Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

I guess now is as good a time as any to start talking about new great gaming rigs.

Because I am deployed I need good laptop that is backpack/airport friendly. Some of these countries have strict weight restrictions, so I think I would like to make it as lite as possible. I am looking at the 14 to 15 inch display size. Money is almost no option, although I would like to keep the price/performance ratio reasonable.

Do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:30 pm 
Spammer

I built my own pc so not alot of experience with laptops. Alienware, falcon northwest, or the Dell xps line?

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:14 pm 

I play all my games on a Lenovo T410s right now, great laptop with a solid state drive but definately not a gaming laptop but cant complain at the price since it is my work laptop.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:19 am 
Site Admin

I have had my eye on both Alienware and XPS for a while.

Are Alienware laptops bulky? They look bulky to me but I honestly have no idea. I could have swore they had a 15inch model, but I don’t see that option anymore. I could be wrong but I think the current body styles have been out for a while…. I keep waiting on the release of a newer possibly sleeker body style. However if they are not as bulky as I fear then I guess I have no reason to wait.

One of my old work laptops is a low end XPS, and for the most part I like it. It has become my unofficial personal laptop, however it has an Arabic keyboard and I have a sneaky suspicion it is a Middle Eastern forgery. I bought my wife a semi-high end 15 inch XPS about a year ago and it is great. I looked into getting myself one but I am not completely convinced. I fear the day after I buy one they are going to come out with something better.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:28 pm 
Spammer

I think the Alienware line is very good, but you pay for it. I have an XPS desktop (for about 3 years now) and have really liked it. I feel XPS is a slightly less performance, but less expensive, Alienware. That being said, now that Dell acutually sells both lines, perhaps some of the components are leeching into each lines manufacturing.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:56 am 
Site Admin

I got an email last week from Dell about their new XPS 15z which is a much thinner XPS laptop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:59 am 

The main problem with the "Gamin Laptops" are that they are mainly overpriced...
Alienware and XPS cost alot more than a contemporary mainstream model, even from the same production company...

I would reccommend you take a look at ASUS N53 (link http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N53Jf/#specifications)

Good processor, decent graphics... light weight. 15.6"

I am only usings this one as an example, since I don't how the price range for Laptops are in the rest of the world (Greenland being notoriously expensive).
If you can find this laptop on your preferred vendor, try and compare it with a ASUS G-series laptop of same specs...

I'm sure you can find a Dell, non-XPS with same spec as the other to a much lower price.

Just my two cents...