Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 pm 
Spammer

I've been playing Silent Hunter 4, Wolves of the Pacific for a little bit, and I was wondering if anybody else has played it or any of the other SH games.

If so, I have some questions on tactics.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:08 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Talon1977 wrote:
If so, I have some questions on tactics.
Don't get spotted. If you get spotted, kill the enemy fast and don't get hit. If you get hit, don't sink. If you sink, game over man, bad luck! :P

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:14 pm 

Playing SH III...

What tactics?
Except for the obvious. If you spot a convoy, take out the ship with the depthcharges, then the ship with cannons. Then the rest of the ship.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:24 pm 

Just to be kind and probably saying what you already would know by now. I would like to give some tips and tactics for playing.

Since I play SH III there will be a number of differences, so before I venture out telling how and what you can do, I would like to ask a few questions.

1: Does the game have a feature where you can identify ships aswell as getting basic data of speed, draft, mast and such?

(Which is in SH III in the form of a little book when looking through the main periscope)

2: Is it possible to adjust manually the speed and depth of the torpedo(es)?

3: Is your version of the game (SH IV) patched up so you can use the deck cannon without having to compensate for the X-axis error?

(Where one of the three plane is off by approx 25 degrees, say when firering forward makes you overshoot extremely and firering aft make you shoot directly into the water. Firering left and right is the only viable option of a fair shot in an unpatched game)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:19 pm 
Spammer

Azzameen85 wrote:
Just to be kind and probably saying what you already would know by now. I would like to give some tips and tactics for playing.

Since I play SH III there will be a number of differences, so before I venture out telling how and what you can do, I would like to ask a few questions.

1: Does the game have a feature where you can identify ships aswell as getting basic data of speed, draft, mast and such?

(Which is in SH III in the form of a little book when looking through the main periscope)

Yes, it's the same I think.

2: Is it possible to adjust manually the speed and depth of the torpedo(es)?

I have no idea. If it's possible, then I've never done it and don't know how.

3: Is your version of the game (SH IV) patched up so you can use the deck cannon without having to compensate for the X-axis error?

(Where one of the three plane is off by approx 25 degrees, say when firering forward makes you overshoot extremely and firering aft make you shoot directly into the water. Firering left and right is the only viable option of a fair shot in an unpatched game)

I've never noticed it being off like that, and I think I recall a patch being installed, but not for sure.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:18 pm 

... the second question was actually the most important one...

Anywho... you could always go through the different "areas" of the sub (By pressing F1 through F12) untill you reach something that look like a chart/super zoomed map with alot of gauges.

Now... The stragety I'm gonna tell you is about sending the torpedo under the enemy ship and have it blow up below it instead of impacting it on the side. And the reason is that the damage model in SHII & SHIII is, that a ship is always weakest on the bottom and strogest on the sides. (Armored - although doesn't help much if you are firering more than one torpedo).

The reason you wanna fire under it instead of hitting it is because you can save ammo. In fact you can actually double your kills this way, because while you may sink a ship with two torpedoes, chances are higher that you can sink the same ship with one topedo by firering under it.

When you find an enemy ship and have it locked in, check the booklet (the one with the basic ship info). For basic players all you need is the draft (How deep the keel of the ship is).
Once you have that and lets say the depth of the keel is 15 ft. (or 5 meters) go into the chart I mentioned earlier - there has got to be one in the game...
In there you'll have to find a gauge that allows you to choose the depth of the torpedo. Chose 16-17 ft. (15.5 meter to 16 meters.) If you set if too deep, that is, more than 3 feet, you are gonna miss.
And the most important aspect, which is why I write it last.
SET THE TORPEDO TO MAGNETIC TRIGGER!
Usually you'll have two choises. Impact (I) and magnetic (M). And while impact is triggered by hitting the ship (although if it doesn't hit flat on it'll bounce off and sink and the ship is gonna be alerted) magnetic will make the torpedo explode if it is near a metallic object for short moment. If the torpedo hits the ship, while being set for magnetic it'll bounce off and chances are it won't explode because it wasn't near a metallic object long enough.

And if worst comes to worst. Learn to use the deck cannon. In SHIII it is possible to blow off the cannons on a ship aswell as the depthcharges. Blowing up the latter might even damage the ship enough to make it sink.

Now when using the cannon, you can ask the watch officer (the has to be an officer there, since enlisted and petty officers won't talk to you in the game) for the distance to the nearest enemy ship.
When zooming with the cannon you'll a distancemeter that tells you how far you are shooting depending on the angle of the cannon.
So if the officer tells you that the ship is 2800 meters (8400 feet) away you aim by the cannon set to 2850 meters (8550 feet) or 2900 meters (8700 feet). Boom it goes.
Remember though... is the ship is big or close enough, he might try to ram you. I remember blowing up the cannonn of a Flower Covette (pretty much a small trawler/fishing bot with a cannon) just to get sunk by being rammed.

There is more "touch and go" feel on the cannon than of the torpedoes, but nothing is more rewarding than sinking a fishing boat with a HE shell 8 km (5 miles) away.

Hope it help and feel free to ask more questions. (need to look busy at work)