All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Staw Wars Lawsuit
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:36 pm 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3095385.stm

Quote:
Star Wars video prompts lawsuit
A Canadian teenager has

Mr Raza was emulating the skills of Darth Maul
launched legal action against classmates who put a video of him online, saying that the publicity has left him mentally scarred.

Ghyslain Raza became known as the "Star Wars Kid" after a video of him using a golf ball retriever to emulate the light sabre slinging tricks of Darth Maul was posted on the net.

The video was hugely popular and some people even added effects to make the golf ball retriever look and sound like a light sabre.

But the public exposure of the clip proved a burden for Mr Raza, who has been through psychiatric care to cope with his unwanted publicity.

Cash call

The 15-year-old made the two minute video as part of a class project but probably never intended it to be seen by anyone else as it is not a flattering portrayal of his sabre-twirling skills.

The lawsuit filed last week alleges that four classmates of Mr Raza stole the video from the cupboard in which it was being stored, digitized the clip, posted it online and then invited people to view it and make insulting remarks.

Since the original was posted on the Kazaa file-sharing system, it has been downloaded and passed around to millions of people and Mr Raza's story has been featured in newspapers all over the world.

Now there are about 38 versions of the original video that add all kinds of effects to his stick twirling tricks or mock Mr Raza.

One site has started a petition to convince George Lucas to feature Ghyslain in the forthcoming Star Wars film.

The lawsuit says that Mr Raza has had to endure harassment and derision from his school mates and the general public because of the publicity that the clip received.

It also says that Mr Raza is undergoing psychiatric care to cope with the publicity and reaction.

Lawyers for Mr Raza are claiming compensation of 225,000 Canadian dollars (£100,000) from the four boys who allegedly stole the video and put it online.

The story about the lawsuit first appeared in Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper.

Department of Security

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:42 pm 

He deserves the money.

it was funny, but no one should have seen that to begin with...

*Medic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:51 pm 
Spammer

God, I think I am gonna sue that little kid that pointed at me and called me fat.

Lawsuits are COMPLETELY out of control. It is pathetic and sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:18 pm 

Quote:
One site has started a petition to convince George Lucas to feature Ghyslain in the forthcoming Star Wars film.

I wouldn't mind seeing him as a jedi in training, but if he is able to get in the movie he'll lose the suit. But you were in a Star Wars Movie that has to count for something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:46 pm 
Spammer

or bring him out to skywalker ranch and at least get him in the extras for the movies DVD version...im mean that would still be pretty kewl...

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Whats the exchange rate from Canadian to US?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:24 pm 

1:approx. 10,000

:)

*Medic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:48 pm 

225,000.00 Canada Dollars = 163,185.00 United States Dollars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Royur.

That seems like an awful lot to try to get out of kids for picking fun at someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:57 pm 

Ya but think of it like this, Sure you were picked on in school and it may have spread to a little around your community. Now multiply the number of people by a a few million. I can see how it would be embarassing to some, if it were me I would be out saying yes thats me, oh Jay Leno wants an interview; sure after I get done writting a detailed account of what I did (and go into great detail on what the heck that yellow thing on the floor really was) and sell it for some big $$. But thats just me. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:17 pm 
Spammer

That's what he does after winning the law suit, a la Paula Jones posing in Penthouse after accusing President Clinton that she was sexually harrassed and "raped."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:12 pm 

If you haven't seen the new remix versions:

http://www.jedimaster.net/

SWK 2.0 is my personal favorite. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:38 pm 
Spammer

I wonder if this would ever get to a courtroom. Then I wonder if the defence would play the film for the court. Then I wonder if anyone could keep a straight face. Now I wonder if I shouldn't shut up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:00 am 
Site Admin

I guess it was 7 years ago that I got in a bad wreck. To keep the incident off my record I went to a driving class. The instructor of the class was a chemical engineer for a local petrochemical plant, his company gave back to the community by doing community service, and thus he was teaching us.

He said when he moved to Louisiana from somewhere deep in the Midwest, he had to change his car insurance to reflect his new place of living. He could not believe the cost of insurance here in Louisiana. What we pay in one month is what he had to pay in six months out west.

He asked the insurance agent why it was so high, and the reply he got was that the culture here in the south is sue crazy. People sue for the smallest things, thus raising our insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thats really interesting Cyrus. But six times as much?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:14 pm 
Spammer

I moved from ND to NC nearly 8 years ago and I can confirm Cyrus' insurance rate difference! It's crazy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:27 pm 
Spammer

SC is just about as bad. Not because of the sue-craziness so much as the "nobody has it" problem. About two thirds of the population in SC does not have insurance, making you responsible for your own vehicle if you are involved in an accident, and therefore making your insurance company (if you have full coverage) liable to cover the damage to your vehicle, and so in-turn they jack up the premiums, which in turn makes more and more people say "forget it, I can't afford insurance."

Then that brings us to the fact that even less people have license plates on their cars here. Its insane. This is caused by the astronomically high property taxes on cars. For a new mid-sized car, you have to pay about $1000 a year extra for property taxes. For an 8 year old car, its about $300. To get a license plate, you have to pay property taxes. to pay property taxes, you have to have insurance. To get insurance, you have to have a drivers license. To get a drivers license, you have to have a car with a license plate to take to the drivers test. And round and round we go.

Needless to say, this is a screwed up place to be a motorist. Oh, and there's no inspections here either. I've seen vehicles held together by its own rust and duck tape going down the road. Its bad folks.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

SC insurance a higher cause they dont require Drivers Ed to get your permit. Atleast that was the rule 5 years ago when I was going through it.