Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:31 am 

Hello, kind people in Avian.

This may have been discussed to death on the closed forums, but since I'm not yet a member, I wouldn't know.. (hint, hint ;))

I'm wondering about Avian's policy on item naming conventions.
I would guess that we'd want to express (up to) four different aspects of the item:
-The type of item, e.g. FWG5, Generic Crafting Tool.
-The Guild Name, "Avian".
-The person/company who crafted the item, e.g. Iobike, Emissive Technologies, etc.
-The Item Quality - quality rating and/or special properties on the item, e.g. Scoped, 14.54, 99.8%, etc.

I've talked to other Avian members in-game, and was suggested "<item> by Avian" and "<item> by <person/company>, an Avain Company".

Do we have a guild-wide policy of item naming? If not, we should!
We should have a set of rules regarding how items should be named, depending on how much information we want to put in the item name.

Best Regards,
Iobike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:52 am 

There are quite a few naming conventions:

For high quality goods, individual maker:
<schematic name> by Avian

For high quality goods, company produced
<schematic name> by <Company>, an Avian company

For ordinary stuff, not high quality, individual maker:
<schematic name> by maker

For ordinary stuff, not high quality, company produced
<schematic name> by <Company>

For items that do not decay, the naming convention is the same as for high quality goods.

when selling stuff on the bazaar, use the description area to market where your products can be found on a vendor, if you sell products on vendors, or let them know that they can email you orders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:38 pm 
Spammer

I like this applicant (naming Emissive Technologies :lol: )

Here's a standardthat I am thinking of implementing.

Arindel wrote:
I'm thinking of using the following naming conventions on my armor to try and explain as much as possible within the item name. Any and all feedback would be welcome

Emissive Compendium of Terms
Armor Code Key: Emissive <Segment Type> <Armor Type> <Location> <Special Resists/Effective Resists> <Additional Info>

Optionally I am thinking of putting in the Stat Requirements (do you think this would help or too much?)
<Health-Action-Mind> as ###-###-###

Detailed description:
Segment Type: RS - Regular Segment, AS - Advanced Segment
Armor Type: Mabari, Chitin, Tantel, Ubese, Padded, Composite
Location: LBi - Left Bicep, LBr - Left Bracer, RBi - Right Bicep, RBr - Right Bracer, Chest, Helm, Leg, Boot, Glove
Special Resists/Effective Resists: displayed as number/number
Additional Info:
Layers: KL - Kinetic Layer, EL - Energy Layer, HL - Heat Layer, BL - Blaster Layer, EL - Electrical Layer, SL - Stun Layer, AL - Acid LAyer, CL - Cold Layer
RH# - Reduced HAMM requirments , ED# - Extra Durability (where # represents the number of experimentation points used)

Samples:
Emissive {AS} Chitin LBi 51/16
Emissive {RS} Composite Helm 5/40 EL-RH3 (Electrical Layer and Reduced HAMM with 3 experimentation points)
Emissive {AS} Composite Chest 5/48-200/79/48 (200 Health - 79 Action - 48 Mind stats required)
Emissive {RS} Composite Boots 5/40-93/35/25 EL-BL-SL-RH4-ED3 (worst case scenario)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for bringing this topic back up actually. I think the BoD started on this, but forgot about it.

The example you gave is actually what I do.
Ribbed Shirt by Twin Moon Tailors, an Avian company

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:06 pm 

An established set of codes describing the item is a _very_ good idea.
However, the preferable solution here would be a Galaxy-wide set of codes, across all PA's, companies, planets, factions and players.

We should check the SWG boards for other such naming conventions projects, or if there are no good ones, start up our own. At least, we should make sure that our PA conventions are consistent, so that buyers can look at an Avian item and know how good it is! :)

But - the item name..
A big problem here, of course, is that the sorting is alphabetically, and the only field we really can control, and thus sort on, is the item name.

We have a number of choices here, but I suggest that we end up with (at least) these major choices:

1) To start the item name with the proper item type (the default item name).
2) To start the item name with the PA name, namely "Avian".

Starting the name with Avian would also be a good way to establish Avian as a "Brand Name".

Why I don't think it is a good idea to start the name with the company/manufacturer name:

When naming, I'd prefer that it's possible to sort by item type. It would be a pain to each time search through 20 or more different 'blocks' of prefixes to find the item that I want - on every page in the Bazaar:
{LeetItems} - Scout Blaster
{LeetItems} - Fab armor
{LeetItems} - Composite Boots
{LeeterItems} - CDEF Gun
@-->-- MightyRose equipment - Scout Blaster
Core Technologies - Best Music Instrument ever by K'yp!
Glorious Emmisive {AS} - Chitin Codpiece
GutsyGuns{tm} - über FWG5
GutsyGuns{tm} - SuchACoolGunThatICantBeBothered ToEvenMentionWhatTypeItIsInTheTitle
..Etc.

This makes it a pain in the buttocks to for example sort and compare the prices/quality on the different Scout Blasters. ..Or indeed check if there _are_ any scout blasters on the bazaar/vendor page! :?

I think that it would be a better idea to use the PA name instead of the Company/Manufacturer name. ..If we add clutter - make sure that we add as little clutter as possible.

But, we can stand a _bit_ of clutter, I guess, and as Avian hopefully will be manufacturing a large portion of the goods in SWG, that amount of cluttering could be acceptable, people would hopefully _want_ to sort on the name "Avian"... :D

Thus, I vote that we append text after the item name. If not, then I vote for that we put at the most the PA name before the item name, nothing more.

Just my two cents.. :)

Cheers, Arindel! ..You make the best armour, don't you? ;)

Regards,
Applicant, hopefully soon a member,
Iobike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:43 pm 
Spammer

While I agree with your idea that the company name shouldn't appear at the start of an item. The only time you will find my wares on the bazaar listing is when I decide to unload a failed craft (I typically leave it as is with a color code so it stands out).

Otherwise, you have to visit a vendor to gt my armor. Because Bewa has closed his shop, I have the only vendor where Emissive Armor is sold. So, it won't be a problem for sorting :P.

While Avian has/should have a good and solid reputation, I really want to run this business as its own entity (hence one of the reasond Avian is such an excellent Pa for me as it allows me the freedom to choose how I set up my business).

Other than that, I agree with most everything you said. And as far as the best armor goes. I probably make the best stuff in Avian (having recently achieved Master Armorsmith), but I have to beef up my resources in order to make the best stuff on chilastra.

To this end, I will start doing research to tweek the most out of system (I already have most of the information I need, but there are a couple ideas that I have an idea about). And with our members behind me, I am almost gaurenteed to have the best resources that Chilastra produces. I just need to figure out waht to ask for :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:26 pm 

Hi, Arindel ..But wouldn't it be a good idea that Emissive Technologies' products should have Avian in the name as well?

Thus, Emissive Technologies would also contribute to the Avian Brand... :)
..And shouldn't people _know_ that they are visiting an Emissive Technologies store the moment they are entering the store itself? ;)
Billboards!! :D

I guess my preferred generic naming convention would be
Avian - <item> - <stats> by <Company/Person>

By the way, do you guys have any macroes to set an item name when crafting?

I'd love to stop by your store to get a full set of armour. Umm - after buying a house, that is. :)

Cheers,
Iobike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
By the way, do you guys have any macroes to set an item name when crafting?
I sure haven't heard of one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:11 am 
Spammer

I don't have a macro set up, but I have a notepad open in windows that I ALT-TAB to to copy and paste whatever it is I'm crafting.

This works great, especially when you're adding color codes to colorize the names of your warez...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:44 am 
Spammer

As for adding color - HTML tags or something like the BBCode we see here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:02 am 
Spammer

\#FFOOFF\Yak's Shop of Loooove

Where the colors are just like 6-digit hexadecimal web colors:
- the first two alphanumeric characters are the red component
- the middle two alphanumeric characters are the green component
- the last two alphanumeric characters are the blue component

You can use hexadecimal numbers from 00 to FF:
00 Means 0 in decimal (the least that you can have)
09 Means 9 in decimal
0F Means 15 in decimal
10 Means 16 in decimal
88 Means 128 in decimal (the middle amount that you can have)
FF Means 255 in decimal (the maximum you can have)

So, FF00FF Is Purple -- The most possible Red, zero possible green and the most possible blue.

You can string as many of these together in one line as you want -- I think up until 255 characters in the name (though I haven't yet checked that). It works for House names, items, and droids. It shows up in the bazaar as colored text, which really makes it stand out.

Cool?