Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Purpose of WoW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:17 pm 
Spammer

Sorry for the ignorance here (I haven't followed this game at all until today reading some of your posts about how much you like the game over SWG.

Is the general play-style the same as SWG? Choose a crafter to make and sell things (in game bazaar or merchant class style?) or make a fighter and go duke it out?

Sounds like it is much easier to log and play (does one require buffs to do entertaining/enjoyable missions?).

You guys are slowly perking my interest.

PS Can't wait for SW Battlefront in the meantime. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:09 pm 

Quote:
Is the general play-style the same as SWG? Choose a crafter to make and sell things (in game bazaar or merchant class style?) or make a fighter and go duke it out?

All characters are in some way a fighter, be it a mage, hunter, rogue, ect. As you start to level you will begin to collect skill points, these skill points you can spend to learn a "crafting" skill from herbalism to blacksmithing. At that point to get seperate xp for your crafting skill each time you use it successfully. As for selling things I never sold anything but people do advertise in chat a bit but there are also auction houses that act like a bazaar it looks like, never looked at it very close though so I dont know exactly how it works. There is no housing in game (I have heard from somewhere that it will come in the future sometime, but dont remember where I saw that) so no real merchant class. To control your "toon" you use the W-A-S-D keys for general movement and have a toolbar for specials, so the movement is a bit different than SWG but not so much that it is difficult to figure out.

Quote:
Sounds like it is much easier to log and play (does one require buffs to do entertaining/enjoyable missions?).

I never had to get buffs from anyone, I just applied the buffs that came with my character, which primarily was a frost armor spell. Other classes have different self buffs, not sure what most of the warrior type classes use but I never once saw any sort of "buff line" like you do in SWG. Other classes can buff you and I have had others buff me but never have asked for one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:26 pm 
Spammer

Daishus wrote:
As you start to level you will begin to collect skill points, these skill points you can spend to learn a "crafting" skill from herbalism to blacksmithing.

Very, very recently they changed this. Now, you can essentially pick two professions, regardless of skill points. First Aid, Fishing and one other (can't think of it and the WoW site is down ATM) are gimmes that everyone can get now. So that mean you can fish, use first aid, mine ore and make weapons. The ability to acquire new "recipes" for items is related only to what the trainer charges for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:44 pm 
Spammer

Quote:
First Aid, Fishing and one other (can't think of it and the WoW site is down ATM) are gimmes that everyone can get now.

I believe the other is cooking. Cooked food lowers the hit point recovery time for a player vs. eating raw food.

I don't want to put a damper on the game for crafters but this is NOT a crafting game. The crafting I did was fun for me, but you should understand that once you have the recipe and you have the materials (for which quality does not vary) then you will produce the exact same thing as anyone else would produce.

My name is Tobias Smith and I approved this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:12 pm 

Im fine with that personally, I am tired of the endless resource hunt for the newer and better resource. Plus for once I was doing crafting for fun instead of as a main profession.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:22 pm 
Spammer

I'm there with you.

For those looking to distinguish themselves as crafters I believe the only way will be to be a better seller. To always have the auction stocked and gain a reputation for always being able to deliver. You won't be able to seperate yourself from others by the shear quality of your merchandise but only by the quality of yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:33 pm 
Spammer

There's always finding that Rare Recipe. I would hope there are only a few of certain elite recipes found.given out. Or that the good ones have a limited use before they must be found again (probably a better solution for the community).

How hard is it to solo this game or how hard will it be to solo at higher levels? Is it that the monsters are there and you have to find the right size party to take them on, or will they adjust based on the strength of the group?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:36 pm 

I solo'd the whole time except when me and another guy was competing for a small group of leper gnomes then we teamed up because they were pretty tough for us at the time and it made getting the things we needed easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:43 pm 
Spammer

Quote:
How hard is it to solo this game or how hard will it be to solo at higher levels? Is it that the monsters are there and you have to find the right size party to take them on, or will they adjust based on the strength of the group?

I believe the further into the game you go the more the need for grouping. My level 16 mage took on a whole series of quests in Westfalls that required some grouping. I found the enemy to be difficult if not impossible to pull singly on one of the missions. This was the first time I had needed a group. I had grouped before for other reasons. This was the first time I felt I needed either to group or move to another area and quest there to gain exp until I could return.