Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:25 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

I was born, thirty years ago, to Antare and Marie Malithanar. My father was a shoemaker at the time and my mother a seamstress. I grew up around the outskirts of the capital. We and no money to speak of and my mother would work for the friendly innkeeper to get us a room to stay in when the weather turned really bad. Otherwise my mother would take up rooms with whichever client she was working for and my father and I would make camp in the Forest. My parents struggled to compete in their trades with the city merchants. They worked hard and were very skilled; I am sure they could have earned a good living if they wanted to, but they didn't seem to mind. My father would even give the shoes away if he felt it was worthwhile. But I learned to live off the land.

I remember the Special Day. My father had been inspecting me keening when we were foraging during the day. My mother had been working for the Innkeeper and we had a room for a couple of nights. My father and I headed back to the Inn while it was still light and had an early dinner. He ensured that I went to bed to be well rested and he did the same. Some time later he woke me up; it was before dawn. He explained to me that the day before he had recognised the signs that "The Art", as he called it, had manifested in me.

He opened the backpack that he carried with him always, and brought out an old tome. "This is the family spellbook." He said. "Every generation of Malithanar has possessed The Art, though few have chosen to pursue it. But all had carried on the tradition of scribing spells into this book." He opened the tome and I saw the pages filled with indecipherable runes; some looked complicated, some looked simple. Finally, he got to the last few written pages. "These are mine." He said. "They are only cantrips. I never studied The Art that far." He picked a spell and together we studied it. Eventually, we were ready and I followed my fathers tutoring as we each cast the spell. The room illuminated with the light of our two spells. My first spell.

My father turn to a blank page in the tome. "This one is for you." He said and gave me a vial of ink and an inkpen. "Scribe the spell you have just cast in a way that makes sense to you. It will be different to mine as each casts the spell in their own way."

A few days later, we left the Inn and the capital behind. My father and mother had decided it was time to start a new life as a pioneer on the frontier border with the Stolen Lands. I now had my own spellbook. "Every Malithanar must make his own way in his study of The Art." My father had told me. My father taught me to track and hunt, though I possessed such a lack of skill with the short bow that he made me a crossbow instead. We made a good life for ourselves.

One day my father and I were out in the wilderness, and we came across a tree. It was an ordinary tree in all observable sense, but it called to me. There was a good, sturdy branch, just over five feet long that we cut and pruned together. As we worked, I, unknowingly, carved a patchwork of runes into this staff. "This is a special staff." My father said, when we had finished. "It is bonded to you and you to it. It will focus your energy when you cast. Take care of it."

The new start and the hard work of my parents has paid off with my father turning to carpentry some time ago. I made regular journeys into Restov with my horse to deliver the goods that they had made and to study The Art with a wizard there. This time, though, I can sense the journey I shall make will be a different one ...

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:26 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

PDF character sheet