Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 pm 
Spammer

My brother sent me some money for my birthday last month, and I finally decided to spend it on the Star Wars Blu-Rays. I've got quite a few nitpicks with it, but overall, if you aren't a purist, or extremely picky about things, the movies have never looked better. For the rest of you (and I know that is about everyone here), I'm going to confirm what most of you have no doubt suspected. GL is a g**d**n ****ing idiot and a lazy a** ba***rd. At this point, I'm pretty sure he's just trolling his customers to see how much shit they'll put up with and still keep buying his products.

If you are interested, there are lots of reviews all over the 'net about quality, changes, etc. You may read those for a more thorough analysis. For my opinion, if you've been holding back for a better release than the DVDs, which had a plethora of issues, then keep waiting. If you don't own them on DVD and have been wanting to watch them, and you don't mind the price tag, then pick them up.

The good: The picture quality and clarity is very good. The sound is really, really excellent. Han now shoots almost perfectly simultaneously with Greedo. That's progress, I guess. Some will like it, some won't, others won't care at all.

The cons: Lucasfilm did a lot of rah-rah crap on how they had fixed the color timing and brightness/contrast issues from the DVDs for the Blu-Rays. For the most part, it was a lot of rah-rah crap with no results. Color issues abound in all the original trilogy, and in all the same areas as before. A couple of shots that they used for their promotional material have been adjusted, but for the most part it still looks like the same as the DVDs. Almost all of the space battles are too blue-shifted, resulting in flat ship colors and really crappy explosions with too much green (yellow + blue = green). The whites often aren't, and the lightsabers are still atrocious. Luke's is generally better than Vaders, both in the green and the white, while Vader's lightsaber, both in Empire and Jedi changes colors constantly, even in the same shot! It is still a pinkish-magenta, although it does look like someone did a token effort to make the core of the lightsaber whiter. They just didn't fix the color issuses. Why, I have no idea. They've got time to make the Ewoks look really freaking creepy with the badly CGed eyelids, they'll screw up Vader's redemption with two terrible "No"s (the first one I thought was OK, and everyone made too much of a big deal about. Then a couple of seconds later, the second one. They'll make Obi-Wan's krayt call sound like a drunken frat boy farting and screaming in pain while tripping over something in the hall. Why won't they fix the freaking color of something so obvious as a red lightsaber? The deathstar explosion at the end of ANH is still in black and white, as is the Millenium Falcon going across the galaxy in the background at the end of Empire. Really? Really.

Episode 1 has had a lot of noise reduction applied, and in some instances it really shows. For the most part, however, unless you're looking for it or are super sensitive to that sort of thing, most people won't notice it.

The extras? Mostly stuff you've seen before, even though they claim it all has never been seen before. There were a few new things, but mostly it is stuff that you've never paid to see before. That doesn't mean you haven't seen it on youtube, or on a TV special, or at a convention, etc.

The menus of the discs themselves are garbage. Generic, non-Star-Wars-y, complicated to navigate, too long, and impossible to skip through. They really look like some defaults in someone's blu-ray authoring software. I've never seen such lame menus on any Blu-Ray release, and only worse on the really low-end $5 DVD releases that don't really have menus. Lazy cheap crap. The SW DVDs had much, much, much better menus.

The packaging is also garbage. 100% cardboard, not even any plastic. There are cardboard envelope sleeves for the discs. Not even a garbage spindle to keep the backs of the discs in good condition. The artwork on the container is also pretty much trash. They've got an entire universe of concept art, Ralph McQuarry paintings, production stills, etc. It seems like they surfed the net for the lowest quality SW art they could find and slapped it on the lowest quality packaging materials they could find. I'm sure they saved money. I don't see any reason why I should pay money for it.

There's a lot more that I could gripe about. I may later. My advice: Get them if you don't have any of the movies on DVD. Keep your laserdisc rips or the extra discs from the DVD release with the unaltered originals in VHS quality. If you have previous DVD sets, keep them for the actually decent production values and extras. Pirate the Blu-Rays if you need to. You probably don't need to waste your money if you were disappointed at all at the DVDs. If you hate the special editions, you'll triply hate these Blu-Rays. I don't think we're ever going to get a quality release of these films, and this is probably the best you'll ever get. Whether that is worth it to you or not is up to you.

Seriously, I'm considering returning mine to Amazon.

Summary:
Picture: C, due to colors and other issues.
Sound: A
Extras: D+
Packaging: F
Production Values: D-
Movies and changes: C-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:27 am 

Ouch...

Thx for the review.
I'll stick to my VHS version which was taped back in 1987, The VHS I bought in 1996, The special edition VHS 1997, The VHS of Episode I & II, The DVD of ep IV, V & VI, DVD's of Prequel., A Thai copy rip DVD of Ep. I (Which is more of a memento, since it sports Ep V pictues on the back), The comic(s), The novel (Printet 1977 and 1980 for ANh and ESB respectively), The Trilogy nocel collection (Three books in one), The Manga versions, the games for SNES and PC...

Did I miss any? Gotta check when I get home.

(Yes I have the unaltered versions of the original trilogy on VHS and a functioning VHS player. The only reason I actually keep it. A proper red Vader lightsaber and Han shot first!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:33 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

So the tl;dr version then: they're f****** s***?!

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:33 am 
Spammer

Well, I don't want to come across too strongly. They are basically better quality versions of the DVDs, combined with more stupid GL alterations. Nothing to get terribly excited about. Then add it the rest of the stupid stuff and poor execution, and they really aren't worth buying unless you need a copy to watch. They really are probably the best we're going to get. If they haven't fixed the crap by now, it isn't likely to ever get fixed.

But if you have any doubts, rent first before you buy. There isn't any reason to all of us to waste our money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:49 am 

Maybe they'll make more changes when the 3D Blu Ray set is released.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:16 am 
Spammer

My wife has told me, based on my reaction to these discs, that I'm no longer allowed to spend money on SW movie stuff, with the exception being SW:TOR. She'll "allow" that since GL isn't designing that game. She says she's done with me spending money and then being ticked off about the product I've spent money on, over and over and over again.

Yes, my friends, I am that guy. My name is Peter, and I'm a Star Wars addict. The worst part is, I don't even like it. I just keep doing it, trying to get my fix...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Cetera, of all the many forms of SW movie media I own, my favorite are the DVDs you made me of the OT from the laser disks... before GL made the first DVDs, before SWG.

BTW yesterday I got an email from best buy to register before I lost points with them. I did so, then clicked to see what points they were talking about. Looks like Danyale bought me the SW Blu-Ray... probably for Christmas. I will have to act surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:05 pm 
Spammer

I was looking at these a bit again. For the most part, the movies really do look amazing. I'm a nitpicker, and I get riled up about the little things. I do love the movies, I like a few of the special edition things, and there is no doubt that the picture clarity and sound quality of Blu-Ray is like nothing else.

I'm going to keep them, and see if they grow on me. But I do want everyone to know what you are getting, before you get them thinking these finally are the best editions. They aren't.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:34 pm 

Cyrus Rex wrote:
Cetera, of all the many forms of SW movie media I own, my favorite are the DVDs you made me of the OT from the laser disks... before GL made the first DVDs, before SWG.

He made me the same set, and they are still awesome. I have the custom DVD case art somewhere too, if I recall.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:25 am 
Site Admin

evergamer wrote:
Cyrus Rex wrote:

He made me the same set, and they are still awesome. I have the custom DVD case art somewhere too, if I recall.

The last time I was home my wife made me thin out a lot of my stuff and give it to goodwill. I gave away a truck load of printers, monitors, old computers, shirts, books, DVDs. While going through my office my wife wanted to get rid of Cetera's SW DVDs. When I said no she got all smart ass and pointed to the two VHS copies, and the DVD copies. I told her you can't read a book by its cover, and explained just how special these were… made years before the real DVDs, from Avian, from the untouched version of the movies, etc. I told her they were worth more than anything else in the whole house. To make the point stick put them on the mantle and said they had to stay there until I went back to Kuwait.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:57 am 
Spammer

Wow, nice. Thanks! My sloppy handwriting on your mantel. I appreciate it.

I still have my set. I think I made one for Rocklar too, and a few others, but I don't remember everyone now. The guys that made them did a fantastic job. Obviously the picture quality isn't fantastic, but they did their best with what they were working with. It is an anamorphic transfer with good menus and even hidden easter eggs on the discs. Lucasfilm needed to find out who made them and given them a job in management.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:44 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Cetera wrote:
I was looking at these a bit again. For the most part, the movies really do look amazing. I'm a nitpicker, and I get riled up about the little things. I do love the movies, I like a few of the special edition things, and there is no doubt that the picture clarity and sound quality of Blu-Ray is like nothing else.
To a certain extent, unless you literally rebuild the film from scratch (which I have absolutely no doubt that GL will do if he lives long enough for the technology to get there), you are still limited by the quality of the original film stock. There is going to come a time where the quality can't be improved unless you replace the actors with digital equivalents, for instance. I also suspect that some of the quirks you mentioned (such as lightsabers changing colour, which, incidentally, I've never noticed) get left in purely for the fact that they are curious quirks!

Furthermore, GL will likely never stop revising the films. His thoughts and ideas on certain aspects of the story will continue to change as he gets older and he'll want to change the films to reflect his thinking. Tolkien continued to make revisions to LotRs until the day his died; I'm sure that fact infuriated some of his fans!

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)