All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star Wars Lawsuit
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:35 pm 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3095385.stm

Quote:
Star Wars video prompts lawsuit
A Canadian teenager has

Mr Raza was emulating the skills of Darth Maul
launched legal action against classmates who put a video of him online, saying that the publicity has left him mentally scarred.

Ghyslain Raza became known as the "Star Wars Kid" after a video of him using a golf ball retriever to emulate the light sabre slinging tricks of Darth Maul was posted on the net.

The video was hugely popular and some people even added effects to make the golf ball retriever look and sound like a light sabre.

But the public exposure of the clip proved a burden for Mr Raza, who has been through psychiatric care to cope with his unwanted publicity.

Cash call

The 15-year-old made the two minute video as part of a class project but probably never intended it to be seen by anyone else as it is not a flattering portrayal of his sabre-twirling skills.

The lawsuit filed last week alleges that four classmates of Mr Raza stole the video from the cupboard in which it was being stored, digitized the clip, posted it online and then invited people to view it and make insulting remarks.

Since the original was posted on the Kazaa file-sharing system, it has been downloaded and passed around to millions of people and Mr Raza's story has been featured in newspapers all over the world.

Now there are about 38 versions of the original video that add all kinds of effects to his stick twirling tricks or mock Mr Raza.

One site has started a petition to convince George Lucas to feature Ghyslain in the forthcoming Star Wars film.

The lawsuit says that Mr Raza has had to endure harassment and derision from his school mates and the general public because of the publicity that the clip received.

It also says that Mr Raza is undergoing psychiatric care to cope with the publicity and reaction.

Lawyers for Mr Raza are claiming compensation of 225,000 Canadian dollars (£100,000) from the four boys who allegedly stole the video and put it online.

The story about the lawsuit first appeared in Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper.

Department of Security

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:45 pm 
Spammer

there were some sites collecting money and giving it to that kid i though..anyways..it was a good laugh, but needing psychiatric care to cope...im guessing he had some issues before this whole thing...

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:55 pm 

It would be pretty damn embarrasing, and I've seen worse actors who get paid millions. But, psychiatric help? Did he not watch the video before showing it to class? He was askin' for it, but I don't think that excuse the kids who made his life hell for the time.

Weird lawsuit, but not as weird as the guy who put auto pilot (cruise control) on in his RV, went to make a sandwich, ran right into a cornfield, and sued (and won) the RV company...

Or the burglar who sued (and won) the homeowner who he was robbing because when he came in through a skylight he fell on a knife on the kitchen table..../sigh

EQII: Alazin, High Elf Wizard

Former Section 4 Director

"Please, if anyone were to play Obi-Wan it would be me, with the 'Luke, Luke save me' and the lightsabers going 'Vvvwiinnngg, vvwinggg, vvvWING!' -- Professor Frink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:10 pm 
Sock Puppet

This world is so kind and loving... not only to traumatize it's children but for it's children to take legal actions against the world in a sorry attempt to make all internal conflicts right with.. "Mr. Raza".

Official Avian Mascot - Sock Puppet
Board of Directors - Ex-Chairman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:00 pm 

I know this guy and have played video games with him for over 2 years now. He belongs to a guild called The Ancient Order, hard core PvP players on the server Bloodfin that started in AC1. He is a very nice guy and has suffered through a lot of ridicule from people he never knew.

He never intended this video to go public, not even to friends. But if it were me and I felt that way, I would have burnt the tape after the taping JUST TO MAKE SURE it was destroyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:55 pm 

i hate to be the bearer of bluntness...that kid needs to get over it.. "causing him to go into psychiatric care" wtf is that crap, if it was that popular and i made it i would be like Bad ass! even if kids made fun of me, wtf is this about psychiatric care thats BS he needs to suck up his tears and go on with life, thats just frickin lame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:12 pm 

People's mental state or thier mind's ability to handle a certain amount of stress is different from person to person. Because you "believe" you would be able to walk away from a incident like this with no mental trauma DOES NOT mean another person would be able to do the same thing under the same circumstances.

It is easy for us to sit on the side lines and tell people to get over things, but it is a whole different story to that individual.

I am a Biological Scientist (virologist) at the University of Florida. I have spent a number of my years promoting biologically based behaviors (specially when it came to sexual behaviors as in the acts of "first contact" all the way up to sex as being behaviors we express, but never learned to do...in other words, we just knew how to do them without having been taught to do them). But there was one flaw in my "promotion"............how much nurture played in ones behavior, that sexual behavior isn't just some biological "program" that everyone follows, but a mixture of instinct and nurture. In other words, we may have the instinctual feeling to do something / not to do something, but since we were taught NOT to do it / to do it, we don't do it / do it.

So, the analogy is that people are NOT all the same, you are totally different than someone else (combination between biology and nuture). What works for you may not even come close to working for another person. In the end, we should learn to not judge someone based on our own standards (even though this is a HIGHLY biologically based thing to do).

At age 15, it is rough. Sexual maturity and competition leads to significant stress in a 15 year old's mind. Remember when you were 15? What "other" people thought about you at this age was extremely important to your self image. I know it was to me. Him, knowing he acted so foolishly on tape and it getting out into the public where LOTS of people would view this act of foolishness, IS LOTS OF STRESS. The "WHOLE WORLD" has access to his foolish performance. I don't know about you, but that would stress the hell out of me and I am 33.

Sorry this is so long

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:23 am 
Site Admin

Very good, and interesting point Boti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:59 pm 
Spammer

/clap Boti

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo