical cop/US Marshall/witness protection show interesting but not overly original...enjoyable though and good use of supporting characters, back stories...that also hurt it by detracting from the basic premise.

Lie to Me - Hard to explain but basic detective series with the twist of using microexpressions and people trained to detect them. Lacks a real sense of connectivity of episodes leads to less character development then desired.

Life - Cop goes to jail, cop comes out very calm and budda like...and tries to piece together how/why he was framed. Offbeat and enjoyable. - I would watch this but outside of renting each dvd from each season from netflix don't know where to view.

Warehouse 13 - Secret Gov't organiztion that collects artifacts that have mystical abilities or were profoundly ahead of their time...mixes in some history, but overall your typical cop/partner relationships and sci-fi storyline.

BSG, Lost, Weeds, Heroes I have all tapped out (well except BSG slowly working on that one...). Kinda at a loss of ethical viewing mediums on these shows due to slow release of seasons..)

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:25 am 
Spammer

Dragon Fire wrote:
Bones - I have a man crush on David Boreanaz...but the show is awesome - forensics, detective, witty and charming show.

You and me both. Loved the show Angel, and love Bones. I can't decide if his partner in Bones is hot or not. A little too quircky for me I think but that's what makes the show so good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:04 pm 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
Dragon Fire wrote:

You and me both. Loved the show Angel, and love Bones. I can't decide if his partner in Bones is hot or not. A little too quircky for me I think but that's what makes the show so good.

She is very attractive personally and when they actually fix her up...wow...

Yea angel was always good, mainly due to David Boreanaz, the storylines and a lot of the character dynamics were stolen straight up from Buffy, but it was an excuse to get him more air time.

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:19 am 
Spammer

Big nods to a few of the shows I've seen mentioned here: Burn Notice, Leverage, Psych.

Plus a couple that I think are definites: Deadwood and Rome. Both are HBO shows and very well done.

Deadwood is potty-mouth central but it works very well and there are some awesome characters. Mr. Wu and Al Swearengen - a team that could take over the world if so inclined...

Rome - well, we all know the story but the beauty is in the telling.