Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VPNs?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:08 pm 

Hey everyone,

In my attempts to gather more infomation to change my school's network I was told about Virtual Private Networks. I know the are basicly remote access programs/setups that allow for a user off site to use the networks abilities to an extent but what I would like to know is there anyway that you know of to set up a VPN that has diffrent settings than the orgininal network?

I ask this becuase I think i might try to get people who want it on this VPN (if it works) and have then sign away their life to the school to allow them to have all the ports open. Mybe it will work but I need more info first.

Any help what-so-ever would be greatly appriciated!

Sorry i needed an attention getter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:58 pm 
Spammer

From my limited experience, a VPN can only establish a secure point-to-point connection across the internet. I use a VPN to connect to my company's network from home or a hotel when I'm on the road. Once I'm connected via VPN, I can access my shared corporate drives and email.

In any case, good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:28 pm 

Ok I spoke with a very good friend that knows some stuff. He said that theoreticly this setup would work.

Internet/Games-->--VPN with open ports->-Firewall-->--School's Network
| |
|______>_____Limited Access Ports_________>________|

Ok I hope that makes sense but let me explain. The VPN wil be set up with diffrent ports than the Original Network. The VPN will be sepreated from the Orginal Netwrok by a Firewall to protect the rest of the school as much as currently possible. The people on the Orinal network will not access the VPN but will go "around" it and access the internet normally.

I am not sure if this will work. I just dont know. But I am looking for advice, feedback or rants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:36 pm 
Spammer

Cool - lemme know how it ends up! Gotta always be learning new stuff or you start to die, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

As Rocklar says VPN is a point-to-point network that tunnels through the net. It's purpose is to allow remote clients connect to a configured server.

I'm not sure what you are trying to suggest, although I can imagine some ugly possibilities that I wouldn't mind messing around with at some stage. :P

If your net admin isn't going to allow the simple solution of allowing specific ports on specific IPs past the firewall, he's not going to allow a potential gaping hole that a rerouting (potentially misconfigured) VPN could give you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Still not sure what you are getting at with both the diagram and the description. :)
You sure you are talking about VPN?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:38 pm 

Yeah Obo,

The explation I got from my firend who isnt a master I guy but he does know some stuff said that IN THEORY a VPN could be set up to allow diffrent settings than the original network and allow some users to open up ports and such that wouldnt be open on the original server.

I have no idea if this will work so i am asking yall.

Also, I will restate what the situation is for clarifaction.

My school has closed ports and a firewall. The firewall and ports do not allow me to access certin gaem, namely SWG. I am trying to present a solution to the Admin so that we both can be happy. I know the main concern is protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:22 am 

The theory is:

Your problem atm:
SWG-playing-computer ---- firewall (blocks swg) ---- SWG-server

can be set up to:
SWG-playing-comp-with-vpn ----- firewall(vpn uses an allowed port) ---- external-comp-running-vpn ----- SWG-server

"*NOW* we're cooking"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:55 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Presumably you'd still need permission from the network people to set up a vpn and that would be less likely than them opening ports for you. (probably)

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:57 am 

As long as there are at least ONE port open, you don't actually need to ask anyone, ... though you need access to a computer that is outside the firewall.

The VPN can be set up to make your computer virtually a part of the external computer's network, so that while you are running the VPN you're "outside" the firewall. All traffic from your computer gets tunneled through the VPN to the external computer, and then goes out to the internet from that computer. All traffic on all ports on your machine will be rerouted through the VPN link. You can set up the VPN to run on any open port, including 21 (FTP), 80 (HTTP), 23 (Telnet), 22 (SSH); it really doesn't matter what port, as long as both your computer and the external one has set up the VPN software to run on the same port, and that the chosen port is open in the firewall.

If you can surf the net and know someone with a computer that can open port 80 for incoming traffic, then you can set this up.

"*NOW* we're cooking"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:17 am 

Ok Iwa,

Let me say this. I have a friend at PSU who has total and complete freedom when it comes to ports being open and suc. Are you saying that if he set up a VPN by him self with no Admin I would be able to connect to that VPN and use my friends network settings?

I doubt that is the case but I just might try that. Thanks again to everyone for the responces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:26 pm 

VPN software usually is composed of a server part and a client part.
You friend would set up the server part, with users and passwords and such (to protect himself) and you would set up the client to connect to his machine with the supplied username/password.

I've tried the evaluation version of WinGate. I ask a friend of mine if we could try it out, and we set up the server on his computer at port 80, and connected from my machine on port 80. Our goal was only to let my computer access his network, but there shouldn't be too much trouble to use the other machine as a gateway to the internet.

You may have to mess around with network routes and such, but there's probably tons of VPN software out there that can set most things up automatically. I can't tell you the exact procedure, but I know it is possible.

"*NOW* we're cooking"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

PSU is some university? So your friend is inside another big network. It's unlikely that he would be able to host a server running on port 80, or the like, for outside access then.

If he can run a server to the outside, then it may be possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:40 pm 

Thx Iwa, maybe I will try that if my friend is willing.

Obo, PSU is Penn State University

It is a large network but it is completly open and he can access any ports and such.

Iwa, is WinGate free? If it is then where can I get it?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:27 pm 

WinGate is not free, but you can at least try it for 30 days.

http://www.deerfield.com/download/wingate_vpn/

"*NOW* we're cooking"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
It is a large network but it is completly open and he can access any ports and such.

Open access getting out is a bit different than getting in. A lot of basic setups are to allow everything outgoing, but deny everything incoming.
Add NAT into the mix and that will complicate things.

You need to find out from him if he can run something like a web server that can be accessed from the outside. If not, it won't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:11 am 

Obo wrote:
You need to find out from him if he can run something like a web server that can be accessed from the outside. If not, it won't work.

Yes, I should have made that clear.

"*NOW* we're cooking"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:42 am 

Guesss I'll post this here since Fifel is already griping against stupid school networks!

The Tech Service Wonderboys at my school decided yesterday that the best way to stop the flow of virus traffice between the resident hall computers was to, TA DA, CUT OFF ALL TRAFFIC BETWEEN DORM ROOM COMPUTERS!! What a brilliant idea!!! /end sarcasm

So, now anyone who shares files over the LAN, can't.
People who were sharing printers over the LAN, can't.
I can't play Counterstrike or Warcraft III with my roomates anymore.
AIM is working for some people (I think they have off-campus servers) but for otheres they are incommunicado.

On the upside, they have opened up all that bandwidth for LAN to Internet connactions, so SWG runs better!

Kipp....shaking his angry fist.

O'Hara's Bar & Grill
"God invented liquor to prevent the Irish from ruling the world!" ~ Irish saying.
[img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:25 pm 

lol, that is quite a paradox! I dont understand what is up with some schools. What ever, good luck.