Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:36 pm 
Spammer

Introduction

My intent with this multi-post article will be to compare these two MMORPGs in relatively equivalent terms, meaning I will not compare today's version of SWG to todays version of WoW, but early Beta SWG to early Beta WoW, design SWG to design WoW, etc. In some cases, I will make blanket statement that may reflect today's situation of both games; I will do my best to clearly identify them. Since I was not in early Beta of SWG, I will draw on memory of conversations; I doubt many/any beta posts remain but will quote and link as many references as possible. I am not currently in WoW Beta but have viewed hundreds if not thousands of screenshots and dozens of movies. That said, I will draw on those images, posts in forums and other articles for my WoW source information. Developer/SOE/Blizzard posts will be enclosed with "**". Although I admit to currently being very dissatisfied with SWG and quite taken with WoW, it is not my intent to sling mud or hype; I will be as objective as possible.

Last edited by Rocklar on Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:37 pm 
Spammer

History or Game basis (pre-development)

The inspiration and foundation for many games can come from existing fiction, be it specific novels, movies or other games. Further, genres can serve as the foundation for games with the games themselves providing the background fiction to flesh out characters and the grand storyline.

In the case of Star Wars Galaxies, the content from which the developers were able to draw was phenomenal. Five movies, hundreds of novels, comics and toys (oh, ok...action figures), cartoon specials, graphic encyclopedias, a pen and paper game system (maybe even more than one) and an actual licensing company provided an ocean of content from which the developers and artists of SWG gathered the look of the game. They had plenty to look to for inspiration but anything that was not clearly shown, drawn or stated before had to go through that licensing company mentioned above. I can imagine that there were some incredible creations that were culled at that stage. Past the legal aspect of expanding the "continuity," SWG devs had a massive fanbase to answer to, possibly the largest in the world, possible the second largest (behind Lord of the Rings).

Comparitively, WoW developers had a much easier time in gaining approval of the content they created as they were the same people who created it in the first place. That meant that not only did they not have to acquire approval from any kind of licensing agency, but they were also more likely to create the look of the races and environments more similar to what fans expected.

The point to take from this section is the background from which the game is built will translate directly into a fanbase expectation. While the richer, more robust background of SW provided a huge resource for developers, it also set the fanbase expectations extremely high. WoW developers, while they may have had to create more new content, were already firmly in control of the expectations of the WarCraft fanbase through those very games.

Last edited by Rocklar on Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:38 pm 
Spammer

Graphics (current state comparison)

I'm including current state comparisons in this section as the overall graphical look of these two games will almost certainly not change significantly.

General/Environment
The style of art used in World of Warcraft was a little controversial and criticized by a few but currently is praised by many.
http://www.gamezone.com/gzreviews/p19235_02.htm wrote:
Graphically, this game has style and character and is lushly rendered. While other games may be pushing more realistic graphical elements, the developers at Blizzard stuck to the Warcraft style and with remarkable results. The dynamic lighting features, the animation, even environmental effects like the smokiness of the dwarven district (dwarves are engineers and build machines) are delightful treats for the eyes.

Personally, I find the WoW art style very enjoyable as it's not particularly dark, colors are very vivid and there is a wide variety in appearance for all of the areas I've viewed so far.

SWG has gone for a more realistic depiction of the SW world and, I think, achieved that for the most part. Most planets have very unique appearances, however, most cities on each planet tend to look pretty similar to each other. In the end, SWG is also quite beautiful, and possesses a definite Star Wars look. From Nabooian plains to Tattooine's Dune Sea to Dantooine's purple fields, the game is rich in graphical details and depth.

Player Characters
The SWG devs really showed us their brilliance and ability here. With options such as skin color and age and nose width and nose length and wookie fur pattern, there was no excuse for players to have cookie cutter characters. Character customization was a clear homerun for SWG and other games need to learn from the example set here.

WoW has significantly fewer options but allegedly with enough that you should not see your twin but once in a while. Character creation includes face, hair, facial hair, hair color at a minimum.

NPCs, Mobs
With the concept of different planets introduced, I was a little disappointed to see the same models used for a variety of different animals in SWG. Unique textures were used but identical models. This did not contribute to significantly diverse galaxy. The varied size and stats are a plus.

From what I've been exposed to, there is a wide variety of creatures you will face while in Azeroth. From hulking Guardians to skittering kobolds, mobs will represent essentially all of the foes faced throughout the WarCraft games and then some.

Graphics conclusion
Here we have an important first degree of separation of the two games. While WoW expanded on the "cartoony" look of the previous WarCraft games, SWG strove for "realism." Which is better? Not being a computer artist, I can't say for sure which style is easier to achieve, animate or publish. Personal experience with SWG shows that my framerates varied wildly on an Intel Pentium 4 at 2.0 GHz with 1 GB RAM and an ATI 9800 Pro (128 MB). They ranged from 29 (they appeared to be capped there, no idea why) all the way down to 1 on a fairly regular basis. Those lowest framerates would happen when I was in a busy town such as Coronet or Theed. I have not yet to find good framerate information on WoW but have requested it of betatesters. I do know, however, they while they are different, both are very appealing to look at. That means, for me, performance will be a deciding factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:02 pm 
Spammer

Nice stuff so far, Rocky. Nicely done. Keep giving us the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:35 pm 

Good comparisions

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLERâ„¢ for online gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:06 am 
Spammer

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm hoping to complete some more sections this week. I was busy lately with my LAN party plans.