Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WoW...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:11 am 
Spammer

A friend of my brothers gave my brother his beta account for WoW, because he doesn't wish to play it anymore, so it looks like I'll get to see the game first hand! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:08 am 
Spammer

sweet. give us the run-down once you've given it a go.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:23 pm 
Spammer

Tatata..Euro beta signups start the 5th, and I'm gonna create at least 10 or 20 accounts so maybe I'll have some keys for Avians :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:51 am 
Spammer

Phenomial...the game is absolutely phenomial. I've been playing for the past 7 hours, and it's just great! I made a Troll Shaman character; you know it took me forever to pick a character, and a name because it's just so damn hard being that I like all the races and classes. Well anyway, I got my character up to level 7, and did ALOT of quests. The one huge big difference I noticed in WoW when compared to SWG was the quest system. The quest system was great. When wanting a quest you'd go over to a npc with a exclamation point or whatever over his head and you would talk to him. The quest giver would tell you a story, then ask you if you choosed to accept the quest. What I found awesome was that it listed your reward at the botom of the story/description of the quest. So you you can basically choose which quests you want since you can see the rewards. I spent 2-3 hours killing these underwater sand crawler creatures, which was a huge bitch let me tell you...dying alot and all, to collect 4 crawler eye thingies, and 8 mucus bone thingies; by getting all of this stuff I got a 10 use potion that makes enemies imobile for 10 seconds, as well as 1 silver and 74-84 copper.

With SWG there really isn't a great quest system, and to tell you the truth it blows ass. With WoW, you get a great story/description, and you get to see your reward at the borrom. I haven't maxed out on quests yet, but I did get 5 at one time, so I'm assuming you can get a whole lot, which is another plus. I really do love this quest system with WoW. Even though
WoW doesn't have the sophisticated character creation like SWG does, it makes up for it in every other way. WoW graphics are artistry, it's a different type of graphic, it's hand drawn, it's awesome, its fantastic....it's not cgi crap, or generated really...I love artistry graphics. The game has some bugs, but amazingly it's pretty stable. I only got disconnected once during my seven hours of gameplay. Everybody was really nice too, and helped me out alot. I basically did every single quest I could do in my starting area, which was a good 10, (10's just a gues because I forgot), and then I moved on to a small troll tribe encampment with more. There must be at least 5 or more quests per npc, and there are ALOT Of npc's. There could be easily 20 quests in a SMALL area. I mostly played in the newbie areas, but tomorrow I plan on venturing into the much bigger zones and cities.

Overall, WoW is fantastic, and if you've played Diablo 1 or 2, or Baldurs Gate, or any of the Warcraft games, then I'm sure you'll love this game. Eventually I'll try the tradeskills, and crafting aspect of the game, and I'll write some of that.

Now, I'm sorry for the excess of commas, the misspellings, and bad word usages...It's 4:45 a.m. in the morning, I'm tired...time to goto bed.

If anybody has any questions please feel free to ask me...I wonder how the quest system in SWG will be revamped.....hopefully better hehe..

Since there's no NDA on the game anymore, right? I'll post some screenshots of some quests, if you'd like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:26 am 
Spammer

All the quests, or at least most of them, seem to be in the mini towns, or encampments. The big cities are awesome though. I went to Ogrimar, the main city for the orcs, and it's just HUGE! There's so many trainers, and shops where you can buy things. You can take a ride on a mount to go to other parts of the continent as well. Lucky I found a map off of http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/ which helped my navigate the long city correctly. :P I'm level 10 now, and the game is still alot of fun. The overall size of everything was very well designed. Buildings are bigger than people and trees, trees are bigger the people...you know that sort of thing. It takes a while to walk to places though, but its not that long. Still, it will be much better for when I'm able to get a mount, instead of paying to take a flying mount from one point to another. I've just gotten into the Barrens area, and there are alot of long and harder quests. It seems to me that every area I enter is a bit harder, and its quests are a bit more challenging, and longer, but also offer way better loot/items.

In tems of graphical lag, or lag in general, I basically get none. I have all my settings turned up to the highest, and I rarley never graphically lag. My FPS is pretty solid, can't remember its numbers though. With a 2.8 gigahertz, 512 ram, and a GeForce Ti-4400 128 mb, WoW runs great! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:44 pm 
Spammer

Lag doesn't happen as often in Beta (even open Beta) :roll:

But keep the reports coming because I would like to hear more about the game. I've heard alot of negative things, so it will be nice to hear some positives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:42 am 
Spammer

Arindel wrote:
I've heard alot of negative things, so it will be nice to hear some positives.

:?: Really? What negatives have you heard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:33 pm 
Spammer

Ask me some questions, and I will definitely answer them!

The only negative parts I've witnissed thus far has been the occasional crash, or server going down, which of course is to be expected with any beta. Out of 10-15 hours of playing on one day, I may crash 2-3 times, and the server may go down once. It's been pretty good lately though.

I've just recently started experimenting with trade skills. I got the Alchemy tradeskill to make potions, Enchanting to enchant armor and items, and I also got Herbalism which is used to find herbs. Alchemy is pretty simple, just gather the materials you need and craft potions that heal health, mana, or give you armor, or do other things. There are several forms of Alchemy, as well as for every other tradeskill. I forget the names, but it goes up like Alchemy 1 2 3, etc. Enchanting is simple too, get the materials, and enchant items to either make them have permanent attributes, or temporaily. With Herbalism you just use a find herbs skill, that makes herbs pop up on your mini map as little yellow dots for three minutes. You just walk over to one, right click, and you start to gather the Herb. You may fail a couple of times, but eventually you'll get it. With trade skills you can get up to a usage of 75 or 100. Currently my Herbalism skill is at 14/75. As you go up, you get to collect more herbs. At 15/75 I'll be able to gather snakeroot, and at 20/75 I'll be able to gather something else. You raise this number by collecting herbs. If I collect 10 herbs, I may go from 14 to 25. This works for every other trade skill too. The more you enchant, or the more you make potions, the higher your trade skill goes up in points. I think you gain 1-2 points every time you enchant, gather herbs, or make a potion, etc.

Right now I'm 14/75 Herbalism, 4/75 Enchanting, and 5/75 Alchemy. Some skills go up to 100 points, but the ones I have now are 75.

If any of this is confusing to you, please ask don't hesitate to ask me questions.

I experimented with fishing which was really easy and cool. Basically, you buy and equip a fishing pole, go over to some water, click the fishing icon skill, and you throw your fishing line into the water. An approx. 60 second fishing timer pops up, and you fish until you see your little hook thingy bob up and down in the water, then you right click, and you get a fish. Sometimes when you right click on the hook to get a fish, the fish gets away, so you just try again. It's pretty easy though. The fish you get does things like heal mana, health, and I'm sure lots of other things. I've only fished a little but so I haven't actually seen more of it.

I haven't done any mining yet, but I've found plenty of mines. You can actually mine physically which is neat. You find mines, or go underwater, or check on mountains and you can find little copper or resource deposits. You just use a pick axe to mine it. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure you have to take it to a blacksmith, or use the blacksmith skill to refine what you mine so that you can use it as cash or something. It may need to be refined 2-3 times before you can use it as money, but I'm not sure as I haven't actually tried it yet; I've only seen it done..

WoW crafting doesn't appear to be as sophisticated as SWG, and I don't think it ever will be, but its easy, and its alot of fun. You could definitely make ALOT of money and get rich off of mining resources, like people do in SWG. There's a trade chat you can speak over which is useful when selling resources, and items, which is cool.

Allright, I've got to run out now and do a couple of errands. Please ask me questions if any of you are confused. :P Adios! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:51 pm 
Spammer

Good info Locke!

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:25 pm 

yeah! good to hear more stuff live from a player, and not those boring ass reviews. It does sound like it's a lot more of a game then the "real-life" feel that SWG seems to have for me. I feel like i'm running a business in SWG, and it's quite stressful, although I love making stuff, If I join another game, I think I'll take the combat way for awhile...as it seems to be FAR less "real-work". 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:31 am 
Spammer

It truly is fun. The crafting is fun too, its just a bit expensive training new skills and it takes a bit to get good in them. As you progress your skill level raises. I'm currently 50/75 in engineering. I got there by making engineering parts. When I have more money I'll get a more advanced engineering level to make stuff faster. There are a TON of recipes you can learn for each tradeskill. Today I just learned the dynamite and bomb recipie from a dwarf in the dwarven district of the human city Stormwind. It'l take me a while before I can make some really cool stuff, but the crafting aspect of the game is alot of fun even though it's alot less simpliar than SWG.

Yeah Cordalis, the combat aspect of WoW truly is fun. I actually do feel like I'm in a medieval type world....the developers of WoW truly did a great job in the scenery, ambience, music, sounds, etc. When I visit the taverns, the tavern music makes me want to dance and drink some beer hehe....with that old fire place going, and those wooden tables and chairs...and the butcher in the back cutting up food. It's like being at Medieval Times if any of you have ever done that as a kid. Playing WoW makes me want to stay in a Medieval type setting forever....though I don't think I could live without toilet paper. :P :D

Last edited by Locke_Trinmin on Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:55 am 
Spammer

Locke_Trinmin wrote:
though I do't think I could live without toilet paper. :P :D

Isn't that what gnomes are for?

/me shouldn't really make that comment as I kind of want to play a gnome...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:08 am 
Spammer

That's great news so far. Could you give us a description/narrative of one of your adventures?

When's this game due out? Have they given any hints? CoH is fun enough, but I need something a bit more substantial to fill my belly.

Keep it coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:51 pm 

Locke_Trinmin wrote:
It's like being at Medieval Times if any of you have ever done that as a kid.

I worked there (Medieval Times) for 2 1/2 years as a Royal Trumpeteer ( yeah on stage with the king and queen, and yes really playing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:20 pm 
Spammer

Excellent stuff Locke ! I'm creating more and more accounts for the Euro beta...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:32 pm 
Spammer

How can you make more and more accounts? Do you have lots of address Flyoc?

-Yeah Arindel when I'm not too tired, I'll write one down for you.

They haven't really hinted at anything with the release date yet, but since it's Blizzard, it's probably going to be delayed. I'm hoping it'l be out at least by or for Christmas. :P If it comes out alot earlier then I'll be extremely happy!

I'll probably either be ending up playing a Gnome hunter who has a high engineering ability, or a Dwarven Hunter with a high engineering ability...I'm leaning more towards the dwarven hunter. The hunter class isn't in the game yet so we'll see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:42 am 
Spammer

Locke_Trinmin wrote:
How can you make more and more accounts? Do you have lots of address Flyoc?

Well having friends who possess domain names can help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:29 pm 
Spammer

Oh yeah that's right...my brother could've done the same thing, but he's lazy. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:45 am 
Spammer

It's been a week, when's the next update?