Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daern - Application
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:20 pm 

* What games do you currently enjoy playing the most?

My two main platforms are the PC and the Nintendo DS. The DS is being hailed as the casual gamer's system of choice, and a front line for the "casual gaming movement", apparently. Casual as the new hardcore? (There's my Dreamcast as well, but I only ever fire it up for the occasional fighter session -- Soul Calibur beat-downs.)

- New Super Mario Bros. (DS) : finished the main story, now clearing the coins
- Tetris DS : Multiplayer by WiFi, nuff said
- Half-Life 2: Episode One : finished, going back for the commentary tracks
- Guild Wars : just for kicks; it was my substitute drug when I kicked WoW last fall
- Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War : I just can't get over the unit animations!
- Doom 3. ... Well, I can't claim I'm enjoying Doom 3. It's too damn dark. I can never bring myself to finish it, thanks to all the squinting and eye strain.

* What style of gameplay do you generally prefer? PvP, PvE, Crafting, etc...?

If I had to choose one, PvE is where I'd place my marker. However, I like to mix things up in PvP from time to time (I have a geared-up level 29 Rogue on Wildhammer for intense WSG matches). I'm also a bit of a nut when it comes to crafting - my main has a comprehensive collection of Leatherworking patterns, and all secondary skills are at 300. Is "amusement" a style of gameplay? I play to amuse myself.

* What game genres do you find most enjoyable?

I used to love first person shooters until the hardware requirements to run them smoothly exceeded what I could reasonably afford to spend. The timing just happened to coincide with the relative decline of any truly great FPS experiences -- at least as far as my jaded gaming history is concerned. (Favorite weapon: Quake 2's Railgun.)
I dabble in real-time strategy, enjoy RPGs -- massively online or otherwise -- though Oblivion was a disappointment (global level scaling For The Snore; WoW has spoiled me), and just love 2- and 3-D fighters.
I dig puzzlers, stealth-action (Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid; where's Starcraft: Ghost?!), and simulators (flight, driving).

* What unreleased games are you currently following the progress of?

Off the top of my head: Warhammer Online, Hellgate: London, Tabula Rasa, the next episode of Half-Life 2, and The Burning Crusade expansion. Nintendo's Wii is also firmly in the periphery.
I'm a GamerDad (http://www.gamerdad.com/) who used to be hardcore and must now rely on others to bring the finest gaming experiences to my attention if I'm going to buy anything. I use Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/) as my main filter.

* What unreleased games do you plan on playing in the future?

Besides those listed above, there's Contact, Final Fantasy 3, and Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam for the DS.

* In the games that you currently play, what names do your characters go by?

Most of the time I stick with "Daern" as my character name, though in WoW I use Dernath and Deranon primarily.

Player Associations

* Have you previously been a part of any other Player Associations for any specific games or for gaming in general? Which ones were they, and why did you leave?

Back in the early days of WoW I joined a guild called Foreign Legion (another casual guild) which had members that also played Dark Age of Camelot and City of Heroes. I left only because the guild disbanded as its members moved on or refocused on other real life issues. (I then left WoW for nearly a year to focus on being a father for the first time.)

Before that, I used to run a Quake 2 clan named "Fierce!".

* With the exception of the ones you have joined (if any) what other Player Associations did you consider?

I had considered applying to the Phoenix Royal Guard before leaving WoW in order to see some of the end-game raid dungeons (purely for exploration, not for itemization -- I have no time to accumulate DKP) but they were full-up on Rogues and my time ran out.

* Have you read and do you understand the text of the official Avian Charter?

...The charter is blank. (I have a screenshot to prove it if need be.) I read "nothing", and I understood "nothing".
So uh, yes?

* Is there anything you would change or amend to the Charter?

I'd probably add an illustration of a skull. Skulls are cool. And maybe an inspirational quote like "YES, YOU SHOULD!". You know, something dramatic.

* Are you aware that a lot of Avian’s organization is conducted on the forum as opposed to in games themselves? How often do you see yourself regularly checking the forums if you are accepted into Avian

I am (now) aware of that. I'd check daily. Maybe even hourly. Did I mention my OCD?

* Please take a moment to tell us how you found Avian.

I came across Gudsvenn's post in the Dalaram Realm forum declaring an
open invitation for new members.
(http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... post188747)
The description (casual guild, end game alliances, stuffy spec replenishment healers [woops, speed reading]) seemed ideal to me, and though my main isn't on the most-desired-class list, I have a number of alts that could one day fit the bill. Oh, and I'd like 10% off of... whatever it is I'm purchasing. ... Where's the 'View Shopping Cart' icon?

* Please explain why you have chosen Avian and why Avian should choose you. What do you expect to get from your membership in Avian and what do you expect to offer?

Expectations? I expect the guild to rally around me for battle, especially when I've provoked the Horde by ganking members of their top tribes.

Just kidding.

Guild Channel: <silence>
Me: <tragi-comic theatrics | play-by-plays | once upon a time in Orgrimmar>
Guild Channel: LFG BRD/(U|L)BRS/STRAT/DM/SCHOLO
Me: I'm in! (omw)
Guild Channel: Anyone wanna help me (get keyed | craft item | twink toon | sneak around Horde capital cities).
Me: Sure thing. Be right there.
Guild Channel: PvP? BG?
Me: Woot! I'm on D!
Guild Channel: Ding!
Me: <fanfare!>
Guild Channel: Need folks to raid in heavily regimented fashion; 6+ hours a night, 2-4 nights a week for several months.
Me: /point <some toon with tier-1/2 epic gear>
Me: <sneak away to explore | grind for mats | tidy up bank>

I'm just trying to have a good time and enjoy the game and players during my brief sessions. With a full-time job and as a new dad, my hardcore days are behind me.

What can I offer? Well, besides crafting and running players through any instance they might need a hand with (I've developed a Tour Guide routine for the Deadmines, solo-farmed RFK on occasion for twinking, and enjoyed several stealth-only runs of LBRS as well as boss runs of the east wing in Dire Maul), I'm an active forum poster if there's a community to interact with (top poster, as Deranon, on the old Foreign Legion portal @ http://foreignlegion.guildportal.com/Gu ... bID=245101), and I'm obsessive collector of _stuff_ with a sizable mule-bank of odds'n'sods, and I'm relatively low maintenance -- Sometimes I prefer to just go off on my lonesome and grind furbolgs for faction.

Please ensure you have supplied a valid email address in your member profile

Done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 pm 
Spammer

Welcome...

You sound like A LOT of our members... we have several new dads and several OLD dads, hehe...

I think you will enjoy your game time with the rest of the Avian crew.

Someone will be along shortly to officially greet you, but I thought I would step in and say howdy.

Howdy.

Post subject: Thank ye kindly!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:35 am 

Howdy back at you, Mantison. Or is it just Manni? Man? Anyway.

Looking forward to meeting the rest of the guild in the near future. Are there trials or hazing rituals? Some sort of Guild Quest? (Poke Thrall in the Nose)

Also excited to see there are active threads in the forums. :D

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:29 pm 

Part of the guild's interaction is being active on the forum, especially since we are not all in the same game or servers.

Welcome to the boards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:30 pm 
Spammer

Daern

Thank you for applying to Avian Gamers. Your application is currently being reviewed by the Board of Directors. The application process can take anywhere from a day to 2 weeks or more. A lengthy process is no indication of a negative outcome, however the more you participate in the forums the more likely it is that your wait will be short. As soon as a decision has been made, you will be notified.

You are encouraged to participate in these forums, and interact with our members in game.

If you have any questions about Avian Gamers Network, or about Avian in a particular game, please feel free to post your questions in this thread.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:22 pm 

Thanks Cordalis.

Are the members of Avian's WoW wing spread evenly across multiple Realms, or are they largely concentrated on Dalaran? (I've noticed one or two members have characters on Maelstrom.)

Also, while digging through the quarters I did come across the Charter, read it, and understood it. (Though it appears to be very SWG centric. I haven't played SWG since the Beta.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:00 pm 

Daern wrote:
Thanks Cordalis.

Are the members of Avian's WoW wing spread evenly across multiple Realms, or are they largely concentrated on Dalaran? (I've noticed one or two members have characters on Maelstrom.)

Also, while digging through the quarters I did come across the Charter, read it, and understood it. (Though it appears to be very SWG centric. I haven't played SWG since the Beta.)

Mostly on Dalaran even though there is a nice group on Maelstrom as well....

as for the Charter, it needs to be updated.... we began as Avian Technology and Trade in Chilistra, after the Fall we relocated and branched out to WoW and other games.... we still yearn for the days when SWG was as we remember it.... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:26 pm 

Yes, the "Patch of SO.Evil" is a thing of legend in the MMO community, having traumatized a group of MMO players on an unprecented scale. (Except maybe for the cancelling of Sims Online. Ha ha, I kid!)

Are there any games in the upcoming batch of MMO offerings a signifcant portion of Avian members are looking forward to playing? Like Tabula Rasa or Warhammer Online?

Post subject: Deranon's Blog
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:02 pm 

In the interest of full disclosure, I offer an old character blog url:
http://foreignlegion.guildportal.com/Bl ... Blog=37401

I only hope you won't hold its nonsense against me. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:52 am 

Well, I'm not really sure where things were going with this application, but in the interim I joined a pug the other day and discovered that some of my old guild buddies were still playing (albeit with alts I didn't recognize), and in a guild of a different name. I've had a good time with the folks of Avian's WoW wing, and I hope to party with you again some time, but for now I'd like to rejoin them and catch up.

/wave and /salute, Avian.

If you ever need a reliable Rogue for DPS and dungeon tomfoolery, PST or in-game mail Dernath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:45 pm 
Spammer

Best of luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:24 am 
Spammer

[code]Daern,

Congratulations, your application has been accepted by the Board of Directors and you will be placed in Section 6.

As a new member you may wish to visit the Important Links for Every Member thread. It will greatly help you get caught up with the rest of Avian. Remember that some things at that link might be slightly out of date now they we have expanded into a multi-game Player Association. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me, or any of our members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:41 am 
Spammer

No preview = I fail :(