Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:33 pm 
Spammer

I apologize to the players that I hyped this game to who have had numerous issues since getting in on Monday. The game started lagging on Monday, prior to this I had no issues with it of any significance. The game for me in the zones I am playing is unplayable right now.

It is not all due to the load of the extra players in the game as I am having the problems even at way off hours when the load is listed as light. I got lag killed 3 times last night by mobs four levels lower than me. This is crazy even for a beta, when it's the OPEN beta, 10 days before release. I am hugely disappointed in this game for the first time since I started surfing the boards on it months and months ago. The game was better than this, I pray they work out these issues prior to release or I will be headed elsewhere.

My name is Tobias Smith and I approved this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:53 pm 

It is tough to play, but my hope is an issue like this can be corrected. Maybe I'm naive, but isn't it a good bet it has something to do with the latest patch. Didn't the lag issue start then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:57 pm 
Spammer

The game will be fine.

Trust me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:05 pm 
Spammer

GodOfGophers wrote:
It is tough to play, but my hope is an issue like this can be corrected. Maybe I'm naive, but isn't it a good bet it has something to do with the latest patch. Didn't the lag issue start then?

It started on Monday, don't remember what day we patched on, but it was around then, yes. I have faith they are trying to fix it, but I can't guarantee they will. My initial purchase of time will likely be one month instead of the six I had planned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

The game as a whole blows SWG out the water. The graphics are better, the sound is better, the missions are better, the game play is better.

BUT the lag can destroy all the positive things about this game in a hart beat. Over half the time my imp will not enter the game after I summon him. When my wife or I loot a corpse, we lag for at least a minute. Meanwhile new spawns appear and kill our crouch frozen asses.

The devs are aware of this issue. There is no doubt in my mind this lag issue will be fixed. This afternoon things improved greatly for my wife and I… but things must change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:09 am 
Spammer

Absolutely no lag on the EU servers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:49 am 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
The game as a whole blows SWG out the water. The graphics are better, the sound is better, the missions are better, the game play is better.

BUT the lag can destroy all the positive things about this game in a hart beat.

No one is (was) a bigger fan of this game when it works than me. You are absolutely right about the lag though. When it's this severe it make the game unplayable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:43 am 
Spammer

I was just going to make a post about this too, actually. The lag isn't as bad if you never loot anything, or actually do anything that might require info from the server besides killing stuff. Like that ever happens. :roll:

Anyway, I couldn't even die properly tonight. I would die, and my spirit simply would not release. The lag was too great. I couldn't log or even exit the game. It wouldn't even recognize that I was using the commands. Very weird. I could see all the monster that had killed me (standing in their default postures) and a group of players attacking them (even when the montsters died, they didn't change stance) and then the players moving on. Chat would lag a little. But the rest was so horribly laggy.

I think the most recent patch did have something to do with it. Prior to that patch, everything was perfectly smooth sailing. For me, I don't think this is a killer. It is still beta (sorta) and the game launch is still two weeks away. I'm sure they'll have a patch to fix the lag by then.

If not, and the game is that laggy at launch, I'd still almost have to say that the game is launching in better shape than SWG did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:56 am 
Spammer

I was experiencing normal play for a period of time (2-3 minutes) followed by approximately 20-25 seconds of ... "nothing." Commands to attack (either via my pet or myself) seemed to have no effect. Summoned pets didn't appear and looted items were just in limbo.

I have full confidence in Blizzard resolving this. Whether they can so we still can enjoy a good part of the open beta remains to be seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:12 am 
Spammer

ust to try some stuff out, I started another character on a Mountain time zone server (there are only 4) where there aren't any people, or very few. My lag time is almost always unnoticable or non-existant. Once in a while the game stutters for a half second or so when looting. That is all. It almost makes me wonder if they are having a database problem, since the lag doesn't seem to depend on traffic at all, but rather total population on the server, whether or not they are online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:09 am 

The way server 1 behaves right now it's almost unplayable, but I have full confidence in Blizzard taking care of this issue before launch. Let's remember this is still beta and these problems are meant to be discovered here so they have a little while to fix them. Granted, there's not much time until launch but I still think the lag will be mostly gone before launch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:04 pm 

Lag hasnt been to much of a issue for me, except while looting, fishing or crafting. I havent had any lag deaths from mobs, only the occasional idiot death. The Major problem I had yesterday was I got stuck on a boat. TRied taking the boat from Elf lands to Human lands and had a crash to desktop, it would then not allow me in at all, saying Dash was still in the server. Well I finally figured out my problem I had to time my reentry into the world with a stop at a harbor since I was still stuck on the boat, otherwise I just errored out. Other than that I enjoyed myself yesterday in elf lands and even was able to go from level 17 to 18 doing quests (that sunken ship quest where you have to swim down into sucken ships to retrieve lock boxes was a bugger)

Anyways this was posted on the boards somewhere (got it from Thottbot News)
----------------
slouken
Blizzard - Programmer
Creature AI, etc.

posted 2004-11-12 04:50:43 (CST-1), discovered 2004-11-11 23:01:15 (CST), 11.1 hours old

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, the lag is caused by overload on our databases. We're working to resolve the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:32 pm 

It was still very harsh this morning. Actually the worse I've ever seen it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:06 pm 

Why doesn't everyone just go to a different server? It's a simple solution isn't it? There have been no lag issues for me over the past day and a half on server 40(i think) eastern standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:10 pm 
Spammer

I started a Tauren Druid last night on eastern test 20.

No lag. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:48 pm 

Tauren Druids are lots of fun.

Should we consider moving to a separate server for the remainder of ST? Or do people want to stick it out? I'll be playing EQ2 most of the time to figure out which game I like best so I don't really care. But it sounds like this overpopulation on Test1 is a gamestopper for some of you.

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:00 pm 
Spammer

My lvl 3 Undead Mage named Bruce on East Coast server "Test 40" is experiencing no lag whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:18 pm 
Spammer

Barcalla wrote:
Why doesn't everyone just go to a different server? It's a simple solution isn't it? There have been no lag issues for me over the past day and a half on server 40(i think) eastern standard.

This is a brand new server, because as of Monday they only had 36 open if I remember correctly. I might try a different one but I had hoped to experiment with some higher level content before the end of the beta. That will of course be a no go if I have to start over at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:25 pm 
Spammer

tobiasds wrote:

This is a brand new server, because as of Monday they only had 36 open if I remember correctly. I might try a different one but I had hoped to experiment with some higher level content before the end of the beta. That will of course be a no go if I have to start over at this point.

You do what you have to. I can understand wanting to see some higher content.

But since I won't be playing the game right away the lag is driving me nuts so I'm gonna make another druid on test 40 eastern look for zoruk this evening there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:04 pm 
Spammer

The lag is almost as bad on test 40.

I logged into my test 20 eastern character Zorruk and it wasn't as bad.

So hopefully I'll see some of you later tonight...someplace. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:15 am 
Spammer

Blizz wrote a good PR peice on the lag issue:

Some Blizz Community Guy wrote:
Hi all,

A number of inquiries have come in about the lag issues on some of the servers, so we want to take some time to provide more in-depth information for you. Some of you might be surprised to learn that the lag you’re experiencing is an expected and necessary part of the open beta test. Contrary to what some of you might believe, the open beta test is intended as a massive stress test, and not just a free demo of the game prior to launch.

Having hundreds of thousands of testers playing the game at this time lets us analyze how well our server infrastructure -- made up of the best, most up-to-date hardware available -- can handle extremely large server populations. In fact, the open beta test is allowing us to simulate having an even greater number of testers spread across even more servers than we currently have up. In terms of concurrency, we’re already seeing servers with twice as much population as we had during the closed beta test, and our total overall concurrency, across all servers, is already rivaling that of the most popular MMORPGs currently available. Keep in mind, also, that this population is distributed across a relatively small number of servers -- again, for the exact purpose of stress testing them.

In general, lag issues are caused when thousands of players congregate in one or two zones on a server. When this happens, the normal communication that comes from the server -- which includes information about every NPC, monster, player, item, etc. in the area -- increases to the point where the flow of data can get backed up.

For those of you who are concerned about server stability and possible loss of character-related information, take heart knowing that the lag you experience when this backup happens is not at all related to stability; it’s more of an issue with how quickly the data is handled. That is, with an excess of communication from the servers, the data remains stable, it just has to wait its turn in line to be processed. Running a massive open beta test like this allows us to steadily optimize how the data is processed.

With half a million people having signed up and been accepted into the open beta test, we have the unique opportunity of being able to fine tune our code prior to release in a way that most other MMORPGs have not. These code optimizations are done server side and do not require players to patch. As more and more testers finish their beta-client installations and start logging on, we’ll be able to do even more analysis and optimization prior to release. While this process brings about a challenge for those of you facing lag issues, it ultimately helps us maintain our schedule of analyzing and optimizing our code for all of our servers, including the ones that have yet to be brought online.

We are looking forward to having hundreds of thousands of players enter the world of Azeroth on November 23, and we‘re grateful that you all have the interest and the patience to help us do this last, sometimes challenging, bit of testing. Your assistance with this will truly help us ensure that World of Warcraft will run as smoothly as possible at launch.

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:52 am 
Spammer

Well got my test 40 druid up to lvl 8 before tonight's incident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:46 am 
Spammer

moonraker66 wrote:
Well got my test 40 druid up to lvl 8 before tonight's incident.

Server fall down and go boom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:57 am 
Spammer

Golga Bolg wrote:
Blizz wrote a good PR peice on the lag issue:

Some Blizz Community Guy wrote:
Hi all,

A number of inquiries have come in about the lag issues on some of the servers, so we want to take some time to provide more in-depth information for you. Some of you might be surprised to learn that the lag you’re experiencing is an expected and necessary part of the open beta test. Contrary to what some of you might believe, the open beta test is intended as a massive stress test, and not just a free demo of the game prior to launch.

Having hundreds of thousands of testers playing the game at this time lets us analyze how well our server infrastructure -- made up of the best, most up-to-date hardware available -- can handle extremely large server populations. In fact, the open beta test is allowing us to simulate having an even greater number of testers spread across even more servers than we currently have up. In terms of concurrency, we’re already seeing servers with twice as much population as we had during the closed beta test, and our total overall concurrency, across all servers, is already rivaling that of the most popular MMORPGs currently available. Keep in mind, also, that this population is distributed across a relatively small number of servers -- again, for the exact purpose of stress testing them.

In general, lag issues are caused when thousands of players congregate in one or two zones on a server. When this happens, the normal communication that comes from the server -- which includes information about every NPC, monster, player, item, etc. in the area -- increases to the point where the flow of data can get backed up.

For those of you who are concerned about server stability and possible loss of character-related information, take heart knowing that the lag you experience when this backup happens is not at all related to stability; it’s more of an issue with how quickly the data is handled. That is, with an excess of communication from the servers, the data remains stable, it just has to wait its turn in line to be processed. Running a massive open beta test like this allows us to steadily optimize how the data is processed.

With half a million people having signed up and been accepted into the open beta test, we have the unique opportunity of being able to fine tune our code prior to release in a way that most other MMORPGs have not. These code optimizations are done server side and do not require players to patch. As more and more testers finish their beta-client installations and start logging on, we’ll be able to do even more analysis and optimization prior to release. While this process brings about a challenge for those of you facing lag issues, it ultimately helps us maintain our schedule of analyzing and optimizing our code for all of our servers, including the ones that have yet to be brought online.

We are looking forward to having hundreds of thousands of players enter the world of Azeroth on November 23, and we‘re grateful that you all have the interest and the patience to help us do this last, sometimes challenging, bit of testing. Your assistance with this will truly help us ensure that World of Warcraft will run as smoothly as possible at launch.

Unfortunately this sounds like them playing catch up. They could have informed us of this prior to the "Open Beta". They also could have named it more honestly. They were obviously not prepared for this level of interest. They claim there will be many more servers when the game goes to retail when in fact they've 40 servers up now and have already said they planned for 48 in retail. 8 extra servers is a great many more? I am hoping they are adding extras for launch. I am worried they won't be ready till after and they will have a massive majority on the original 48 with a bunch of empty servers coming later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:23 am 
Spammer

Not trying to bash the game, just letting out a little frustration.

Quote:
World of Warcraft® Final Stress Test FAQ

What is the final stress test?

The final stress test is an additional phase of testing that the developers have deemed necessary in order to prepare the game for open beta. Those who play in the final stress test will be helping to finalize the game code so that it is ready for deployment in the open beta phase.

Quote:
World of Warcraft® Open Beta FAQ

What is the open beta?

As World of Warcraft gets closer to completion, we need to conduct another phase of beta testing for final balancing and bug fixing. This phase of testing is the open beta. Many final aspects of the game are being implemented in their most complete form in the open beta, and we will need this time to test these elements as rigorously as possible to ensure that they are completed for the game's launch.

The Blizz post gives me hope they are going to get the lag problems fixed. The trouble is that they have been caught with their britches down and are trying to make it up. This was not planned. This is why it scares me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:17 am 
Spammer

No, it wasn't planned. But still, it is Blizzard. These guys have an absolutely perfect track record up until now. If it flops on launch day, then we'll have issues. But I still remain cautiously, but highly, optimistic.

With 500,000 people doing open beta, that has to rock some socks in other companies, and it also means they can afford to hire as many people and work as much overtime as they need to fix any problems. They are going to make a killing on this game.

Also, it isn't like it is some random code causing other random codes to behave oddly. It is a database issue (woohoo, I called it!), which even SWG had fixed within a day or two of having the problem with their databases early on. If SWG and SOE can fix that problem in a short amount of time, I'm sure Blizzard can have it fixed for launch.

Also, from that post (maybe I misread it) it sounds like they are putting "servers" on one server to simulate heavier traffic. That does have to put some serious crunch on things. I could be wrong on that, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:37 am 
Spammer

Interestingly enough, I'm playing on Server 1 right now, it has a high population online, and the lag is gone. Completely gone. They may have fixed it already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:06 pm 
Spammer

They seem to have fixed it late last night. Mind you a lot of people had logged off by that time but it really did seem different.

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:07 pm 
Spammer

It was funny because I got home last night and expected to see a bunch of Avians online on server 1. It was only Cyrus online though. I ran out of Stormwind headed for westfalls and tried by new level 18 fireball on one of the level 6 clowns on the way. I looted her then got attacked by another and the lag started up again. I ran all the way to Westfall with damage ticking off on my portrait but my healthbar not moving. When I saw absolutely nothing in Westfall and the next zone I tried to quit. Didn't work so I just alt-tabbed out and closed the game . Logged on later so I could save my character in Stormwind and he was already there.

Glad to hear things may be going better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:56 pm 
Spammer

Things are much, much better - I hopped in-game with Golig on Test 1 and had excellent performance while fighting, mining, looting and gaining experience. Didn't get to IF to do any crafting however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:21 pm 
Spammer

I did have a lot of success most everywhere today, but in the area around Iron Forge it was just as bad as it has been in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:07 pm 
Spammer

Stop worrying about the lag issue. Have faith in Blizzard. This isn't SOE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

WoW on CNN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:42 pm 
Spammer

Locke_Trinmin wrote:
Stop worrying about the lag issue. Have faith in Blizzard. This isn't SOE.

I am only bitching amongst my closest online friends. :D

I'll stop worrying when I can craft a potion in the normal amount time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:55 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:

lol. That's lovely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:17 pm 

My guess is that Blizzard is testing just how far they can push their servers before playability takes a hit. After all servers cost money and Blizzard like everyone else will want to use as few as possible but I'm sure they won't compromise once the game goes retail.

Reports in this thread that the lag issue is reduced or even nearly gone strenghtens my confidence in Blizzard and their ability to get WoW finished before launch.

If you're still worried that this game will be a flop, buy the one month subscription and switch to EQII if WoW doesn't fulfill your expectations after a couple of weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:40 pm 
Spammer

Kharlaq wrote:

Reports in this thread that the lag issue is reduced or even nearly gone strenghtens my confidence in Blizzard and their ability to get WoW finished before launch.

The lag was WAY back the last time I was able to play this about 3 hours ago.

I know they are working/testing the servers, but it is frustrating this game is ALOT of fun. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:42 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:

ROFL! Someone did a pretty nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:31 am 
Spammer

Allright, now I'm aggravated.

I WANT TO PLAY WOW NOW!!!

LOCKE SMASH!!!

lol.... :D :lol: :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:58 am 
Site Admin

Sat. morning old news wrote:
We are currently experiencing technical difficulties which are causing a number of servers to be unavailable. We are devoting all our resources to resolving these issues and hope to have a resolution soon. Unfortunately, we do not yet have an ETA for when these servers will return to normal service but updates will be posted in the Server Status forum as soon as we have more information.

This issue is also affecting our Game Masters’ ability to assist customers. As such, any requests for help concerning these servers currently in the petition queue cannot be answered, nor will players be able to submit additional requests for help until the issue is resolved. Thank you for bearing with us and we apologize for the inconvenience!

Specifically, the following servers are affected:

Beta Server 2
PvP
Test 4
Test 7
Test 10
Test 11
Test 15
Test 22
Test 26
Test 29
Test 30
Test 33
Test 34
Test 39
Test 41

Sat. Night new news wrote:
The network engineers continue to work to resolve the server issues. We do not have an ETA on when the server issues will be resolved but are working hard to provide an ETA as soon as possible.

Please be patient and we will provide updates as they come.