Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skinning or mining
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:58 pm 

Which is most needed in your opinion? I am considering dropping tailoring on Dara for one of these two because I dont even work on tailoring anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:18 pm 
Spammer

Both are good moneymakers and I'm sure you'll always find people to take your goods in the guild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:26 pm 
Spammer

What moneymakers?

I have skinning and can only sell Heavy Leather.

I think I auction about 1 set for every 9 I give to the guild. Do I need to start charging guildmates for this or do I need to get higher level (at 32 right now) to get into some higher level area to always get heavy drops (and better)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Charge a modest fee if you have to. Just remember that if you charge them, they will charge you. For me it always seems I do better not to charge, because others tend to always be in position to help me more than I can help them. But truth be known, by the time we are all lvl 30, we should be able to repay the cost. Not the ridiculous AH prices... but fair cost to fellow members.

But also, you say you can sell only heavy leather. That is the way it is with all professions. Some items sell and some never will. Out of my Alchemy I can only sell 5% of the potions I make. The rest are either not worth the cost, or not in demand. That is how it is with the lower leathers. People would buy more of them if other people did not sell them so high. Leather unlike many other things, is free to acquire... so most people like me will not pay much for the easy stuff to get (low level leather). Only the harger stuff will be worth what people are asking for at the AH.

There are many great places to skin better leather. Mantison has a post about a great cave. Danyale and I found another just north of mantisons cave. Also my brother told me last night how there are is series of missions in north Stranglethorn Vale where you have to kill 10 of all kinds of sinkable monsters, then 10 of another… so on and so on. Because so many players have to do the missions, there are dead bodies all over... all of which are sinkable.

Anyway, selling Heavy leather on the auction house, or heavy armor kits will earn you great money. Danyale does this and she always has more money that I. I bet she sells 1/4th of leather she gets, and makes items for Avians with the other 3/4th .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:06 pm 
Spammer

I've got no complaints, but I am poor.

Thanks for the heads-up on the caves, but the Yeti cave in the Arathi Highlands is no place for a frost based mage :wink:

I'm just saying money-maker is really more a matter of the level you are rather than the profession you have chosen. It might be different if I chose a crafting profession as well, but I decided to do resource gathering as my play time is limited and I know the crafting would suck me in and kill my in-game time.

I understand why the mediums and lights are not in demand (because they are easy get) and that most people in this game are probably ahead of me level-wise and making, finding, or gathering better items.

Also, I don't ask for much, and all Avians that I have dealt with have been more than generous. I know I want some enchantments, but I need to see about supplying some of those items in order to get what I need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Another thing worthy of note: The items in demand are in many ways a function of the average player level in the game. Now don’t let me fool you, I did not do any math to verify that statements… but I think it is true none the less.

What was a hot seller a month ago is today’s waste of space. Take lesser healing potions. At one time those things were very much in demand. But as the player majority levels up their health needs a bigger boost, thus they no longer buy the little stuff, and only want the big potions. It is like that with leather, it is like that with cloth, it is like that with bags… it is everywhere.

Conversely, there will always be new characters. Better yet there will start to be new characters with a bankroll from a higher level alt. A smart business man would see the overlooked niches and supply the new void. The key is finding that niche.

One non tweak example: Danyale made a whole leather armor outfit for a new member. The problem Danyale had was she no longer gets light leather from the creatures she skins. And the armor she needed for the armor was all light leather. Unlike in the past, Danyale was willing to buy the light leather. However she is still not a fool. There are many light leathers up for sell at the AH. I am sure 90% of them failed to sell. However a few stacks did sell that night… and *news alert* the ones she bought were not highest priced stacks.

Moral of the story is, don’t overprice the low level stuff. It is low level, but if you price it right big kids will buy rather gather waste their time gathering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:47 am 
Site Admin

As far as money makers go I would think Mining is a good seller. the way I look at selling things is this. I really dont care much about what I sell my "junk" for and while I know that my extra stacks of wool, silk, linen and even sometimes copper, tin and silver are not silk the fact is they cost me nothing to get.

I am a passive miner, I always have 'find minerals' on and it I see a node I mine it I very rarely go out looking got nodes. With that in mind, if I where to sell some minerals I look at the current prices and usually half them. Case in point I sold 4/20 stacks of wool in about 5 minutes on AH. I think the market price was like 50s, I have little use for wool so I just needed to clear these items out. I priced them at I think arounf 25s. 2 stacks literally sold before I could run from AH to the bank - fluke? Maybe, but Ill try again to test it out.

Point is, I really dont care about 'being rich' I just want to be able to buy my mount right when I hit 40. With that in mind I sell everything to move and this strategy has worked for me quite well.

The good thing about mining is copper (the base resource) is needed in absolutley everything. So even at level 255 I can still sell my copper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:03 am 

/threadjack on

Arindel wrote:
I know I want some enchantments, but I need to see about supplying some of those items in order to get what I need.

Hook up with me next time you get the chance; I know I can do at least a few enchantments for you with what I have.

/threadjack off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:32 pm 
Spammer

Even if you just sell the light and medium leather to vendors its still a moneymaker especially because you're not plunking down cash to learn new recipes or patterns all the time.

My skin/herb toon is by far my richest because he doesn't have to spend money learning recipes or patterns.

Thats all I meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with that. Even when I dont want to sell stuff on AH I just sell to vendors. 20 stack of silk bandages (require 1 silk to make in first aid) well for like 50s.
This is a great profit for doing nothing but my normal hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:26 pm 

I think I will be going skinning, because I already have a find herbs up all the time and a find mineral will interfere with that. So once I get started here in the next couple days if anyone has a need for light leather let me know otherwise I will start putting them on the AH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:39 pm 

I agree with Cyrus' approach to the AH. I don't price things below minimum, however, I just look for the lowest price and set it to that. So far the biggest moneymaker I've had an abundance of has been wool cloth(which is a pretty common drop from humanoids once you get to level 20). I sold 3 stacks at 40s each very quickly.

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------