Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Some of you may have noticed that I stepped out of game for a few days. I had to study for my Project Management Institute (PMI) Risk Management Professional (RMP) exam. I failed it back in August, and my eligibility period was ending Jan 30th so I had to get going.

Last month I flew to Dubai for a week to go through a Project Management Professional (PMP) bootcamp. While taking that class I realized the reason I failed the first time was because they ask a ton of project management professional questions that were not related to risk. So I did a bunch of studying and practice tests for the PMP and passed the RMP exam yesterday.

Because my head is full PMP studying, I think I’ll try to take the PMP exam in the next week or so.

Its getting competitive in the work place, stuff like this helps keep me on top. Do any of you have or need the various PMI certifications? Does your line of work benefit from a different set of certifications? I would love to hear about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:08 am 
Spammer

My company looks for PMP's for our Project Managers, however all three of our current actual PM's were hired without the certification and we paid for them to receive it.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:48 pm 
Spammer

I would love to get a project management cert, but it seems like you need quite a bit of experience doing project management before they'll let you into the program. I don't have any, except for the informal stuff I do all the time trying to manage the company's projects that aren't managed well, if at all, and trying to get things on track. I feel I would be pretty good at it, and have relevant practical experience, but no official management experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:31 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

I'm working towards Chartered Engineer (CEng), which while wouldn't aid me progressing in my current organisation, would open a great many doors should I ever look for a new job. The CEng specification these days pretty much requires that the engineer is also a manager of some form.

My organisation also aids gaining recognition with the Association of Project Managers (APM) and it's possible to gain an APMP certification. I've never bothered because I'd rather be a low-paid engineer than a high-paid project manager. And the high-end politics is really rubbish!

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 am 
Site Admin

Cetera wrote:
I would love to get a project management cert, but it seems like you need quite a bit of experience doing project management before they'll let you into the program. I don't have any, except for the informal stuff I do all the time trying to manage the company's projects that aren't managed well, if at all, and trying to get things on track. I feel I would be pretty good at it, and have relevant practical experience, but no official management experience.

Cetera, you have 2 options with PMI. I will call them option A and option B

Option A requires:
1) four-year degree (bachelor’s or the global equivalent)
2) at least three years of project management experience
3) 4,500 hours leading and directing projects
4) 35 hours of project management education.

Option B requires:
1) A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent)
2) at least five years of project management experience
3) with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects
4) 35 hours of project management education

When it asks for three or five years project management experience it does not have to be as THE Project Manager. Initiating the project, planning the project, managing the cost, managing the schedule, executing the work, executing the procurement, managing/executing the quality, managing the risk, managing the human resources all count towards project management experience. I spent years as a project controls manager and a risk manager. That time counted towards my project management experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:05 pm 
Spammer

How do you document those hours/years of experience? I know I'm no where close, but I need to start thinking about that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:04 am 
Site Admin

There are several steps to the exam application process. The website saves your progress so you do not have to do it all at once. Below is my account of the steps.
    1) Your contact Info
    2) Attained Education (Degree and University info)
    3) Project Management Experience Overview
      a) Employer Details, Job title, Date started, Date ended, Company address, phone #, Contract name, relationship, email, phone number.
      b) Number of hours in the Following Domains: Initiating, Planning, Executing, controlling, closing
      c) Description of your job duties
    4) Project Management education
      a) List the classes you have attended. The following data is required for each class: Class title, start date, end date, contact hours pertaining to project management

Repeat step 3.a adding projects until you have documented enough years of experience. (3 or 5) The web form will tell you whether you need to add more projects or whether you have satisfied the requirement.

Repeat step 3.b adding projects until you have documented enough hours (4500 or 7500) You must claim some time in each domain in order to complete the application. Some project I had no time in the Initiation or planning domains, that’s no problem as long as I eventually claimed time in those domains on other projects.

Repeat step 4.a until you have documented enough education contact hours (35). Contact hours equal physical time spend pertaining to project management. Most exam prep classes give you the 35 hours required. In my case I used college classes. The class may have been hundreds of contact hours, but perhaps only a small fraction was devoted to project management. In my case I claimed that my college classes gave me 10 PM contact hours each. My major was construction management, a majority of my curriculum was about being a project manager so my classes counted. Not all majors have this benefit. It don’t hurt that I took a 35 hour exam prep boot camp that qualified me on its own.

I can PM you a pdf of my application.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:42 pm 
Spammer

That's OK. I don't need that now. How much was the bootcamp, and did you feel it was worth it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:39 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
Some of you may have noticed that I stepped out of game for a few days. I had to study for my Project Management Institute (PMI) Risk Management Professional (RMP) exam. I failed it back in August, and my eligibility period was ending Jan 30th so I had to get going.

Last month I flew to Dubai for a week to go through a Project Management Professional (PMP) bootcamp. While taking that class I realized the reason I failed the first time was because they ask a ton of project management professional questions that were not related to risk. So I did a bunch of studying and practice tests for the PMP and passed the RMP exam yesterday.

Because my head is full PMP studying, I think I’ll try to take the PMP exam in the next week or so.

Its getting competitive in the work place, stuff like this helps keep me on top. Do any of you have or need the various PMI certifications? Does your line of work benefit from a different set of certifications? I would love to hear about it.

Ummmm....congrats!!

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game