Hmm, I'll try it. 67%  67%  [ 14 ]
/shrug Whatever. Do it, don't do it...I don't care. 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Probably not. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Hell, no! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: PvP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:34 pm 
Spammer

Whether you've beta tested WoW, played the ST or none of the above, sound off here on PvP action in WoW, specifically if you think you'll give it a shot.

Clearly there's more to WoW than PvP but since I'm not normally a PvP type guy but more than once during the ST I found myself having fun on a raid or defending against one, there must be something different about WoW's implementation of PvP.

I'll be doing PvP combat once I get out of the lowbie levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:46 pm 
Spammer

I never did any pvp'ing in the ST but I definitely want to try it at some point for the benefits it provides the players who do it. The biggest thrills I ever had in SWG was pvp though my Wookie got owned by just about everyone. Neeca once killed 3 rebs camping a player spawned Imp base he was grinding at. My heart was pounding during that fight.

I will mostly be concentrating on just experiencing everything I can quest and profession wise to start though.

My name is Tobias Smith and I approved this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

I am not into PvP mostly because it tends to be about building the flavor of the month. However in WoW it looks like PvP servers will have an additional level of content thanks to PvP. Some of my Human Warlock missions send me into Horde territory... on a PvP server I will have to tiptoe and be cautious, on the PvP server I will still have to watch my back, but odds are the Orcs I run into may not want to fight another player.

I think I will enjoy playing on a PvP server. The thought of defending a human city sounds like a good change of pace every once and a while for me. The thought of horde territory being extra dangerous sounds good to me.

I am open to all ideas, but I think I would really like for our guild to be on a PvP server. Blizzard has set it up where there are plenty of areas where PvP will be highly unlikely, so I do not see it as becoming a gank fest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:44 pm 
Spammer

I typically do not PvP, but I think i na game like this it may make some sense to give it a try.

The good thing is we should have the option to choose when we want to PvP.

I did Hardcode in D2 (and that did add an extra edge to the game that was fun eventhough it was frustrating at times).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:27 pm 
Spammer

I don't think it will be necessary to be on a PvP server to enjoy PvP. When you have a mission into enemy territory you are basically PvP'able at that point anyway, even on the PvE servers. I just like the idea of when I don't want to PvP I can just ignore it as long as I don't start or join any fights.

I will not be joining a PvP server unless the majority decides to do that.

I am thinking of starting my horde characters on one server and my alliance on a different server so I never have to kill my friends I play with on the other side.

What are the thoughts of suggesting a horde server and an alliance server for Avian's? It wouldn't be required, just suggested. Since you can't trade between characters of different Alliances anyway except under special circumstances I see little downside to having toons on different servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:24 pm 
Spammer

I've been thinking about this, and I think PvP may be the way to go on this game as well. The biggest reason for this is it is still very much zone oriented, so you can definitely avoid it if needed/desired. But being able to battle for control of zones sounds enormously fun, and it certainly does add that level of danger that was missing in SWG. Of course, if we decide to go PvE, I have no problems with that either.

And since everyone is going to be combat oriented, and the game isn't set to cater to a crafting only playstyle, it probably won't be as much of a problem for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:05 pm 

I plan to have at least one character on a PvP server... I think it will be fun, and would be in favor of Avian being on the server. Like Cetera said, the way the factions are separated and the zones laid out, I don't think it will hurt anything for us to go PvP.

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:25 am 
Spammer

Okay, I think I would agree with this approach (I should be a politician - I give my opinion on stuff I know little about).

In my mind, PvP in WoW is an aspect of the game that sets it apart from the competition, especially if done well.

Plus, I like the idea of a little danger that I purposely know I'm getting into. Now I don't like getting creamed in the Coronet Starport after a PvE mission where I've still got my TEF and I don't realize it (yeah, yeah it's my fault I forgot), but if I am an Ogre or Elf or whatever and I head to a land or zone that is part of the border region where I KNOW the enemy may be lurking...so be it.

For me, if all of the Avians that are going to play WoW opted for a no PvP server, I would view that as a negative. Not about you all or the game, but it would factor into the personal choice I'm making about sticking with SWG or trying either WoW or EQ2 (this makes sense if you read some of my other recent posts in other threads...I think) :P .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:17 am 
Spammer

dbakke wrote:
For me, if all of the Avians that are going to play WoW opted for a no PvP server, I would view that as a negative. Not about you all or the game, but it would factor into the personal choice I'm making about sticking with SWG or trying either WoW or EQ2 (this makes sense if you read some of my other recent posts in other threads...I think) :P .

I don't claim to have 100% understanding of the game since I only played for 10 days but there may be some misunderstanding of the PvE vs PvP servers. There is plenty of PvP on the PvE servers. Yes, that is correct. Anytime a horde comes into alliance territory on a PvE server, you may attack them and vice versa when you head into enemy territory. After you attack them they may also attack you. Plus there are the battlefields which I guarantee will be better than SWG's.

The only problem with the PvP servers for me personally is that there is really no avoiding it when you are not interested in doing it. You have that option on the PvE servers. There will be more griefing on the PvP servers as well and likely more L337 dudes.

Also if quality of PvP is entering into your decision making you won't be choosing EQ2 since it has none.

Quote:
What Are Battlegrounds?
Battlegrounds are special zones that are always flagged for PvP. They exist on both the PvP and normal servers, and are considered contested territory. Players on the PvP server will be familiar with contested territory, but for players on the normal servers, they will find it more dangerous because the moment they set foot in this zone, they can be attacked by the opposing side. However, there will be incentives for adventuring in these zones, including team-based goals for PvP.

For example, our first battleground, Alterac Valley, which is near the Alterac Mountains, is set up like any other zone. Inside, you'll find monsters, quests, a Horde town, and an Alliance town. The quests - which are more rewarding because you are in a PvP area - might be what lure you in, but as more players on your side arrive, you might get swept up in an attack on the enemy's town. If you manage to kill the commander there, their town will get razed, and your side will accumulate team honor points.

Something long-term we want to add to battlegrounds to make them even more fun are siege vehicles. We'll begin implementing them after WoW ships, but the intention is to give players catapults and other siege vehicles, and then increase the challenge when it comes to razing the opposing side's town. Once siege vehicles are in, the mechanism for conquering the other side will be to destroy their buildings and not just to kill their NPCs.

If for some reason you haven't read up on WoW PvP here's a link.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/pvp/pvp-article.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:38 am 
Spammer

I haven't done a lot of research Rho, thanks for the additional info. Given what you've posted I think a PvE server makes more sense for me because I incorrectly assumed it would have no PvP.

The quality of the PvP question comes into play for me because I haven't figured out for myself how much PvP matters to the one MMO I will play. I'm still trying to figure that out, but if it does matter then if it's done well that would be a significant factor in weighing which game I play (i.e. WoW or SWG). I did know that EQ2 had no PvP - I at least read that much of their FAQ 8) .

Thanks, again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:43 am 
Spammer

tobiasds wrote:
The only problem with the PvP servers for me personally is that there is really no avoiding it when you are not interested in doing it. You have that option on the PvE servers. There will be more griefing on the PvP servers as well and likely more L337 dudes.

Tobiasds, you reminded me of something I knew, but had kinda forgotten regarding PvP on PvE servers. The fact that it isn't forced up on you is a big plus. Further, the fact that the l337 d00ds will likely be drawn to the PvP servers makes it all just that much better; the overall IQ of the other servers will be just that much higher. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:29 pm 

Man, those battlegrounds sound awesome. And seige vehicles ?!!! That will be just like playing Warcraft... except you are the little guys and not the big clicking, dragging hand. It'd be cool if they added the ability for players to construct buildings and walls and other defense mechanisms in battlegrounds too.

The one thing I don't like about PvE is that you will be at a disadvantage when entering someone else's territory. They always get first shot, which can sometimes be crucial. I also envision a scenario where someone sees you and you see them but you can't attack them. They follow you around and call for their friends, you are outnumbered and outmatched and they kill you. On a PvP server you would be able to attack that one person before they could get help. I mean if you have the option to attack someone in your territory, you generally won't attack them unless you would have the upper hand.

You make a good point about the L337 suck bags, but I still vote for a PvP server due to the reason above.

Section 5
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

The Mole wrote:
The one thing I don't like about PvE is that you will be at a disadvantage when entering someone else's territory. They always get first shot, which can sometimes be crucial. I also envision a scenario where someone sees you and you see them but you can't attack them. They follow you around and call for their friends, you are outnumbered and outmatched and they kill you. On a PvP server you would be able to attack that one person before they could get help. I mean if you have the option to attack someone in your territory, you generally won't attack them unless you would have the upper hand.

You make a good point about the L337 suck bags, but I still vote for a PvP server due to the reason above.

The above statment is my feeling too. I want to be scared when I enter enemy territory, and I want that fear to increase with each step I take. If I want no fear, I play is safe areas.

PvE server is good if you do not want to ever PvP, but if you think you will get to PvP only when you want, the enemy will likely shadow you until they know they can own you... to me that is more grief, not less. I do not consider it grief for the horde to kill me if I am their enemy. I do consider it grief when players use protective rules to only fight me when they are assured a win.

Like the statement above, I would love to exist away from L337 suck bags, but I think the griefing will be worse in PvE because of the shadow tactics.

In the end I will go where the rest of you go!

Last edited by Cyrus Rex on Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:57 pm 
Spammer

Yeah, I'm starting to think "first shot > fewer 12 year olds," particularly since there always seems to be plenty of them everywhere. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:59 pm 
Spammer

TheMole wrote:

I am not that concerned about the first shot thing because I expect to be grouped most of the time when entering enemy territory. Besides what I did experience during the ST was that battles won't be decided in five seconds and 2 shots like they were a lot of the time in SWG. Plus since it is a PvE server I believe a lot of people will be concerning themselves with just that and not the random enemy players.

Regardless, I will start a character where everyone else is and I will restrict myself to the PvP servers during the Open Beta to give it a try. In my past experience though I have never enjoyed PvP as much as PvE.

BTW there are at least a couple here strongly in favor of being on a PvP server, why is there only one vote for gotta have it? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

I do not “gotta” have it. I liked PvE 99% of the time in past games.

I guess I know that even if the monsters don’t scare me, I know players will. I just want the option of real fear when I go in enemy territory. SWG was missing real fear for me, and I guess I am looking for a rebound. Kill on site scares me more than "maybe kill me", or "kill when ready". Death by foe on the PvP server does not bother me, even if I was not looking for a fight.

I guess I am still looking for that first good EQ high where the game made me afraid, where fear made exploring fun and challenging.

However like you guys say, the L337 guys will flock to the PvP server. I wish those guys were known for their RPing skills... sadly they are not. That is the only thing I see that makes me think about the PvE server... but the shadowing tarnishes the PvE server for me.

Again, no matter what my post says, I go where you go! I would love to hear all of your opinions... especially if you disagree. Sell it to me, because I am borderline. That is why I voted the way I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:59 pm 

/agree with Cyrus.

I don't have to have PvP, I just think this is the best conceptual implementation of PvP I have read about thus far, and this seems like the game to try it out, since it looks pretty fun and may play a big role. I need to start a char on the PvP Beta server to try it out for myself.

Anyhow, I want to get that real "danger" feeling just like Cyrus. And I want to be part of the Alliance v. Horde battle. Yeah, sure, PvE gives you that, but not really since the Es will be static and can repop whenever.

Thinking about it more, I realized that dying in WoW is not as big of a deal as in say, EQ, where you lose XP. You don't lose anything for dying, provided you can get back to your corpse. Maybe you lose some honor, but if you were truly outmatched you probably won't lose much. If someone comes into your territory and kills you then you'll probably have a short ghost run, so it's no big deal. If you're in foreign territory it won't be as easy since there won't be a friendly inn nearby. But if you're venturing into foreign territory, chances are you're looking for some PvP action anyhow, and the enemy will be able to attack you regardless of the server. So why not do PvP, where more people will be looking to get into some battles with you when you're in their territory, and they can't shadow you, and you can hit them first...

I'm gonna have to try this out for myself (if I can get a character up high enough to PvP before beta runs out). This is just what I'm thinking right now. If the majority of you guys want PvE, that's fine with me. I'm just having trouble seeing the disadvantages of a PvP server outweigh the advantages atm.

Section 5
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:46 pm 
Spammer

I think in open Beta we should split up and the guys who want PvP servers should do the PvE's and vice versa.

I want people to remember that while there aren't really zones like in EQ there are sections of the map on PvE servers that will be open PvP. Would these be enough to satisfy you?

I've already made most of my arguments for PvE and I'm really looking forward to some more of the arguments for PvP or against PvE.

TheMole wrote:
I'm just having trouble seeing the disadvantages of a PvP server outweigh the advantages atm.

I believe there are real PvP opportunities on the PvE. My concern is there is really no way to avoid PvP and only do PvE on the PvP servers if that is what you are into, either permanenlty or only if for a break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:16 pm 
Spammer

Thr only real danger I see in the PvP server is roving packs of L337 doodz. I imagine there may be the potential for a group of griefers to get together and the negative honor would probably be a bragging right to such individuals.

Now, if they make merchants react negatively towards dishonorable people then that might make a real difference. And they will more than likely pick Horde as their character so you could mitigate the risk by going Horde.

Otherwise, I agree that the real sense of danger would add the extra thrill to the game. If we find the PvP server is not to our liking we could always change. True we would lose the time spent on one character, but we all plan on trying more than one (more than likely). Mt vote is PvP first. Plus the economy might be more real there as PvP always add to the sense of must have the best gear (so low end items might have no bearing, but I recall there being level 12 PvP characters in D2).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:20 am 
Spammer

I played on the pvp server with my level 26 mage; it was fun for a while, until I kept on getting ganked by higher levels, and it became such a pain to do quests, and accomplish things that I just said screw it, hehe..

However, pvp has changed quite a bit since I last played it in WoW, so I know that things have gotten better. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:40 am 
Spammer

Arindel wrote:
the negative honor would probably be a bragging right to such individuals.

Now, if they make merchants react negatively towards dishonorable people then that might make a real difference.

I'm not so sure about NPC pricing based on honor, but I do know that negative honor can result in being attackable by either faction. Now, whether or not your own faction would do that will have to be determined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:46 am 

My take on the matter is this. It doesnt really matter which server we choose to me, I am mainly a PvE person but do want to try PvP a bit in WoW just to try it out, that and it sounds very interesting to me this time around. But... I can do this on either type of server so it isnt a make or break thing for me, the only thing that makes me want to go PvE is the leet kids and their inflated egos.

So PvP or PvE, my vote would be PvE but not with a resounding certainty. I guess I will have to hope I get into the open beta so I can try out a PvP server :), my client is already updated. hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:06 am 
Spammer

This may be a dumb question but isn't everyone getting in the open beta as long as they fill out the app on time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:08 am 
Spammer

Rocklar wrote:
Arindel wrote:

Now, if they make merchants react negatively towards dishonorable people then that might make a real difference.

I'm not so sure about NPC pricing based on honor, but I do know that negative honor can result in being attackable by either faction. Now, whether or not your own faction would do that will have to be determined.

Negative honor will also cause being barred by merchants who may have very very good loot. Loot the l337 doodz might actually want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:19 am 

tobiasds wrote:
Rocklar wrote:
Arindel wrote:

Negative honor will also cause being barred by merchants who may have very very good loot. Loot the l337 doodz might actually want.

They can always give someone else the money to buy items for them.

Section 5
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:54 am 
Site Admin

tobiasds wrote:
This may be a dumb question but isn't everyone getting in the open beta as long as they fill out the app on time?

I think so.

I am swamped in midterm tests ATM and cant keep up, so if they announce open beta, let me know... I missed the chance last time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:06 pm 
Spammer

Yeah, me too. I'm not sure my machine will handle it though. What's everybody running that's in right now? I could SWG ok, if that helps. Think it will be about the same?

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:50 pm 

Actually I think it is even less intensive than SWG, I always had some troubles with SWG on my laptop but is was usually playable if I nocked the display and performance down, but WoW I was getting hardly any lag or performace troubles at all in the stress test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:55 pm 

Beta System Requirements wrote:
8. System Requirements

===============================
The World of Warcraft beta test has the following requirements:

- Your computer will need a 56K or higher modem with an Internet connection.
- You must have a valid e-mail address.
Windows® System/OS:

- 800 Mhz or higher CPU.
- 256 Megabytes or more of RAM.
- GeForce 2 graphics card or better.
- 3 Gigabytes or more of available hard drive space.
- DirectX® 9.0 or above.
Mac® System/OS:

- 1.0 GHz or higher, G4 or G5 processor.
- 512 Megabytes RAM or higher. DDR RAM recommended.
- ATI or NVIDIA video hardware with 64 MB VRAM or more.
- 3 Gigabytes or more of available hard drive space.
- MacOS X 10.3 ("Panther") or better.

video card requirements

Section 5
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:29 pm 
Spammer

Yeah, it seems to be a much better coded game. I think one thing that helps with that is that the textures seem so much simpler than the ones in SWG. A large reason for that is the more cartoony appearance. My same buddy I mentioned earlier who was in the ST said that he had everything turned up, and it ran just fine. When he plays SWG, though, he'd get low framerates, have problems going into Cnet and those areas with lots of people, have to stand around and wait for it to load, etc. He said he does get a little slowdown when there are lots and lots of people in an area, but nothing like SWG. Everything runs much smoother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:39 pm 
Spammer

Great to hear!! I was getting like 1 frame per second a lot of times in SWG. That got old real quick. :lol:

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:47 pm 

There were times I could not enter CNet because it wouldnt load because of lag on my computer, it would freeze then lose connection. Only in CNet and Theed though and only when busy, other times I could walk around but the framerates sucked. When I started my first ST character which was a Nightelf Druid there must have been over 100 people in the same starting area at one time, and even though it slowed down alittle bit now and then, it was still definately playable. And once people started to spread out of the starting zone I had pretty much no lag problems at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:14 pm 

Also... load times are barely noticable, and there are very few zones to travel to that require loading... only ones I can think of are to and from the tram and when flying between continents.

Section 5
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:44 pm 
Spammer

So, it looks like we're headed for PvP, pending further info from the open beta?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Like I said in the other thread. I think I want PvP... but I am not finished listening to the PvE arguments. I would like to hear more reasons for PvE. So far none of them stack up for me, except the fewer L337 punks argument.

I think I will eventually have to try it out in beta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:42 am 
Spammer

TheMole wrote:
tobiasds wrote:
Rocklar wrote:
Arindel wrote:

They can always give someone else the money to buy items for them.

No they can't since almost all elite items are BoA - Bind on Acquire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:44 am 
Spammer

Cetera wrote:
So, it looks like we're headed for PvP, pending further info from the open beta?

I hope that's not been decided yet. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

After trying both servers out in beta, PvP seems to have too many negitive issues.

I am now infavor of PvE after trying them both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:20 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
After trying both servers out in beta, PvP seems to have too many negitive issues.

I am now infavor of PvE after trying them both.

Negative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

a or i
Should have used an a. Could you still read it?

If I need to spell check everything then I just assume quit wasting my time.