Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Razer Naga feedback
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:33 pm 
Spammer

I can't really call this a truly comprehensive review but I thought I'd pass along what I've noticed in the few days I've used the Razer Naga.

I acquired this mouse through work. A company Fuji bought is developing a mouse-heavy application and are exploring the use of mice with not only multi, but many buttons. The Razer Naga boasts 17 programmable mouse buttons and is billed as an MMO mouse.

Setup was easy, very easy in fact. I plugged it in, Win7 recognized it and the Naga keymapping software installed flawlessly and quickly. Also, the Naga install program located my WoW directory and added a Naga mod. It is an actionbar replacement mod (conflicts with any other actionbar mods out there) that allows for on-the-fly remapping of keys. Slick, but ultimately not for me. One additional item about the Naga WoW mod: I subscribe to Curse premium and the Curse client noticed the additional mod, located it on the Curse site and updated it to the most current version of the mod. This software maintenance stuff is getting ridiculously easy. :)

For Setup, I give the Naga: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: / :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo:

Configuring the mouse in-game wasn't bad at all. If you've followed the Razer link above, you've probably noticed the pad of 12 buttons for your thumb. I started small and just made use of 6 of the buttons. This gave me 24 easily mapped buttons in-game (1-6, Shift+1-6, Ctrl+1-6, Alt+1-6) and that nicely covered the bulk of in-combat spells and actions I use in-game. I mapped spells and actions to them using Bartender as well as their own Naga mod and both were very easy to use and to manage. Out of the box, the 12 buttons correspond to 1 through = on the keyboard, a trait that makes it very easy for us to use in our work environment.

For in-application/game configuration, I give the Naga: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: / :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo:

Adapting to the mouse came pretty quickly and I was able to use the buttons in-game easily enough. As I mentioned above, I started out with basically 8 buttons to manage (thumbpad 1-6, l-click and r-click to manage) and quickly expanded that to 10. It was easy enough to get to the buttons and I mis-cast a spell only twice during my testing time. My issue with it, however, was the overall feel of the mouse in my hand. I tend to use my thumb and ring finger to move the mouse left and right, rather than simple pressure from my palm - IDK why, I just feel like I have a lot more control that way. So this presented a problem for me. I was patient with the awkward feeling, expecting I would adapt and use my palm for mouse movement, freeing my fingers for buttons. However, after 5 days of use (not heavy use - I just haven't had enough time for gaming) it still felt like I was giving up a large portion of my mouse control. I knew there would be nearly no way for me to play MW2 with this mouse. I probably shouldn't rate the mouse on this one as adaptability is more my responsibility but I'm going to basically indicate how easy it was for ME to get used to the feel of the mouse. The thumbpad was positioned as well as could be expected but losing my thumb for mouse movement really felt like it hampered mouse use. This is probably less a statement of this mouse in particular and more about mega-button mice.

For adaptability of the mouse, I give the Naga: :obo: :obo: / :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo:

The responsiveness of the mouse is excellent. It felt very precise, maybe even more precise than my (aging) Logitech G9. This may have been a part of why I had a problem adapting to the mouse - I felt clumsy trying to move this device that I knew to be very accurate and it still wasn't going where I wanted it to.

For responsiveness of the mouse, I give the Naga: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: / :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo:

The mouse does look very cool. As you can see in the link pics, it's a nice 'tech-device' black with a pulsing blue Razer logo (may be disabled) and blue lights for all the buttons. It would be cool if the light color were configurable but that's an extremely small thing and entirely based on taste.

For appearance of the mouse, I give the Naga: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: / :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo:

Overall, this is an excellent mouse, but I would recommend anyone considering it to be sure to buy it somewhere with a return policy. As I mentioned above, this is less about this mouse in particular and more about mice with many buttons.

I'm not going to buy this mouse and I will (for now) be returning to my tried and true Logitech G9...with 5 buttons.

I'm hoping to try this mouse sometime soon.

Post subject: Re: Razer Naga feedback
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:44 pm 

Love the rating system
:obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: / :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo: :obo:

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLERâ„¢ for online gamers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:51 pm 

thats too many obos for one post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Good review, Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:23 pm 

Hah! I give this item 5 out of 5 Obo's...funny.

I prefer... :yoda: :yoda: :yoda: :yoda: :yoda: / :yoda: :yoda: :yoda: :yoda: :yoda:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:43 am 
Spammer

Ravage wrote:
thats too many obos for one post.

For sure. :madobo: