Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

I saw this today and thought I should share it here:

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?as ... 788&sr=1-1

Audible wrote:
Star Wars: Heir to the Empire (20th Anniversary Edition): The Thrawn Trilogy, Book 1

Here is a special 20th anniversary edition of the number-one New York Times best-selling novel that reignited the entire Star Wars publishing phenomenon - featuring an Introduction and annotations from award-winning author Timothy Zahn, exclusive commentary from Lucasfilm and Del Rey Books, and a brand-new novella starring the ever-popular Grand Admiral Thrawn. The biggest event in the history of Star Wars books, Heir to the Empire follows the adventures of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia after they led the Rebel Alliance to victory in Star Wars: Episode VI, Return of the Jedi.

Five years after the Death Star was destroyed and Darth Vader and the Emperor were defeated, the galaxy is struggling to heal the wounds of war, Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting twins, and Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of new Jedi Knights.

But thousands of light-years away, the last of the Emperor’s warlords - the brilliant and deadly Grand Admiral Thrawn - has taken command of the shattered Imperial fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the New Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to create.

The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale - in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars.

This is the book that began the EU, and is one of my all time favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

awesome!
I loved that book, and series. I have a visceral memory every time I see that book because that was the book that I had in my cargo pocket when I was qualifying for pistols and shotguns in the Marine Corps. I would read the book in 5-7minute increments inbwteen firing sessions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:03 pm 

Very nice!!! Added to my wishlist... will be downloading it soon!

Rift/Gnarlwood: Nostro - Mage (Pyro/Necro/Chrolo - mancer) lvl 29
Rift/Gnarlwood: Stilgar - Cleric lvl 8

WoW days - Aegnor/Stilgar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:14 am 
Site Admin

I remember hearing about this book on the radio. It was the first book GL allowed to be written in the Star Wars Universe. I did not get it right away; it was a few years later when the second book was in paperback at the grocery store I worked at. Mopping the floors every day I saw the book sitting there. One day I picked it up one day and read the first few chapters with the captain and admiral executing an attack. I could not put it down, I was hooked. Years later I paid over a hundred dollars each for first edition hardbacks of the series.

I can’t believe it’s been 20 years!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:15 pm 

Actually "Splinter of a Mind Eye" was the first EU book.
But "Heir to the Empire" was the one that kickstarted the EU, by being more liberal in it's use of Star Wars lore...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:00 pm 
Spammer

Azzameen85 wrote:
Actually "Splinter of a Mind Eye" was the first EU book.
But "Heir to the Empire" was the one that kickstarted the EU, by being more liberal in it's use of Star Wars lore...

/agree

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:54 pm 
Spammer

Zahn is just a great author. He gets characters to feel just right. They feel so natural, whether they are in Star Wars books or others. His Star Wars characters feel like they were pulled straight from the movies. Their patterns of speach are the same, which is a really big deal that most people don't ever think about.

Plus, Zahn just writes great plots. His plots are essentially very simple, but he takes the simple plot and lets his characters run through it as if they were real. His Conqueror's Trilogy is amazing (basically three books about humanity and an alien race beating the hell out of each other over a misunderstang - each one peeling back the curtain a little further as to what is going on, with an epic climax that is fantastically exciting).

Getting him to write the SW books was a masterstroke by Lucas Publishing. Having him then get all the West End Games d6 SW RPG game delivered was another huge step in the right direction. He then went on to help develop a lot of stuff for the RPG, and it gave the books an excellent Star Wars-y feel.