Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:52 pm 
Spammer

I give them a B-.

I am quite dissappointed in Blizzard's server stability at launch. Now they can suggest that unprecedented demand caused unreasonable stress on servers, but I had expected more.

Blizzard has made a game that PLAYS very very well. I suppose they know as much as the next company when it comes to dealing with MMORPG server demends. Diablo is not a fair comparison since Blizzard.net is really just a matching service, and does not actually perform game calculations (or at least nothing to the scale of a MMORPG.)

The other thing that bothers me is the relative lack of information. Our main server is down, and the only comment is:

Blizzard Community Rep wrote:
We are experiencing high network traffic through our east coast data center. We are working to resolve the issue and will update you further very shortly. We apologize for the delay.

So, I've seen better launches (CoH), and worse launches (too many to name) so overall, I think they rate a B- so far.

EDIT: does NOT

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Last edited by Golga Bolg on Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:59 pm 
Spammer

I think that's a pretty fair grade, Golga. IMHO, their level or rather lack of communication is what drops their grade from something higher.

I'm sure they'll have a more robust method of communicating server status but that type of information should be common sense in an MMOG by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:44 pm 

I've a feeling it has something to do with money. They estimate how many people will play the release. then they buy more servers if they see that their current amount isn't supporting the players. I assume the issue of lag will be fixed in the coming weeks as they gauge how much more hardware they need.
the most amount of ppl for least amount of servers = money for blizzard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:40 am 
Site Admin

I had 0 problems on day one. I was amazed!

But from the reports I have heard from Avians, things must have plummeted while I was knee deep in school work yesterday. That is so sad considering how good the game was for me during the hour I played Tuesday night.

I agree about the lack of info. I have seen this trend all of beta. The devs seem to be more focused on fixing things than they are keeping us informed. I guess their priorities are in the right place, but we all like more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:46 am 
Spammer

Barcalla wrote:
I've a feeling it has something to do with money. They estimate how many people will play the release. then they buy more servers if they see that their current amount isn't supporting the players. I assume the issue of lag will be fixed in the coming weeks as they gauge how much more hardware they need.
the most amount of ppl for least amount of servers = money for blizzard

Yeh but the people who get on first are forever fu**ed because their servers are far more overloaded than the ones the skinflints add later.

My name is Tobias Smith and I approved this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:47 am 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
I had 0 problems on day one. I was amazed!.

So was I. However, it seems we were playing before most people had activated their accounts. When the servers were flooded things went downhill fast, with queues for the servers (better than just capping the servers IMO) and now the long downtime while they are transferring the database.

The most amusing comment I heard about the queues was: "Maybe they should set up no-wait servers for their paying customers like FilePlanet" :)

Edgrim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:43 pm 
Spammer

Maybe this will shut up all the Blizzard fanatics saying that a MMO is no more difficult to run than a single player game.... it IS hard work.

I fully expect them to have things hammered out in a few days...

But, with the type of crowd this game is appealing too... I suspect that they will hear alot of uninformed and stupid comments from here on out.

Personally, I don't think stupid people should be allowed to game.. but oh well....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:00 pm 
Spammer

They're allowed to procreate and drive cars...gaming probably should be third on the list :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with Mantison! :D