Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 pm 
Spammer

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/j-j-abr ... or-disney/

J. J. Abrams, of the new Star Trek reboot, and lens flairs everywhere, will direct Star Wars Episode VII.

I think this might actually work. He's a pretty good director overall. He's done a fantastic job with the Trek reboot, and I loved Super 8. He's an admitted fan of the movies, and I think he has the right mindset to make a good movie, darker than the prequels, with some excellent space combat. I don't know that the movie will be on par with Empire, but in my mind it now has the potential to be in the top three. He is unlikely to make a perfect Star Wars movie, but he will certainly do a good job, maybe even a great job.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:26 am 

Agree... though he needs to be kept on a leash...

My toes curled when I saw a lot of small mistakes in the Star Trek Canon...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 pm 
Spammer

I actually approved of most of the changes to Star Trek canon that he made. I generally thought they made more sense, and had a better emotional impact. Of course, I'm not a Trekker, so I could be missing others that really irritate fans and I'm blissfully unaware. I thought this reboot fixed about 90% of the stuff I really disliked about Star Trek and gave it a new lease on life where we could get some really great stories out of it.

For instance, I like the change to the origin of James T. Kirk's name. It makes some changes with parents/grandparents names and his inspirations, but it works better, and has a very strong emotional impact with me. The opening ten minutes of Star Trek always really get me, and as a single scene I thought was executed better than any other single scene in the history of cinema. It was stirring, emotional, heroic, sorrowful, and absolutely gripping. It allowed the rest of the movie to then have success.

The destruction of Vulcan solves huge problems that every Trek has been plagued with since the start, which is, where the hell are the Vulcans? They are the most prosperous, prolific, technologically advanced, and "wise" race in the Universe, and are actively keeping humanity back, tutoring them, developing them. Suddenly mankind just takes over and is the center of everything. There are a few Vulcans here and there involved in events, but largely the Vulcans just disappear. They take their ball and go home, and are minor bit players on the stage of the Federation and anywhere else. It makes no sense. Now there is actually a reason for them to be respected, to be great ambassadors, and not have their fingers in every pie because there aren't many left.

The Uhura/Spock romance I was OK with. This fixed a lot of the Vulcan problem with emotions too, making it very clear they have them, and the emotions are powerful, and Vulcans just work on ignoring them and focusing on logic. For me it made Spock more acceptable. I've always loved his character, but a lot of what he did didn't make sense without him having and acting on a lot of emotions that he wouldn't necessarily admit to. It also added some depth to Uhura's character, which I think was badly needed. Uhura was the original "token" black role, and while it was groundbreaking at the time, it is a glaring distraction now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Leonard Nimoy! I say no more!

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:02 pm 

Cetera wrote:
I actually approved of most of the changes to Star Trek canon that he made. I generally thought they made more sense, and had a better emotional impact. Of course, I'm not a Trekker, so I could be missing others that really irritate fans and I'm blissfully unaware. I thought this reboot fixed about 90% of the stuff I really disliked about Star Trek and gave it a new lease on life where we could get some really great stories out of it.

For instance, I like the change to the origin of James T. Kirk's name. It makes some changes with parents/grandparents names and his inspirations, but it works better, and has a very strong emotional impact with me. The opening ten minutes of Star Trek always really get me, and as a single scene I thought was executed better than any other single scene in the history of cinema. It was stirring, emotional, heroic, sorrowful, and absolutely gripping. It allowed the rest of the movie to then have success.

The destruction of Vulcan solves huge problems that every Trek has been plagued with since the start, which is, where the hell are the Vulcans? They are the most prosperous, prolific, technologically advanced, and "wise" race in the Universe, and are actively keeping humanity back, tutoring them, developing them. Suddenly mankind just takes over and is the center of everything. There are a few Vulcans here and there involved in events, but largely the Vulcans just disappear. They take their ball and go home, and are minor bit players on the stage of the Federation and anywhere else. It makes no sense. Now there is actually a reason for them to be respected, to be great ambassadors, and not have their fingers in every pie because there aren't many left.

The Uhura/Spock romance I was OK with. This fixed a lot of the Vulcan problem with emotions too, making it very clear they have them, and the emotions are powerful, and Vulcans just work on ignoring them and focusing on logic. For me it made Spock more acceptable. I've always loved his character, but a lot of what he did didn't make sense without him having and acting on a lot of emotions that he wouldn't necessarily admit to. It also added some depth to Uhura's character, which I think was badly needed. Uhura was the original "token" black role, and while it was groundbreaking at the time, it is a glaring distraction now.

No issues with story changes, nor the visual effects or the way it went. Kudos to the writers there and Abrams for the firection...

My annoyance was more the small visual details which have (in prime universe) a certain symbolism that were changed, not omitted... changed for the less introduced members of ST fans.
Symbols that the majority would nod at when recognized, but did not realize that the symbol had a deeper meaning.
Point being that all the small details, which a Trekker/Trekkie (like me) would love to see, had been altered losing their value, to show the masses "Yes, we thought of you."

Imagine if those small changes were the design of Luke's Lightsaber? A redesign of the M. Falcon. (If they are featured). Change in the lore of the Force. (To further simplify it is almost impossible... more how the "addition" from Ep. I is utilized.)...

There are tons of possibilities of small details that can be changed... And many critical details that can be omitted for the sake of appealing the masses...

Those are my fear.

But I know that it will be a spectacular movie...
I just fear that it will nag me with the small things...