Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: D&D: Organisation thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:08 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Welcome folks!

We'll use this thread to commence organising some D&D play.

Roster:
Onto: DM
X2-PB: Gednan Malithanar - Human Wizard/Swordmage - Level 1

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:09 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

I'm going with the assumption that we'll try and play 4th ed. rules. So I suppose the first question is, what campaign setting do we want to use?

It shouldn't make a major difference to how we play, but just give everything a bit of background. WotC are also suggesting that any class/spell/thingywhatsit in any setting should be able to be used in any other (hence the reason I've stuck a possible swordmage up as my class). Personally, I rather like the Forgotten Realms setting, and the 4th ed. setting guide will be out by the time we've sorted ourselves out! Having said that, I'm open to what others want.

Also, if you have an idea of what sort of character you're likely/want to play, put a note of it down in a similar manner to mine in the opening post and I'll stick it up on the roster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:34 am 
Site Admin

Swordmage is going to be released in an upcoming book? Personally I tend to create worlds for my campaigns, although I'm not totally averse to using an established one. I hadn't planned to pick up any setting books or pre-written adventures, but I can look into it, or we can work stuff into a partially original setting.
I had vague ideas of a jungle crawl, ruins and stuff with almost no settlements, like trying to cross South America or something. Certainly not set in stone, though. I have previously run a Japanese-themed world with the 3.5 Oriental Adventures book, a world with really active dragons (there was another 3.5 book for Dragons), and a high-level evil campaign spanning the planes. For my first 4th adventure (running some time next week) I'm just doing a Northern European type setting, as it won't be that familiar to the Japanese people I am playing with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:50 am 
Spammer

For those Avian's who haven't actually played D&D before, here are some basic tips. This tends to hold true in most RPG's, but not all:
  • Usually, DM's only use Campaign settings for their resources, i.e. New Character classes, spells, maps, etc. You actually rarely see a DM using the adventures included. However, sometimes they do take the adventures included and use them as the basis for their game, changing much of the content.
  • If you want to use a Character Class, Spell, Magical item, etc., that is in a Campaign Setting, or somewhere else other than the main books of the edition you are playing, you should get the DM's permission first. Unless otherwise stated, using items from sources other than the main books is at the DM's discretion.
  • Don't bring a character you've been playing in a different DM's game to play here, unless otherwise noted by the DM. Generally a DM is going to want to have all players start off on a level playing field, i.e. the same level. DM's should post character requirements and special notes on the Character Generation, in their first couple of pre-game posts, giving all interested players a chance to pre-roll a character (if the DM allows it)
  • The beginning of a Campaign is the most tedious part for new D&D'ers. Theres a lot of information and preperation that needs to be done. Have patience and the real fun will begin soon.
  • The DM controls the game. Whatever He/She says goes. Consider each game as belonging to the DM. Even if something is explicitly spelled out in the rules, the DM still has the right to state that is not the case. If you have a Super Uber Sword of Destruction, and the DM says that it melts when you impale a Lesser Demon with it, the Sword is gone.
  • If you are unable to make a gaming session and your character was in the middle of something previously, expect something interesting to have occurred to him/her. Unfortunately, if your character was in the middle of something that needed to be resolved before your group can continue the DM needs to find a resolution. This is when DM's are at their best.
  • DM's have a tendancy to say things once, and if you don't catch it the first time you can expect to be surprised later.

Much of what is up there is to point out, sh*t happens. The DM has a lot of responsibility, and work to do, in order to run a game. Doing so over the internet makes it even more difficult. Listen to your DM and do what he needs you to do to move the game along. If you have specific goals or secret motivations for your character let the DM know. If he doesn't know ahead of time he may not allow it, but if he/she does know then he could help facilitate what you are trying to do. This is very necessary if you are playing a thief or assassin with alterior motives

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Gui, all good advice, although I'm pretty easy going as a DM and I doubt we will have too many problems.
I downloaded OpenRPG, not sure if it will be useful or not. I'm not inclined to learn some new image editor to draw appropriate maps and tokens, but I can't tell if that is necessary yet. I would prefer to use the official stuff just because it will probably look cooler and be easier to use for 4th edition, but it will also cost money, and it isn't out yet.

Although I would like to run an adventure every week, I think things will work out more like once or twice a month. Although being in Japan makes things a little weird, I actually generally have time open in the mornings, so I would be able to do US evenings. I think I'm currently 14 hours ahead of Eastern, and usually available until noon or so, the best days being Tuesday and Thursday. This would put me in the say 6-10PM Eastern time range, Monday and Wednesday, for US folks. Unfortunately I believe that is in the single digit AM range for X2. Things might be nearly impossible to coordinate over Japan, England, and US time zones, the best I can guess would be my late Saturday, X2's midday, and US morning, but if we have Pacific people I think that's 17 hours behind me.
I thought I would go ahead and bring this up now. It may be that the best solution is to find someone else who can DM and drop me out until I am in a reasonable time zone. I would be happy to assist in adventure development if this turns out to be the best option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:06 pm 
Spammer

Sorry about that Onto, I meant to include that the tips were not directly speaking to our current DM. I kinda wanted to set the stage though, as I know we are likely to have multiple people handling DM duties for different games.

I think you should probably just post the times you are available to DM now, and that way people will be able to decide if they are going to be able to make those sessions regularly or not.

I'm guessing I probably won't be able to make your sessions due to the timezone issue, but who knows, maybe I'll have to run a regular session as well for the Pacific Coasters.....

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:53 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Let's not give up before we've even started, there is always a way around any problem!

Now to address specifics.
Swordmage is a class that well come with the upcoming Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for 4th ed. I don't mind not using that, however, if we choose to just stick with a made up campaign. I'm happy just playing a wizard.

The D&D insider stuff looks interesting and I'll definitely be paying for a subscription (It's all currently free however, just need to register). I nice thing about the game table is that the plan is for a subscriber to have a number of guest passes so you won't need everyone to pay money in order to play.

Timings are going to be interesting. I'm certainly not going to be able to do any weekday early mornings unless I'm on holiday. We could initially trial a play-by-post system. It would mean things go somewhat slower but I'm sure we could get it to work. And then, on the odd occasion when most of us are able to get online at the same time we could have a live session.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Ok I will post times for Eastern Daylight, Japan doesn't have DST so these times will move back an hour in September.

Monday 8PM-11 or 12PM
Wednesday same, could possibly go later
Saturday 7AM-12AM, not every week
Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings are not out of the question but would almost certainly be once a month, since Sunday is my only day off and it is often busy.

I don't mind running small campaigns, but anything less than 3 players is a bit tough in terms of finding interesting but not overpowering challenges and having a balanced party. Level 1 Wizards, for example, pretty much die if a couple of goblins get into melee range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:07 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Onto Kracken wrote:
I don't mind running small campaigns, but anything less than 3 players is a bit tough in terms of finding interesting but not overpowering challenges and having a balanced party. Level 1 Wizards, for example, pretty much die if a couple of goblins get into melee range.
That is true, I personally would suggest at least four characters.