Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did anyone buy Civ 5?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:10 pm 

If so, what were your thoughts on it?

Personally, I have never been disappointed in a Civ game until this one. I've been a die-hard Civ freak since the original game, but I'm having a hard time accepting this as a credible sequel. It's like it was developed for the console crowd.

The fact that multiplayer is so unfinished and unplayable, I haven't had a reason to go back to it in a month. I play almost exclusively on LAN games and that's been an excercise in futility with this release. The single player games just turn into combat, click next turn, combat, click next turn. There's no sense of empire building / development that the previous games gave you. Limited buildings, smaller tech-tree... I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:26 pm 
Spammer

I think it's one of the best releases yet. However, I'm not a big Multiplayer fan of Civ 5. I generally stick to single player mode.

Although I should note, with the previous versions the initial release didn't include Multiplayer until Civ IV, and even then you had to buy the Gold version. (and I may be wrong on Civ IV having Gold available at time of release, since I didn't buy it until 6 months after it was released) I think this just shows us why they should wait to release the Multiplayer version.

As for the Empire building aspect, I do see what you are saying there. I'm not sure how much they've added to the game with the 1st expansions in the past, since I've always bought whichever collection was available, however other people I know who always purchased the first release claim that the Tech tree is always slightly small at that point, and stuff is added later. No idea how accurate that is. I definitely find the game playable, however I'm not yet sure how replayable I will find it.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:38 pm 
Spammer

I'm a big fan of the series. I even enjoy the Xbox360 version with its more basic gameplay.

However, I've been on the fence about picking up Civ5, mostly b/c all the big 360 title launches lately. The new hex squares and non-unit stacking intrigue me as it should provide a much different style of play. I am a bit scared by the previous posts about the empire building aspects. That's what Civ is all about! Combat just tends to be a required part to defned against my space shuttle launch. Did they change any other non-conquering win conditions?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:40 pm 

I am a Civ addict and a member of CivAnon.

I have had the "one more turn sydrome" since Civ II and and 1997 or 1998.

Civ V has a lot of potential, buts its essentially still in beta IMHO. Compared to Civ IV, the AI is pretty stupid right now IMHO.

And Civ IV had full MP from the get go.

No PBEM, wtf? And the incompatibility of saves between those with Babylon, and those without was annoying as heck.

Its getting better and its not a bad game, its just not a good game yet IMHO.

Civ II, III, IV, I had One More Turn Syndrome really bad. I played CIV V casually for about two weeks, and then haven't touched it in a month, and I have no real urge to fire it up right now. The game just isn't holding me like it predecessors, and I never was really fond of Civ III. I haven't touched III since IV has been out, but to this day occassionally play some Civ II.

I hope its going to get better its just going to take time...........

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:08 am 

Angelus wrote:
I'm a big fan of the series. I even enjoy the Xbox360 version with its more basic gameplay.

However, I've been on the fence about picking up Civ5, mostly b/c all the big 360 title launches lately. The new hex squares and non-unit stacking intrigue me as it should provide a much different style of play. I am a bit scared by the previous posts about the empire building aspects. That's what Civ is all about! Combat just tends to be a required part to defned against my space shuttle launch. Did they change any other non-conquering win conditions?

The same win conditions are there, but there's no "meat" to the game regarding any condition that doesn't require your military to stomp on an often schizophrenic AI. The buildings for your cities have changed drastically. It can take 40 turns to build a theatre that will very well bankrupt you. You no longer build up your cities like you did before, but rather specialize them in an agonizingly slow build process choosing from a limited selection of buildings.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:09 am 

Aranarth wrote:
Civ II, III, IV, I had One More Turn Syndrome really bad. I played CIV V casually for about two weeks, and then haven't touched it in a month, and I have no real urge to fire it up right now. The game just isn't holding me like it predecessors, and I never was really fond of Civ III. I haven't touched III since IV has been out, but to this day occassionally play some Civ II.

I hope its going to get better its just going to take time...........

I'm back to Civ4. Civ5 shouldn't have been released in this state, nor allowed to be developed by someone who wanted nothing more than a prettier Panzer General remake.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:45 am 

Tetran wrote:

I'm back to Civ4. Civ5 shouldn't have been released in this state, nor allowed to be developed by someone who wanted nothing more than a prettier Panzer General remake.

Its kind of funny you mentioned the bolded part.

I kind of know the guy who is the Lead Developer. I Demo-gamed with him a lot before we went to work for Firaxis. And quite frankly he is an OK guy but I was never all that impressed with him TBH.

I thought that was very interesting when he took over for Soren.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:33 am 

Aranarth wrote:
Tetran wrote:

I kind of know the guy who is the Lead Developer. I Demo-gamed with him a lot before we went to work for Firaxis. And quite frankly he is an OK guy but I was never all that impressed with him TBH.

I think it's also due to the fact that there is an intentional dumbing down of games, in general, these days to appeal to the low hanging fruit. It angers me to an extent.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:58 am 

Tetran wrote:
Aranarth wrote:
Tetran wrote:

I think it's also due to the fact that there is an intentional dumbing down of games, in general, these days to appeal to the low hanging fruit. It angers me to an extent.

Me too but the cash unfortunately is in the ADHD crowd......................

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:02 am 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:

Bah I picked up the xbox version used, thank god and returned it within a week. It was too simplified for my liking.

I liked the city view in III and I wished the would have have kept that over to IV.

I still play civ every once in a while and its still addicting when I do fire up a game. Especially with the Civ gold addon for IV.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 am 
Spammer

The patch came out a little while ago, and thankfully didn't break the game. I haven't really noticed a difference yet myself, other than city-states suddenly becoming more talkative. I'm really disappointed though that the patch didn't speed up the Game Saves and Restores. These take an excruciatingly long time, even on a quad-core laptop with 4 gigs of RAM. Aargh!

Other than the Very long Load time, and Long-enough-to-be-annoying time between turns, this game is far superior to the previous versions in the Single-Player mode.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)